close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Individual Ready Reserve question

Discussion in 'The US Air Force Forum' started by Codename46, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Codename46

Codename46

Mar 9, 2008
    Hi,

I'm currently an AFROTC cadet. I was wondering if, after my 8 year total commitment (4 active 4 reserves I think?) is it possible to extend my contract purely as a Ready Reservist?

Also, does anyone know if the AF recalls IRR guys back into Active status?

Thanks.

2. freedom790

freedom790

Aug 10, 2008
    Cheyenne, WY
    As far as I know, there is no extensions except for commander approved extensions at the end of your active duty enlistment, or re-enlistment within one year of your enlistment being up. Once your enlistment is up, you are IRR until you have 8 years since your date entered military service (ie. basic training entrance date). You can re-enter active duty service within a number of years that I can't recall right now, but there is no extension of the IRR service, as far as I know.

on a side note, I'm a cop, we arent known for knowing this sort of thing. You can try calling a personnelist, call the base operator and ask for Military Personnel Flight, Retentions and Re-enlistments Section.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010

3. bmylesk

bmylesk

Jul 2, 2010
    SLC, UT
    as far as i know, freedom 790 is correct. im somewhat in the same boat. go talk to a recruiter as well, but again. call MPF, i would trust them more. hehe