close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Inspection tips for buying used Glock

Discussion in 'Valuable Info' started by beforeobamabans, Dec 8, 2009.

1. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

Mar 6, 2004
    SW Ohio
    One thing I learned the hard way was to check the barrel for bulges. I got a good deal on a Gen1 G17. I gave it a quick look over and bought it. Took it to the Marietta Oh GSSF match to get updated. The armorer found it had a bulged barrel. Now I know to field strip the pistol and drop the barrel back thru the muzzle end of the slide to check for bulges. Mine in particular was bulged right past the chamber, it didn't show on a normal cycle of the slide. Glock offered to replace the barrel, but I would have to send in the bulged barrel. In the end I bought a used Glock barrel and kept the original barrel.

2. JK-linux

JK-linux

Mar 5, 2009
    Check the serial number list here on GT if you are looking to avoid a perceived issue such as late model gen 3's.

3. glockman4lif

glockman4lif

Dec 29, 2011
    fl
    1)CHECK ID
    Pretty much what everyone stated.

4. USDefender

USDefender Lay Them Waste!

Jul 8, 2005
    When I bought my used Glock, I did this. I also did it quickly. Each time, the gun functioned just fine, including locking back on an empty magazine as it's supposed to. What I didn't realize, however, (because I wasn't familiar with how all the 'parts & pieces' should look) was that the end of the 'captured recoil spring/guide rod assy' was missing so that the spring was no longer 'captured.' While it didn't effect the gun's functioning, it was nevertheless broken... Only a quick field strip would have shown me that.

If I had known, I would have still bought the gun but I would have had a great bargaining chip with which to drive the great price I paid even lower...

I guess the saying is true-- "Knowledge is power."

5. LDNN

LDNN

Jan 29, 2011
    Texas
    It's a Glock, not a Hi-Point. There is no bad Glock, some are better than others.

6. Tacoma12

Tacoma12 The Dude Abides

Apr 3, 2012
    South Florida
    The G21 I just bought from Bud's Police Supply has the "1" stamped before the serial number on the slide. Did some research and apparently its a frame recall from 01-02. Glock says its fine and don't worry, but I'd keep an eye out for that. I don't know if it affects the overall vale though, its a police trade in.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  7. roadkill46

roadkill46

Aug 6, 2009
    hi points have a lifetime, no questions asked warranty and it does not matter if you are the first or the 1000 owner. jus sayin! (995's are fun guns!)

8. +1 to adding this to the list. From what I understand, this is the glock armorer's method to checking recoil spring wear.

9. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

May 10, 2002
  10. AndrewG23

AndrewG23

Mar 31, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Yea i dont see a dealer letting you cycle ammo. But could always ask if they have snap caps. Could help with a function check.

11. SSott

SSott Eph 4:29-32

Feb 2, 2012
    Alabama
    Not to derail but they sent me new grips because I screwed them up trying to stipple them and they broke, I offered to pay and they would not accept the money. Good CS.

p.s. I like my Glock better :supergrin:

12. whiskerz

whiskerz

Mar 30, 2000
    ,ga. usa
    I looked at 1 once that looked like the frame had been attacked with chemicals it was melted. Other than that , I bought a Glock in a ziplock bag mismatched missing parts . I took it to Glock they rebuilt it for free and made it better than new . I am a happy customer

13. dbyer1

dbyer1

Apr 8, 2012
    Trenton GA
    Check firing pin safety pull trigger on empty chamber hold trigger shake gun next to ear should rattle now cycle slide should not rattle, some other little things to check. Most problems other than damage slide or frame can be fixed for not a lot of money

14. dunndealin

dunndealin

Aug 7, 2011
    Not to sounds like a total newb here, but I have been adding a few glocks to my stable recently, and the presence of the "copper" colored lube is from the factory correct? I put a used 19 on law away yesterday and it looked like new and had the copper stuff all over the slide rails. It looked like it had never been fired, or just had a really good cleaning.

ETA: sorry for bringing up an old thread

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  15. SSott

SSott Eph 4:29-32

Feb 2, 2012
    Alabama
    It is factory but some people continue to re-use it I would assume? Sounds like you have a nice weapon!

16. JimFS

JimFS JimFS

Feb 14, 2012
    Illinios
    An somewhat unrelated item. I am not sure where you live. But her in IL, the no carry land, even private sales need a three day waiting period. A LE was hassled on this a while back. So purchase but pick up three days latter? Not sure how we are expected to prove this?

17. silverfd

silverfd

Jan 25, 2013

I agree, My C9 hi point runs great and has actually saved my life while my $2000+ handguns sat in a safe at home.

Cold Trigger Finger likes this.
  18. Remember the recoil spring test:

-Make sure the gun is unloaded (I know this goes w/o saying, but...)

-Dry fire the gun.

-Hold the trigger back and pull the slide back all the way and hold it.

-Point the muzzle straight up and SLOWLY let the slide go forward.

-The gun should go completely into battery. If it doesn't, you need a new recoil spring assembly.

19. glocked-up

glocked-up

Jan 15, 2010
    Looking at a used 17. Can someone explain or show a pic of the breach face, I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for. Also pulling the trigger and holding it back and pushing on chamber should this be done with the slide on or off? Is there anyone that can shed more light on these two "tests"..thanks

20. cobalt327

cobalt327 WFO

Mar 22, 2013
    SE of Atlanta
    Top photo from here.

The breech face is part of the slide. In the photo, the oblong slot is where the firing pin protrudes. The depression is caused by excessive pressures.

[​IMG]

Other damage to the breech face can be caused by hot gasses bypassing the primers (gun is a 1911):
    [​IMG]

A thread showing several more damaged breeches here.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013