close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Install a new front sight

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by rmeron, Sep 11, 2010.

1. My 26 has a screw on front sight,I want to change it.Can I just get a socket and unscrew and replace.
    Is it really that simple?

2. ICHI

ICHI @#%* !

yes pretty much. and a dab of lock tite after reinstall

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010

3. It is that simple.
    A normal socket won't fit because the wall thickness prevents it from fitting into the slide in that area.
    I found a very nice Glock front sight tool at Bass Pro for like $14.00.
    Works great and you don't have to do all the work grinding down a socket or nut driver.

4. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Aug 20, 2002
    Virginia
    would you not, put the dab of locktite in the threads of the screw?

5. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 NRA Benefactor

Feb 24, 2007
    Sumter, S.C.
    That is the prefered method, small drop on threads, install screw.

6. bentbiker

bentbiker NRA Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Some of the sights, like Ameriglos, come with the front sight tool (nut driver).

7. glock031

glock031

Jun 18, 2010
    Glockparts sell a front sight tool for $6.95. You want to use a drop of red-loctite for installing the new front sight.

8. camario

camario Glockaholic

Oct 31, 2009
    SoCal
    Here's an extremely inexpensive tool fro Glock front sights:

<http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=KQ&prodID=KQGTOOL3&prodTitle=AmeriGlo%20Front%20Sight%20Tool%20Economy%20for%20Glock>

Shipping is a bit though.

Good Luck
    CAMario

9. GunQuest

GunQuest NRA Member

Oct 15, 2002
    New York
    I use blue loctite in case I ever want to change the front sight. Mine have never come loose with the blue!

10. Ogie

Ogie

Jul 27, 2010
    Northwest Indiana
    Yep, the blue holds it just fine. You need heat to loosen up the red. No need for that, in my opinion.

I use something called Guntite. It's made by loctite and it's probably just plain old blue loctite. It works great.

11. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Apr 24, 2004
    I use red and have never had a problem removing sights that were installed using red. It isn't like you are welding the sight in place with red. When I sold off a good portion of my collection, I removed several sights that had red loctite on them and re-installed factory sights.

12. Thanks, I'll order the tool from GlockParts this week.

13. glock031

glock031

Jun 18, 2010
    I also removed without any damage a front sight that was installed by my local GS that used red-loctite. Glockmeister reccomends red also. But use whatever YOU LIKE i'm sure blue would work fine. Don't sweat the small stuff!

14. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    I just got some Trijicon sights for my 26 and 19 and an Ameriglo tool because I didn't have one. Wouldn't you know it, both front sights came with a tool :brickwall: so now I have 3 Glock front sight tools. I changed them out while running out the door with some red locktite...yes its that easy.

15. Just ordered the $6.95 +$3.00 shipping economy front sight tool from GlockParts,now all I need is the steel front sight from GP,it is back ordered.
    What other options do I have?Will a non Glock front sight take away from the original equipment needed for GSSF matches?

16. bustedknee

bustedknee Curmudgeon

Aug 1, 2001
    Wythe County, VA
    I've got some green for those moments when you say, "Oh crap, I forgot to put on the loctite!"

Green goes on after-the-fact and I have never had anything come loose.

I know a guy that dipped his scope mounting screws in Red. That scope is still on that rifle!

17. SCC

SCC Member Me

Jun 10, 2007
    kennesaw GA.
    when you get to the match have them put a front sight on the gun for free :whistling:

18. farscott

farscott

Apr 6, 2003
    Athens, AL, USA
    I just use a 3/16-inch Wiha precision nut driver as a front sight tool. These are made for electronics assembly and do not need to be ground down to fit the Glock slide. They also have a nice handle and provide good feel when tightening and loosening screws. I think they cost somewhere around $4.25.

I use some of my daughter's clear (or whatever she gives me) nail polish as a thread locker.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  19. ross2004

ross2004 Mark it zero!

Mar 30, 2010
    Staunton, VA
    I had my front sight come loose just this past Saturday, which was installed with red Loctite. I had shot about 500 rounds straight with only breaks to reload mags & paste targets, I guess the heat was enough to break the bond.

20. *QUOTE*
    I had my front sight come loose just this past Saturday, which was installed with red Loctite.

I've had the same thing happen using blue/red Loctite. Try some 5 min epoxy, mine now stay put.

Yes, it can be removed.

Front sight very small screw, CAREFUL on the torque.