close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Initial Impressions of the Apex Failure Resistant Extractor for Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Tim Lau, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Lau

Tim Lau

I have been following various threads on this and other forums with great interest as I had an 18 month old Glock 17 RTF that suffered from erratic ejection patterns for quite a while before finally getting periodic stove pipe type malfunctions. I tried many of the fixes presented on this and other forums but never obtained adequate results (read: they never quite fixed the problem.)

Recently, my friend Randy Lee reached out and sent me a prototype of their extractor for Glock.

Not only has it made ejection more brisk and consistent, my 17 RTF now ejects cases without a magazine inserted. This is something none of the Glocks I have ever shot have ever done in any consistent fashion.

This is typically a test we do in our 1911 classes to evaluate optimal extractor function as the 1911 is prone to a nasty malfunction where an empty case can be dragged into the feed lips of a magazine should the extractor have less than optimal function.

The feed lip geometry of the Glock is not prone to this like that of the 1911 so it's not critical in the platform, but the test is still valid in the context of evaluating optimal extractor function, assuming the extractor doesn't have so much tension that it prevents the pistol from feeding.

You can check out my video of my comparison between the Apex Extractor for the Glock here:

http://www.youtube.com/v/GYsHuLC0Kyg

Or check out my blog post on the topic here:

http://10-8training.blogspot.com/2012/07/apex-tactical-glock-extractor.html

Stay safe!

Tim Lau
    10-8 Consulting, LLC
    http://www.10-8consulting.com

2. Glock2336

Glock2336 Senor Member

Thanks for the video Tim! I might as well add mine :whistling:

[ame]http://youtu.be/lQIQiBf7SWY[/ame]
    [ame]http://youtu.be/_hJp2S0OIs8[/ame]

Ammo tested:
    American Eagle 115gr
    Magtech 115gr
    Sellier and Bellot 115gr
    Winchester White Box 115gr
    Federal HST 124 gr +P
    Sellier and Bellot 124gr
    Winchester Ranger-T 124gr +P
    Hornady Steel Match 125gr
    Federal HST 147gr +P
    Winchester Ranger SXT 147gr
    Winchester Super X 147gr HP
    Some old Remington 147gr HP I didn't keep track since I was unaware I was going to do any testing.

Here's a crude spreadsheet:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012

3. GThirtyTwo

GThirtyTwo Amor patriae

Good stuff. When can I get mine?

4. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

I would like one. When, when?

5. Glock2336

Glock2336 Senor Member

I can't say a release date yet, but I will when I can.

6. SJ 40

SJ 40

I know when they are ready to go out the door,I want one in 9 mm and two in .40,eagerly waiting. SJ 40

7. Keyhole

Keyhole

8. AR_Guy

AR_Guy

9. Meathead9

Meathead9

I can't wait till my GEN 4 G17 starts malfunctioning!!! 5,000rds and counting with no issues, but from what I hear, it will rear its ugly head anytime now. Now I know I can get a part that will fix my perfect GEN 4 9mm Glock!!! Thanks Apex!!!

10. PAGunner

PAGunner

Looks very promising, do you know if Apex has any plans on releasing a .40 & .45 version?

11. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Lucky you.

I only need one for my most recent Gen3 G17. The rest are fine.

Please tell your customer service supervisor at Glock that it would be better to fix the problem than to send you guys to the forums to try to suppress information about it and act nasty to your customers. :rofl:

12. diamondd2

diamondd2

You sound like more of a salesman than a Glock owner.

You had a Glock 17 for 18 months that suffered from erratic ejections, AND stovepipes, but this is only your first post. Im calling BS on you. Just say you are doing the marketing for Apex. Ill respect you more than.

13. Quarter Tank

Quarter Tank

My .40 and .45 have no ejection problems.

Matter of fact my 9mm doesn't have a problem either.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  14. Glock2336

Glock2336 Senor Member

Not that I know of since it's expensive and time consuming, they're just trying to fix the 9mm's which some have problems.

15. Glock2336

Glock2336 Senor Member

Tim Lau is a full time LEO and a Trainer for 10-8 Consulting which is affiliated with 10-8 Performance, I can assure you he is not a salesman and/or marketing for Apex. GT should be more respectuful to the industry people that are just trying to help the consumers.

16. Meathead9

Meathead9

If you want to dismiss my gun, go right ahead. Believe it or not, I am just an average everyday gun owner from CA, with absolutely zero ties to any gun/gun accessories companies. Someone needs to tell Apex to stop trolling forums with implants & prototypes, and just advertise their product when it's actually done. It's like they're trying to hype this product enough to make people that don't even have problems, to buy 4 of them just in case.

I read a similar thread about Apex's Magic Extractor recently. The guy had been bashing Glocks for a couple years, and then runs out & buys a GEN 4 G19 out of nowhere. A couple weeks later, with zero posts about any kind of malfunctions or ejection problems, he started a thread about the new Apex Extractor (which apparently was supposed to fix the problems he hadn't encountered or identified yet...) This guy admittedly has close ties to Apex, so forgive me if I'm skeptical.

17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

A new extractor can make some difference, as can several other things, but fixing a problem that isn't related to the extractor by putting in a new extractor is only a good idea for the people making the new extractors.

Get training or a lighter recoil spring, if you actually want to fix the problem.

18. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Very nice! I hope they eventually make a .40 version, I'd like a source of replacement extractors that I can trust, unfortunately that's not Glock.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  19. TTex

TTex Cannon Fodder

Hmm I'm working on the problem with my Gen 4 G26. (Just put in a new ejector, but havent had the chance to check it out yet) While I do appreciate someone working to try and fix the problem I have to wonder in what way the Apex extractor is "better". Can anyone elaborate on what was done to make this extractor an improvement over stock? I'm also interested in price point on this item when it becomes available. Any idea of how much Apex might charge for such an item?

20. maestrogustav

maestrogustav

How does this track compared with the prototype testing for Apex's M&P trigger product? In other words, is there any way to predict trajectory to release time frame?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.