close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Installing night sights???

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by Glock23shooter, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Glock23shooter

Glock23shooter FN Herstal

Aug 28, 2009
    Tampa, FL.
    Well not long ago i bought some Truglo night sights for my G22 i installed the front sight now i just need help doing the rear sight. i did it the stupid ghetto way by getting a small flat head and hammer punching it out. Damaged up the stock rear sight so i left it alone. My friend said to buy a tool puncher and do it that way.

Any sugestions???

2. TXNAV8R

TXNAV8R

Aug 15, 2010
    I used to use brass punches but then I got some nylon drifts that work better and don't mark your stuff up.

3. Glock23shooter

Aug 28, 2009
    Tampa, FL.
    i have brass rods like the long rod to clean riffle barrel's would that work and a hammer?

4. TXNAV8R

TXNAV8R

Aug 15, 2010
    Noooooooo....

Don't be "that guy" who uses the wrong tool for the job, especially when it comes to firearms. Either get some proper punches and drifts or take it to a gunsmith. They are not expensive, I think a 5 pack of nylon drifts cost me maybe $5.00. If you are unfamiliar with that stuff, get it done and watch how they do it. You are going to need some locktite as well neways.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  5. Glock23shooter

Aug 28, 2009
    Tampa, FL.
    I did the front sight already which was very easy, i ended up sanding down the piece that goes into the hole of the slide for proper fiting. I guess i'll get the drift's then but i was wondering if a puncher would work better?

6. TXNAV8R

TXNAV8R

Aug 15, 2010
    What kind of sights are they? You used locktite up front, right? I've never had to sand on any sights for a Glock.

Not sure what a puncher is.

7. Glock23shooter

Aug 28, 2009
    Tampa, FL.
    Yes the first tiem i put too much lock tight and it ended up drying inside the threads so i couldnt get the screw all the way in. Cleaned the threads out and did it perfect. Now this time i use VERY little lock tight almost barely lol.

Edit: I sanded down the bottom part that way i did less hammering getting the front sight in then before. Fit nice and perfect now.

8. Engineer

Engineer

May 21, 2000
    NE Ohio
    The stock, plastic rear sights are garbage and will deform if you use a punch to drift them out (they'll deform as well if you use a sight pusher). When you install the rear night sight, it's best to use a sight pusher vs. a punch because you are not imparting an impulse of force as you would get from using a punch.

It is possible to whack a sight hard enough that you crack the vial and allow the tritium gas to escape. That being said, it is also very possible to use a punch to install night sights. The trick is making sure that there is just enough resistance between the night sight and the dovetail groove. If a particular sight is too large, then you'll end up wacking away too hard on it when you should be taking a file to the sight to fit it properly. That's where having some experience installing sights is helpful.

9. bentbiker

bentbiker NRA Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    If, by "puncher" you mean "pusher", the answer is yes. You have to be crazy to bang on night sights containing glass vials of radioactive gas. I believe every manufacturer says to use a pusher. The right tool will protect your investment and last a lifetime -- all for as little as $65.

10. bentbiker

bentbiker NRA Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Not my experience using a pusher with sloped sides and staying low on the sight.

11. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

Feb 8, 2009
    MICHIGAN
    Either buy a sight pusher, OR take it to a gunsmith who has one.

12. toddmog

toddmog

May 28, 2007
    Kansas
    What??? You don't need to hammer the front sight to get it in. You should be able to drop it in and tighten the nut inside the slide. Sounds like you need to take you Glock to a shop and let a gunsmith install them for you. It would be $10 well spent.

13. guns54

guns54 toni

Aug 10, 2008
    Ohio
    If your not sure,take it to a gun smith, Dont screw them up. This way,if any thing gos wrong,its on him to make it right.have a safe and nice night. good luck.

14. TXNAV8R

TXNAV8R

Aug 15, 2010
    You should not be hammering the front sight. It just drops in... I'd recommend that you stop messing with your gun and get the sights installed and the front sight checked out to make sure you did not screw anything up.

15. Glock23shooter

Aug 28, 2009
    Tampa, FL.
    Thanks for some of the replies guys. Fist off, those who have these sights Know they will not fit right in the hole of the slide without doing a little work to them...i'm sure all night sight's aren't the same. As for gunsmith most stores charge over $50 and more to install them, why pay them if i know i can do it myself. only difference is they have the perfect tools for them....i did the front sight and came out pretty nice.

16. toddmog

toddmog

May 28, 2007
    Kansas
    You are right...I don't have any Truglo sights. While my experience is limited to only 8 Glocks, I have never had to do any fitting on a front sight when using Trijicon or Meprolight night sites.

You should really look into a different shop if they want to charge you over $50 for a less than 10 minute job. Before I had tools, a shop only charged me $10 to take nite sites off of my G19 and put them on my G27 and put factory sites back on the G19. That was even in IL where the gun shops in my area were known for raping you.

Because if they screw up the sites during install, it's on them. If you screw them up, it's on you. I cringe at the thought of banging on anything with a tritium vial in it. However, with all things internet related...YMMV

17. elde

elde Lifetime Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Tx
    Glock23:

Yes, some front sights do require fitting in order to drop into the slot on the top of the slide....however a hammer is not the proper tool to use to fit a front sight. A file is sometimes necessary to take just a tiny bit of metal off of the sight.

I'll bet there is a gun store in the Tampa area that charges a minimal amount to install a rear sight on a Glock - using a sight pusher. Believe me, you do not want to use a hammer on TruGlo tritium sights....you are just asking for a broken sight.

Send "tampashooters" (Glocktalk name) a PM. He's very active on this forum and will probably be able to direct you to a dealer that will take care of your issue.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  18. Glock23shooter

Aug 28, 2009
    Tampa, FL.
  19. TXNAV8R

TXNAV8R

Aug 15, 2010
    :rofl:

You are just dead set on ****ing up a perfectly good pistol/sights, aren't you? I hate to sound like a dick but I am doing so for your own good.

Why did you even bother ask for advice when you were just going to ignore every attempt by these good folks to offer up their EXPERIENCE?

Giving you one more post with information till I just let you go on and do what you are going to do. It's real simple.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=513/Product/NYLON_FRONT_SIGHT_DRIFT_PUNCH

This is how I do it... A local gunsmith of mine, well known for his work, does not use pushers. He installs with these nylon punches. All it takes is patience, the nylon is soft enough that any damage done will be taken by the punch itself.

OR

a sight pusher (since you don't want to see how it is done properly)

DONT use those damn NAIL punches!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  20. Engineer

Engineer

May 21, 2000
    NE Ohio