close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Indiana State Police - unmarked Dodge Charger cruisers

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by FThorn, Dec 17, 2006.

1. FThorn

FThorn TV/Movie Club

Apr 30, 2004
  2. TLHelmer

TLHelmer Millennium Member

Sep 4, 1999
    Newburgh, In. U.S.
    As a member of the Indiana State Police, that is the first I have heard of them. That would be cool though!

3. BackDraft

BackDraft Kahr Club 69

Jul 4, 2004
    Indiana
    Well they have been using them on the Toll Road the last few months. I travel it from the Skyway to I-69 daily and they seem to working quite hard.Now the last few weeks they have been using the Crown Vics marked and unmarked.Maybe they were being tested or something but they really caught alot off guard.

4. TLHelmer

Sep 4, 1999
    Newburgh, In. U.S.
    I would like to see one all striped out! Super Cool!

I will check on this today by calling the ISP garage.

5. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Broken Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have seen them on I-65 between Lafayette and Indianapolis (Clinton and Boone County).

Wasn't Rich Kelly driving one when he got hurt (the last time)?

6. meeko

meeko

Apr 15, 2006
    A few years ago the ISP used an Indiana highway department P/U truck like an F 150 out of the Terre Haute post. The Terre Haute paper had a couple page long article with several pics on it. Al kind of people (the ones that got caught) were crying about that not being fair etc. I thought it was pertty funny.

7. RF7126

RF7126

Sep 19, 2003
    Western Florida
    Even the fully-marked trucks throw me. There's apparently a decked-out F-150 in Sullivan county that I didn't notice until he lit someone up. I get so accustomed to looking for the crown vic profile that I completely miss everything else. I'm going to have so much trouble when everyone switches to Chargers. :supergrin:

I also saw an unmarked Escalade once in Gibson county. That was a shock. :shocked:

8. TLHelmer

Sep 4, 1999
    Newburgh, In. U.S.
    I got busy today and forgot to call the garage.

Some of the unmarks attributed to us (ISP) are other agencies ie. Gibson County Sheriffs Department.

9. Is ISP going back to white cars and away from the Purdue motif?

10. BackDraft

BackDraft Kahr Club 69

Jul 4, 2004
    Indiana
    I have seen 1 White Crown Vic working the western part of the toll road the past few weeks too.

11. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Broken Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I've been told the black ISP cars are more "intimidating.":upeyes: :rofl:

12. rhino465

rhino465

Sep 24, 2003
    Indiana, USA
    I saw someone pulled over by that vehicle on I-70 when they were using it. I'm guessing the driver was surprised with the ISP officer got out in his uniform!

13. planewinch

planewinch Millennium Member

Jun 1, 1999
    Raleigh, NC
    The NC State Highway Patrol recently purchased some of the Chargers and marked them for patrol. Here's a pic.

14. RF7126

RF7126

Sep 19, 2003
    Western Florida
    I've always really liked their black scheme. Somehow, it seems to add to the image that the State Police try to project (from what I can see). I've always been very impressed with it. I hear a lot of people joke about local officers but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say something negative (other than those who got a ticket) about State Police troopers. That's also coming from a college environment,where there's a lot of false bravado floating around. It may not always appear so, but I guarantee you that the image works.

15. The State also has black Mustangs running around up north.

Last week I saw an ISP Crown Vic in white with the blue arrow/stripe. I heard from my local Ford dealer that Ford gave the ISP a deal so good they couldn't pass it up.

16. I am visiting NC, Biscoe has one marked.

17. cougar_guy04

cougar_guy04

Sep 11, 2006
    I've seen 2 now running around the area. Looked like everything that was gold on the black ones is now blue. One of them was here on campus . . . maybe some training thing? They were parked in front of the door to our pool. :headscratch:

Same here. At least I like them better than the white/yellow that I got used to growing up in IL.

18. TLHelmer

Sep 4, 1999
    Newburgh, In. U.S.
    I was at the ISP garage yesterday. No one had seen or heard of any chargers as unmarked cruisers. The Major was busy and I didn't want to bug him.

Sorry guys, I cant confirm or deny.

19. BackDraft

BackDraft Kahr Club 69

Jul 4, 2004
    Indiana
    Well I can say I have seen them on the Toll Road. Thats all I know because I watch for them.

20. TLHelmer

Sep 4, 1999
    Newburgh, In. U.S.
    I wasn't arguing. I am a Trooper from Southern Indiana. We don't get news even about our own dept as fast as they do up north. The Toll road has different rules than other districts because of the extra funds available to them to patrol the Toll Road. What you said is quite possible, but I thought I would check with the men in the ISP garage that build the cars. They couldn't say that they had worked on any. The Chargers may also be a limited experiment to test their viability as a marked, semi-marked or unmarked vehicle.

I would love to have a Charger as a patrol vehicle.:thumbsup: