close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Indianapolis Zoo

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by LordJackel, May 18, 2007.

1. LordJackel

LordJackel

Mar 29, 2007
    Hi Everyone...been lurking for a while but thought I would log on and say Hi and ask a quick question.

The Indy Zoo - is a state park (not a city one) so does they mean it is covered by the DNR "rules" that now allow carry?

What about the zoo rules that say firearms are not allowed? Taking the kids there tomorrow so want to make sure they are safe.

Thanks for the info.

2. Are your sure? :shocked:

Gorilla wreaks havoc in zoo escape

MSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) -- A 400-pound gorilla escaped from his enclosure and ran amok in a Rotterdam zoo Friday, biting one woman, dragging her around, and causing panic among dozens of visitors before he was finally subdued, officials and a witness said.

The Diergaarde Blijdorp zoo was evacuated and the 11-year-old gorilla, named Bokito, was eventually contained in a restaurant within the park, police spokeswoman Yvette de Rave said.

Four people were injured, including the woman who was bitten, zoo director Ton Dorrestijn said.

Bokito was shot with a sedative dart and recaptured, said zoo spokeswoman Lilian Jonkers, but she couldn't say what his condition was. It was not immediately clear how he managed to climb the high stone walls surrounding his enclosure.

"He got over the moat, which in itself is remarkable, because gorillas can't swim," Dorrestijn said. "He got onto a path for visitors and started running and went at full speed through tables and diners at the Oranje restaurant."

A witness, Robert de Jonge, told NOS radio that he didn't see the gorilla escape but began following it and tried to help after he saw people running and screaming that the animal had grabbed a woman.

"I saw the beast running through the park with a woman behind him, him grabbing her forearm," De Jonge said.

At a distance of around 30 yards, he saw the gorilla lie down near the woman and then heard her scream.

"He bit her, or I think he bit her, because when he stood up his mouth was covered in blood," De Jonge said.

He said he then stopped to tell arriving police what had happened and ran with them as they traced the gorilla to a nearby restaurant terrace.

The zoo was packed with visitors as many Dutch took advantage of a national holiday Thursday to make a long weekend.

"Everyone was in panic, running away, screaming, wailing, screaming kids running around, I don't know what all, kids without parents -- it was a total drama," De Jonge said.

Children cowered in their parents' arms as the gorilla loped past.

People tried to hide inside the restaurant and were trying to bar the door, but fled as the gorilla approached, De Jonge said. Bokito then punched through the glass door and ran inside.

"They were all in panic -- the animal, too, I mean -- and all the people ran outside the restaurant, and zoo personnel were running up and they were able to keep the animal inside by barricading the doors with garden furniture and things," he said.

De Jonge said he later saw the woman "covered in blood," but walking unaided.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

3. LordJackel

LordJackel

Mar 29, 2007
    Now I know for sure I need to carry there. You never know when you will need to take out a 400lbs Gorilla. LOL

Now I just need to make sure it is legal?

4. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

Sep 19, 2003
    East Central Indiana
    I don't advocate illegal activity but I'm pretty sure that what they don't know won't hurt them.

5. LordJackel

LordJackel

Mar 29, 2007
    That is why I am asking the question...is it illegal?

6. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Tired Member

I think this may be one of those funny arraignments. While the zoo is located "in" the state park, it is a private 501(c)3 organization governed by a Board of Trustees. So I would think this would come under the "is isn't unlawful but you can be asked to leave" area. However remember, IANAL and I don't stay at Holiday Inn Express.

7. biggl35

biggl35 NFA user

Jul 3, 2005
    Indianapolis, Indiana
  8. Snowman92D

Snowman92D

Oct 6, 2001
    Indianapolis
    I notice a fair number of them in the parking area, from time to time, and in the residential areas immediately surrounding the zoo within walking distance. Sounds like a good place to be armed to me.

9. LordJackel

LordJackel

Mar 29, 2007
    Thanks for all the feedback...needless to say we were well protected today and the kids had a blast.

Didn't run into any gorillas today but I swear that lemur was giving me the evil eye :)

10. sjstill

sjstill Guest

DOH!!!:rofl:

11. LordJackel

LordJackel

Mar 29, 2007
    Yup...just for you ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is that lemur ready to attack :animlol:
    [​IMG]

12. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

Sep 19, 2003
    East Central Indiana
    Don't know, but since illegal activity can't be promoted on this board I thought I'd state it in that manner.

13. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Mar 31, 2004
    Indiana
    LordJackal... I saw you crossing the bouncing bridge to get to the rhino area. I stalked you and almost attacked. Two things stopped me... first, my one year old pooped his pants and the odor would have betrayed my stealthy approach, and two, I was concerned you may be packing. So I went over to the Lorikeets instead and got bit while feeding them... darned critters!

(okay, okay... so I don't know what you look like and made that part up, but I really WAS at the zoo and DID get my finger chomped on!).

You saw the White Rhino's, but did you see any pink ones? White rhinos = wide mouths, Black rhinos = pointy mouth, pink rhinos = Big mouths? Loud mouths? (just funnin', no intent to harm! :stooges: ). Regardless, the Pink Rhino population is down to one, and we should make all efforts to keep him safe!

14. rhino465

rhino465

Sep 24, 2003
    Indiana, USA
    Hey! Thanks! Those are really good photos ... and some handsome beasts as the subjects! :supergrin:

Dude! Check the colors on your monitor! I'm PURPLE!!

15. Snowman92D

Snowman92D

Oct 6, 2001
    Indianapolis
    I checked with a Metro PD copper who runs security at the Zoo, and he said that it's indeed a state park but the private group that "manages" the show out there has an administrative policy of no guns on the property. They'll never catch you packin' if you do it intelligently, and all they can do is tell you you're in violation of their policy and ask you to leave.

Just be sure you promptly leave if and when requested, or you're subject to be arrested for trespassing...and that could ultimately cause you problems with the State Police and your LTCH.

Do what you feel you need to do. If folks don't want my gun there, they can do without my patronage. I try to be respectful of other folks attitudes and feelings, but I can never quite forget that old saying about "Fools will make rules, and fools will obey them". Consequently I just stay away from some places. Besides, there are a lot of places in this town that are a "zoo". So those blue-nosed folks on West Washington don't have a monopoly on anything. :)

16. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Tired Member

I thought reading the rules the wording was funny.

"Weapons are prohibited on Zoo grounds, including firearms."

Why not just "Weapons are prohibited on Zoo grounds." or "Weapons are prohibited on Zoo grounds, including pocket knives."

Interesting they would specificaly call out firearms.

17. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Mar 31, 2004
    Indiana
    Indeed, it is purple. I do not mean to discriminate based upon race, color, religion, or gender, and I humbly apologize to Rhino for my unwarranted color slur!

Good to hear the facts on the zoo. I agree, that is an odd way to phrase a sign!

Tall people are banned from my property, including Yao Ming (as if someone might not consider him tall?!?).

18. rhino465

rhino465

Sep 24, 2003
    Indiana, USA
    Apology accepted! Such crucial matters must always be addressed immediately! :supergrin:

And rightly so! You just can't trust tall people. Especially tall, redheaded guys who operate shooting ranges and work in gunshops.