close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Inexpensive Router?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Willard, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Willard

Willard Who, me?

Jan 2, 2000
    I have DSL with Bellsouth, which includes a modem. I have wired my house with Cat5 throughout. I need an inexpensive router to connect to the modem (Cat5 or USB), with at least four Ethernet ports.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Michael Dean

Michael Dean

Feb 18, 2002
    OKC
    Have you contacted Bellsouth? I use SBC, DSL and they are always having a promotion on equipment. When I upgraded to a wireless DSL modem, I got one with a built in router with 4 ports.

3. pyblood

pyblood

Dec 22, 2003
    Mississippi
    I would get a wireless router and disable the radio. Wireless routers are so cheap now. I don’t know if you have a laptop or not, but it’s better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I have Bellsouth DSL as well and here’s a little tip. You need to change the MTU from 1500 to 1492 I think. I had a problem with access secure sites and Windows updates until I got on the phone with D-Link.

Here’s a wireless router for $58 with a $25 Rebate.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127028

4. Willard

Willard Who, me?

Jan 2, 2000
    Another question:

To connect the modem to the router, should I use a straight cable, or a crossover?

5. pyblood

pyblood

Dec 22, 2003
    Mississippi
    Just use a regular cable. One nice thing about the Westell modem is that you really don’t have to use a router. The modem acts as a router, so you can use a regular switch if you like.

6. Willard

Willard Who, me?

Jan 2, 2000
    Update:

I thought you used a straight cable, but I was pulling my hair out!!!

I just installed a Linksys WRT54G router. I kept having problems that seemed to indicate that the wiring between the computer and the router was bad. 15 minutes on the Tech support line with Linksys fixed the REAL problem: the router in the modem and the Linksys router were trying to use the same IP address. Fixed this, and we're all good!

Is it just me... my DSL seems faster now, with the router! Is that possible?