close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Inspection tips for buying used Glock

Discussion in 'Valuable Info' started by beforeobamabans, Dec 8, 2009.

1. montelldenise

montelldenise

Apr 3, 2013
    Maryland
    Thank You all for providing these "notes to self" & especially cobalt327. I'm in the market for a used 26 & now have a few visuals. Thanks!

2. 98LS-WON

98LS-WON

Dec 20, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    Might be a dumb question, but why should I care if the numbers match. Assuming it functions well and isn't cracked/corroded/bent.

3. montelldenise

montelldenise

Apr 3, 2013
    Maryland
    I wonder the same. At the end of the day, isn't the barrel the only S/N we should be concerned with?

4. CountryBoy865

CountryBoy865

Jun 28, 2013
    True my Glock 22 3rd gen was a police issue gun and it has a lot of holster wear but the barrel and internals dont look bad at all.

5. Cashgap

Cashgap

May 3, 2013
    Music City, USA
    The frame, in the US. The barrel as I understand it in Europe. The slide, no where to my knowledge.

But all three matching is the default valuation, mismatching normally lowers the value.

Cold Trigger Finger likes this.
  6. cobalt327

cobalt327 WFO

Mar 22, 2013
    SE of Atlanta
    In the case of the Glock, the s/n are on both the frame and barrel, but it's the s/n on the frame that you want to be sure matches the paperwork. That's to say Glock barrels are not considered to be "the gun" the way Glock frames are. In the case of the Ruger Mark series pistols (as just one example), the barrel- which is attached to the receiver- is considered to be "the gun", and it's where the serial numbers reside.

But back to Glocks- that the barrel s/n doesn't match the frame s/n would be of little concern to me, as long as the barrel is correct for the application. Used factory Glock barrels are sold all the time, a popular conversion is using a factory G35 barrel on a G22, for instance (this gives an extended barrel G22). In the case of aftermarket barrels, they have no s/n, period.

The cool thing about owning a Glock is that you can return the pistol to Glock for factory servicing, regardless of the age of the weapon, or even that you might not be the original owner. I have heard that even frames have been replaced in extreme cases. You'd be charged for upgrades like night sights; I think I heard it was $55 for new night sights, installed and sighted in at their range (by them).

Case in point, I recently bought an ex-police department issued G22C. It was clean and in seemingly good condition w/the exception of some odd wear/damage to the firing pin and peeling/missing plating on the firing pin safety (thread and photos on this can be seen here).

I returned the pistol to Glock in Smyrna (I'm fairly local to them) and they replaced every part w/the exception of the frame, slide, barrel, and sights. They even swapped out my used magazine for a new one! And they were aware from the get-go that I was not the original owner. I couldn't have been more pleased w/the service and treatment- everyone there from the guard shack to the armorer seemed to be in a good mood- like they sincerely enjoyed their employment w/Glock.

More on my visit here.

For those not near enough to drive to Glock, I would look into shipping them your gun. Many don't realize that for repair/servicing, etc. you can privately (no FFL needed) mail and receive back a gun you own. There are specific requirements to do this, so check first before sending anything!

Glock contact info.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  7. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

May 10, 2002
    Mismatching normally has no affect on value. It's routine. When glock replaces a major part, it doesn't match the original SN.

8. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Jan 20, 1999
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Please check the frame(s) for stress fractures or cracking, hard to see but I have a couple 2,5 gen baby Glocks with hairline cracks/stress fractures on the top left side one by the top pin, the other by the slide lock hole.:faint:

9. Caustic117

Caustic117

Nov 29, 2012
    One trick if you can't shoot the gun before you buy it. Take a #2 pencil and place it in the barrel of the gun. Point the gun straight up and dry fire. If the striker and everything inside the slide is in good shape the pencil should fly up about 4-6 ft in the air.

I remember hearing this from some one on here.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

10. opaul

opaul

Nov 1, 2012
    Matching serial numbers on the receiver and frame shouldn't matter, according the Glock representative I spoke with. If the slide is ever replaced on a frame, by Glock, you are going to end up with different serial numbers.

11. Pooldog

Pooldog

Aug 31, 2014
    Great tips all, I just purchased a used glock using some of the guidelines listed above and am pretty happy about it

12. Properly check serial number, barrel, general outlook (scratches etc.)

13. Do private party transactions ever involve a buyer running the serial number past local law enforcement, as protection the gun wasn't stolen?

14. thetrueoutdoorsman

thetrueoutdoorsman

Jan 13, 2015
    Replacement frames are numbered Gxxxxx the rest being numbers. If it has 2 or 3 letters like a normal serial number, then it probably came from a donor gun. I had an old early 90s model 22 that Glock replaced everything but the slide and barrel, sent me back a nice new gen 3 frame. I do not believe value should be affected, as long as everything else checks out.

15. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    Correct.

16. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

May 15, 2011
    Alaska
    I do it every time. Bought a S&W model 66 last night. Ran the number by the Troopers. Good to go.

17. ARBO

ARBO

Feb 11, 2016
    SE Washington State
  18. ARBO

ARBO

Feb 11, 2016
    SE Washington State

Now I want to try this on my Glocks.

19. screwedby

screwedby

Jun 11, 2015
    Is it just me or are a lot of "experts" recommending you do things to other people's guns that many buyers will not allow you to do.

If you don't know enough about a Glock to assess it's condition with a simple inspection, my advice is, you would be better off purchasing a new gun.

However, people that are that obsessive about a teardown would probably never be happy with a new gun much less a used gun.

I have seen a "expert" on several ocassions take a Glock apart, proving they are an expert to all watchers, then screwed up reassembly.
    In front of all watchers!
    Hahahahahaha

screwedbygoogle
    original username modified by google

20. roundball

roundball

Mar 30, 2006
    Normally, If I buy a used Glock it goes back for inspection etc. Once, on a Glock 20, it came back with most everything replaced. This was a nice looking handgun and I suspect it was full of aftermarket parts. Round here Bubba gets around and is an expert on S&W and Glock. As a newfer how does one identify aftermarket parts.