close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Inexpensive sunglasses?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by WooleyBooger, Aug 9, 2011.

1. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OD G19

Dec 17, 2007
    Texas
    I just rotated to day shift...in the middle of this ridiculously hot summer. Anyway, my eyes are pretty light sensitive and I HAVE to keep sunglasses on while on duty.

I've got some oakley's but am sortof afraid I'll break or lose them. Any of y'all know of some decent but inexpensive (and dark) sunglasses that I might check out?

2. Napalm561

Napalm561

Apr 21, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I wear PUGS. They look decent, have different styles, and if they get broken, for any reason, return them to the store you purchased them, and they will replce them on the spot, for the same or a different style. Plus, they're cheap.....like $12.

3. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    I can relate, I've got pretty sensative eyes too. When I'm out biking, I wear Tifosi's. Tough as nails, interchangeable leses, and pretty cheap. I found mine at a bike store for $20 or $25.

4. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    NJ
    Don't take chances with you eyes. Oakleys are expensive for a reason, the lenses protect your eyes from the damaging uv radiation of the sun and give you excellent optical clarity. Cheap sunglasses often do not block or do so poorly. Oakley is also pretty good with replacing lenses should they break.

5. USMCSGT ARMYMP OHLEO

USMCSGT ARMYMP OHLEO

Jan 14, 2011
    Ohio
    I've had all kinds expensive Oakleys, WileyX, 5.11 and so on....but been I have been useing el-cheap-o's on duty from k-mart they are dark and polorized and only $15.00..... I bought 2 pairs but still on first pair a year and half later.

If you want cheaper Oakleys get them from usstandardissue they are about 50% off for military and LEO's and such!

6. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I agree, I cant stand cheap sunglasses. Check some pawn shops, I just picked up a pair of polarized Maui Jims for $50 to wear at work.

Not only do cheap sunglasses suck, but you dont take care of them like a decent pair so you end up losing them.

7. Hummerbike

Hummerbike

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    Costco has polorized glasses in two or three styles for around $28.00.

8. rudeboy3

rudeboy3

Feb 19, 2011
    AZ
    OP you know about Oakley's SI program right? Great deals for Police, Fire, Military, etc..

9. dreis454

dreis454

Jul 11, 2009
    Enfield,CT
    Being blind in one eye mean that I never skimp on sunglasses.
    I have 4 pair of Oakleys one in each car & a spare.

Small price to pay keeping my one working eye safe.

10. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    http://www.usstandardissue.com

I've had my polarized Half-Jackets for three or three and a half years and they're still going strong. I do NOT take care of them at all, either. They've fallen off the dash and been stepped on, cleaned with crappy cleaner and cloth, left in all sorts of weather, and just keep going. It's getting to be time for some new lenses, but they're still perfectly usable. I think I paid $60 or $75 for them.

11. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Since I have to wear prescription lenses I look for several things; wear-ability, durability; sensibility concerning style; utility; and how good will they protect my eyes. Oakley is one of the good ones concerning that. They have a very good product which is one reason why they are not cheap in price. Also, if you can find for yourself some US military standard issue sunglasses you will find that they are very durable as well, such as American Optics. I know a little about American Optics for prescription glasses in the military but part of the time I wore the typical military issue that were durable, but lacked aesthetic appeal. Now there are more options, even in theatre. The last URL is only for information purposes.

https://secure.usstandardissue.com/

http://www.opticsplanet.net/how-to-buy-sunglasses-guide.html

http://www.almc.army.mil/alog/issues/JulAug07/battle_vision.html

12. rookie1

rookie1

Mar 3, 2009
    Iowa

I stepped on his and thought they were totaled. He put them back together. I find them made to come apart under pressure and handle the abuse that we give them. You might scratch a lens but even that is fixed with $30-$40.

13. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox

:rofl:

I dare you to employ a new avatar.

[​IMG]

14. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox

I switch between several pairs of USSI Fives 3.0, Gascan S, and AO Pilots in silver (my Jack Bauer editions)

[​IMG]

15. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

[​IMG]

I have these with transitions lenses, (since they are prescription).

Oakley.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  16. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Aug 27, 2004
    TX
    This debate comes up more often than 9mm vs 45 ACP.

I've broken or lost a lot of sunglasses, so I go for inexpensive. As far as I know, polarized and 100% UV protection means just that. I'm not aware of any process that makes one brands polarization or 100% UV protection better than another's. If someone wants to pay for Oakley or WileyX, more power to them.

I've also heard some people brag that their X brand sunglasses will stop a 22 cal or birdshot. Okay... I don't really plan on putting that to a test.

I know a number of guys who wear shaded shooting glasses, that are polarized with 100% UV protection. You can usually find a decent pair of those for $20-$30.

At the end of the day, get what you want. There are two schools of thought on the issue, so just decide which one you're in and go with it.

17. jacquejet

jacquejet

Oct 18, 2004
    Chapel Hill, NC
  18. alabaster

alabaster Swollen Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Ahhhh, Eazy. One of my personal faves!:cool: I've been getting a lot of commentary on the avie lately. It seems Pun is too cliche' or something. Okay, Ima change it. But not to Eazy-E......Yet