close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Insurer cancels H.O. Policy because of Police Dog

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by wrenrj1, Oct 24, 2012.

1. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
  2. x_out86

x_out86

Feb 19, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Wow...I am thinking that American Family is going to see a lot of bad press from this. For once if you read the comments on the story people actually support the officer and are talking about cancelling any policies with AmFam.

3. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    They can. It may not be 'fair', but it is within the insurer's right to do so. Working dogs have gotten loose in my area and bitten citizens on occasion.

The city/county/State/Federal government should indemnify the employee for any injurious acts or liability incurred by the dog.

4. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

If a person owns the dog as a private citizen I can see where an insurance company may go by statistical analysis of claims concerning incidents.

As far as working dogs go I agree with blueiron.

5. Insurance companies treat dogs differently based on breed. Shop around , there are some that don't care what dog you own. When I retired I worked for an large insurance company for a bit and learned how different they can be as far as policy restrictions.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

6. merlynusn

merlynusn

Nov 16, 2007
    NC
    Just get every cop you know who has American Family to cancel their policy and explain why. I'm sure that'll get their attention.

7. That's just plain wrong! Don't they realize the training these K-9 officers go thru???

8. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    While I agree that some breeds are more volatile than others, here you have a county that insures the person/dog against this thus not holding the H.O.'s insurance company responsible.

9. x_out86

x_out86

Feb 19, 2007
    Wisconsin
  10. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    Another more in depth article. They finally decided they stepped on their wieners...
    http://journalstar.com/news/nationa...cle_c7f320f6-4fb7-50cf-859c-1f5da135f977.html

And by the way, just wanna say thanks for those K9 handlers both PD and military that live and serve with their partners. 24/7 is more to you all when you have to take your partner out to do business, go to the Vet. etc. and how they become part of your family. Again, thanks and stay safe.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  11. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Interesting. It still makes me glad I don't have a policy through them.

12. He will have to get the county attorney's office to fight for him. That is pretty crappy if you ask me. That shows that big business is mean to everyone. :shocked:

13. merlynusn

merlynusn

Nov 16, 2007
    NC
    You notice the insurance company is "looking at changing its policies." It also didn't say that they would reinstate the Deputy's policy and make amends.

ETA: They are obviously only doing this until the media storm blows over. Then it'll be back to business as usual.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  14. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    Good point, I believe he already got a new policy with another company. Still this is something to be aware of in the LEO community. What will they look at next that's job related to LEO's or other fields?