close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Indian Mountain LRRS

Discussion in 'The US Air Force Forum' started by 4sooth, Jul 5, 2008.

1. 4sooth

4sooth
    Expand Collapse

Anyone here ever stationed at Indian Mountain Air Force Station--Utopia Creek,Alaska?

Spent a year tour there from April '70 to april'71.Interesting place,very scenic and I got to hunt and fish Alaska at the gov's expense.

I was in Civil Engineers and worked in the boiler plant.

Today it is called Indian Mountain Long Range Radar Station---also appears to be a hazmet remediation site.Only accessable by aircraft during good weather.

2. bluelineman

bluelineman
    Expand Collapse
    Infidel كافر

Never been there but you did remind me of something. My parents came to visit me when I was stationed at Elmendorf AFB. My Dad was also active duty at the time. We made a trip to Fairbanks & along the way decided to make a stop at Clear Air Force Station. My Dad had had some communications with them in the past in intel. The "base tour" took about 5 minutes. I completely forgot about that until now.

3. WildIrishClancy

WildIrishClancy
    Expand Collapse

Was at the sister site Sparevhn AFS , Indian Mountain and Sparrevohn were only two (out of 13 or so) That were split almost equally top camp bottom camp. Most were 85% bottom camp and 15% top camp.
    Anyway USAF used to man the sites with 85 to 100 folks the sites left are 7-8 folks multi tasking.
    check out Alaska radar site vets site on Yahoo