close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Inside GTers 72 hour bag

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Gnflorida, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Gnflorida

Gnflorida

Jan 29, 2012
    I know i know "wrong forum" I want to hear top 10 things in a Glock Talkers 72 hour bag. Must haves?

2. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
  3. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

Mar 1, 2005
    Old Dominion
    Weapon/ammo, Knife, flashlight/batts, 1st aid, food, water or means of purification, means for making fire, spare socks!, small binos/monocular, any meds you would need.
    Down and dirty quick list but there are so many variables that 10 is unrealistic. My stuff is a bit more in depth than just the list, some folks will need bug spray if you live in the south for example. A blanket or 2 would make sense in the cold north etc.

4. Gnflorida

Gnflorida

Jan 29, 2012
    Exactly, prepare for the worst hope for the best. I know there's alt of variables, just for a bit of fun.

5. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    in my get home/out bag:

2- days clothes (wife and I)
    2- G17 mags
    box of 9mm and buckshot
    2- MREs
    firestarter
    matches
    flashlight
    first aide kit
    water containers
    multi-tool
    Knife
    cash (small bills)

I'm sure I'm forgetting something

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  6. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Jun 20, 2010
    Texas
    Sootch made a video on his Gun & Gear Reviewer channel that's filled with useful ideas and some recommendations for suppliers of the gear.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_OLFDyXcRM"]Bug Out Bag Survival Bag[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  7. Motown Fire

Motown Fire Everett

Jun 27, 2006
    Texas
    So what are you "Bugging Out" from ??? Is your ex old lady really that mean ???

8. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    Toilet paper. Towlettes. Tylenol. Ibuprophen. Maalox. Antacid. Paper towels.
    Dehydrated beer. Laptop. Extra laptop battery. All original Star Trek episodes on a flash drive.

9. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

Nov 14, 2010
    RFD NY Adks
    Lotsa ammo!

I'm probably where everybody else wants to bug out to! :tongueout:

10. bam1131

bam1131

Apr 14, 2012
    Louisiana
    I get stuff together during hurricane season but I don't have a "bug out" bag. I think someone has been watching too much Doomsday Preppers. The world isn't on December 22nd. The Aliens aren't coming on independence day.

What is going to happen so quickly that you need to leave in less than 20 minutes? (beside a tornado,but then wouldn't you go into your cellar or something like that?)

If hoards of people are heading your way I'm sure that you would know and have ample time to pack and leave. Maybe I'm wrong but so far I haven't seen a reason to bug out.(except for a hurricane evac but even then you still have days to get your crap and leave) Hell maybe I'm wrong. IDK

Could someone enlighten me on a situation that requires a 20 min or less evac?

11. RobG

RobG

Jun 14, 2011
    Missouri City, TX
    Ditto....:dunno:

12. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    So... you KNOW it's the wrong forum, but you go ahead and do it anyway?

Hmmmm... if this was my site, instant ban.

13. bam1131

bam1131

Apr 14, 2012
    Louisiana
    When you start a sentence with " I know it is the wrong _____ but.." that immediately should tell you "Stop and find the correct forum"

14. I KNOW! I KNOW!!

Put in the right forum, and you will get good answers.. Put it in the wrong one, ON PURPOSE.. not so much.

BTW. I am bugged out. No bag.

15. pugman

pugman

May 16, 2003
    Wisconsin
    House fire.

I'm not sure what is in your BOB, 72 hour Bag or whatever you want to call it but amongst my stuff is a flash drive inside a waterproof/crush resistant case. This flash drive is a backup to the backup I keep in my safety deposit box and is updated monthly.

I know people who have gone through nightmares with insurance companies trying to recoup payouts on their insurance; their claims were legitimate but they had a difficult time coming up with the receipts, pictures and paperwork to support large insurance claims. This drive also contains pictures of pets in case during a fire they got out but ran away. It also contains copies of birth certificates, our passports, driver's licenses, social security cards, titles to our cars, taxes, deeds to properties, our wills, etc.

I could easily have this drive in my nightstand but in my BOB seems easier.

It took a weekend of home scanning to put together - I showed it to my agent who showed it to an underwriter and basically if I have a house fire I will have no problem getting the maximum payout on my insurance.

A BOB covers a lot more ground than just a zombie attack.

16. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
  17. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  18. thesurefire

thesurefire

Apr 16, 2006
    Colorado
    A 72 BOB can be useful for a number of reasons:

House fire, wildfire, break in, crime near your area, sporting event getting out of hand, tornado, riot, nuclear, chemical or bio weapon event, pandemic, mother in law drops by unexpectedly the list goes on and on.

I'll assume you have a quality bag.

1. 10 liter dromedary bag, re-fill it every 6 months, with hanging hook, tubing, mouth pieces ect

2. Leatherman/Gerber/Sog quality multi tool

3. Glock + 2-3 mags

4. Cash. Lots of it.

5. Copies of important documents, credit cards, passport, birth certificate ect. DONT HAVE PHYSICAL COPIES. use truecrpty on a thumb drive so if someone steals the bag they dont steal your identity.

6. Change of cloths. Get quality smartwool socks, no cotton.

7. First aid kit. All the normal stuff, sanitizing kit, bandaids, antibiotic ointment, blister kit, ect.

8. Quality flashlight + batteries. I like surefires.

9. Radio + batteries. You need to be able to hear the outside world.

10. hygiene kit. toilet paper, powder, body wipes, soap, hand sanitizer.

Id say thats the more important 10, but it really does depend on where you are and what youre preping for.

Food, a map, a compass, a cook kit, a prepaid cellphone + charger, lighters, a sleeping bag, and a big knife are also pretty important, but you'd still be ok without them.