close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Installing TruGlo Fiber Optic Sights

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by WILLSARV, Oct 20, 2010.

1. WILLSARV

WILLSARV

Jan 11, 2004
    I have a set of TruGlo Fiber Optics ordered for my G-19. It looks like the rear sight has a set screw. Has anyone installed these and do you need a sight adjustment tool to install?

Thanks

2. Zertek

Zertek

Nov 21, 2005
    Yes you really need a sight adjustment to install them. IMHO

3. WILLSARV

WILLSARV

Jan 11, 2004
    The picture looks like there is a set screw. If they are tight enough that you need a adjustment tool why would there be a set screw?

Just wondering.

4. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Jun 25, 2004
    Texas
    i've instaleld them and you don't need a tool, but i'd say it's much better to have one.

5. WILLSARV

WILLSARV

Jan 11, 2004
    Will the rear slide in rather easy with a wood dowel rod?

Thanks

6. Keoking

Keoking

Jan 4, 2005
    Rowlett, TX
    I've installed 6 sets of TFOs on my Glocks. Let it suffice to say that TruGlo's workmanship leaves a little something to be desired. A couple could slide in with little or no pressure. A couple had to be filed to even start to fit in the dovetail. A couple slid halfway in and needed moderate pressure to seat in the center (aka the desired size).
    I have a nylon tipped punch that I used to drift mine in. Without one of these, a small wood dowel would be ok. The finish on TFOs is also questionable. On a couple of mine, the finish has held up perfectly. On a couple, it oxidized or corroded just sitting in a climate controlled safe. On one, it chipped off with the first strike from the nylon tipped punch.
    Enough complaining about the poor quality. I have them on all my Glocks, and they are impossible to beat for day or night shooting. I am still amazed by how bright they are at night.

7. sleepygreen

sleepygreen

Mar 28, 2006
    how do you get the front one in without the tiny 3/16" wrench?

8. TcRoc

TcRoc Phillies Fan !!

Jul 23, 2007
    SouthEast, Pa.
    You don't..

Nylon punch drifted my Truglo in my Gen4 19 no problems ,

9. curlysir

curlysir

Aug 15, 2011
    NE Texas
    I just received a set of these sights. And it is a little confusing at first and there is no instructions included for installation of the rear sight or the purpose of the allen wrench. I was about to ask about installation when I found this post.

I have a sight pusher and will use it to install. Hope mine fit without filing.

Been reading a lot about them and wanted to compare with the Meprolight I currently have on all my Glocks. Now, I just have to figure out which one to install them on.

10. curlysir

curlysir

Aug 15, 2011
    NE Texas
    Installed without any problem using a sight pusher. I put a drop of Blue Threadlocker on the set screw and backed it off a 1/4 turn from bottom. The sight went it similar to the Meprolight and I didn't see any need to tighten the screw.

Only problem is that I like the new sight so well I will probably end of buying more for my other Glocks. Sure is bright in daylight, Very little if any difference in the dark from the Meprolight.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  11. DRJ1911

DRJ1911

Jun 30, 2011
    I just added TFOs to my 19 and 27 tonight. Can't wait to try them out.

Doyle

12. cornfused

cornfused

Oct 7, 2011
    Got some TFO's yesterday and wow, they are bright anytime night or day!

13. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

Nov 29, 2003
    I installed a set of TFO's on a Gen1 G17 slide two days ago. The front was no problem, secured with the Glock hex tool and some Uncle Mike's "Guntite" (blue threadlocker; sets in 30 minutes). The rear, however, was TOUGH to get into the dovetail. I pressed it in as far as I could with finger pressure, and then mounted the slide into the MGW tool. I was able to turn the handle several times, but got stuck about 1/2 of the way on. Seeing that the sight wasn't crooked, I decided to bend the rules and vise-up the t-handle of the sight tool (with the slide mounted in the tool). Worked great! The sight slid into place as I turned the body of the sight tool. No damage to tool or slide, and I qualified with the gun later that evening (It's a G17 that started life as a Gen1, but had the frame replaced with a Gen3 under warranty from Glock). The fit of the rear sight in the dovetail is so tight, though, that the set screw is unnecessary. I'm thinking that some dovetail tolerances are tighter than others even within the same model of Glock pistol, as my internet research indicates that the TFO's are usually known to push-on with little effort. Not mine, though. Like I said, the sights are on straight. Everything stayed-put through 200+ rounds of +P ammo. I'm VERY happy. This was a fun-gun project that has turned-out well, as the sights were a boss'-day gift from my unit.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  14. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Bright under all light conditions. They stand-out at night (mine have the yellow rear/green front. The yellow is slightly muted by design). The elements are open to light only on top, so if the ambient light is coming from above, they stand-out in the daytime, too. They are less bright if the light isn't directly above you.

15. raceroch

raceroch

Jan 4, 2012
    do all TFO fit all models? i have a g21 and cant seem to get the rear sight centered without a tool and am hesitant to push it any harder... suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012