close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Indian faces arrest for debunking miracle

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by void *, Apr 30, 2012.

1. muscogee

muscogee
    Expand Collapse

Oh no, not Christians. They wouldn't do that, unless they had the power. How quickly people forget the Reformation.

2. Japle

Japle
    Expand Collapse
    John, Viera, Fl

So let me get this straight: The priest believes the statue is crying urine?

3. void *

void *
    Expand Collapse
    Dereference Me!

Not exactly.

It's not the priest saying that, it's the guy who debunked - and he's saying that there's a backed up piece of the sewage system close by and the liquid (which would presumably contain urine but not be exclusively urine, given that it's sewage, there'd be water and other liquids etc) got to the statue through capillary action.

#4 void *, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  4. packsaddle

packsaddle
    Expand Collapse

got any objective sources?

like all other clear thinking people, we'll reserve judgement until we have all the facts, including those from objective sources without agendas.

#5 packsaddle, Apr 30, 2012
  5. void *

void *
    Expand Collapse
    Dereference Me!

Did you bother to look at the sources and go to the videos? (I don't speak the language, so I only understood what they said in English, I'm hoping there's a subtitled one put up at some point).

Or, perhaps:
    http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article...st-rationalist-for-questioning-‘miracle’.html, which is also linked from one of the articles I linked.

There seems to be the possibility that what they are complaining about is his statements against the Catholic church and not the debunking, although even if that is the case, I would hope that people would recognize that he should not be arrested for merely speaking those views.

#6 void *, Apr 30, 2012
  6. packsaddle

packsaddle
    Expand Collapse

don't get me wrong, i'm confident this wasn't a "miracle", and the skeptic should not be arrested for calling them out either.

just want to make sure both sides are being represented fairly and all the facts are presented in an objective manner so the public can make an informed decision.

of course, objective reporting doesn't happen in America either, especially from Big Media and Big Science.

carry on.

7. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk
    Expand Collapse
    Isaiah 53:4-9

So, we know see its true face. There was a great outcry, as there should have been, when Catholicism was facing a First Amendment violation by the Obama administration. However, when it comes to the liberty of speach or conscience of anyone else, they come with a repressive hand to stamp out all resistance.

8. muscogee

muscogee
    Expand Collapse

If you did that you couldn't be a Christian. You won't have the facts until after you die, and probably not then because you will be dead. But you jump to conclusions anyway.

9. void *

void *
    Expand Collapse
    Dereference Me!

FWIW, this was not intended as a Catholic bashing thread. More an example of how laws that imho should not exist can be abused. The law used is not solely usable by Catholics and in fact has been used by Muslims, etc.

(Edit: See, for instance, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7883612.stm)

#10 void *, Apr 30, 2012
  10. packsaddle

packsaddle
    Expand Collapse

no different than you buying life insurance.

just preparing for the possibility.

but thanks for caring.

11. muscogee

muscogee
    Expand Collapse

Don't have life insurance. When I die I want it to be a sad day for everyone.

12. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk
    Expand Collapse
    Isaiah 53:4-9

My point is simple. The same Catholic Church cried foul about their freedom of conscience and liberty in the United States, but is actively seeking to violate this man's liberty and conscience and throw him into jail.

I see a fundamental problem with this.

13. void *

void *
    Expand Collapse
    Dereference Me!

The "fundamental" problem is that where such laws exist, people will abuse them. Whether they're Catholic or Protestant or anything else. If you want to pretend that your denomination wouldn't contain a human who would fall prey to such behavior, if they lived in a jurisdiction with such a law, I think you're fooling yourself. (Edit: for the record, if there were a law worded such that an atheist could press charges for being offended in some way, there's going to be someone somewhere who will press the charges. That doesn't make them correct, and it doesn't mean the group that such a person belongs to is the problem).

#14 void *, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  14. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt
    Expand Collapse

#15 IndianaMatt, May 1, 2012
  15. Guss

Guss
    Expand Collapse

I'm just speculating, but what do you suppose there is a donation box near the statue?

16. Paul7

Paul7
    Expand Collapse
    New Guy

Possible but not likely. Jesus advocated none of that. There are 30,000 Christians in jail in North Korea alone put there by your fellow atheists.

#17 Paul7, May 1, 2012
  17. juggy4711

juggy4711
    Expand Collapse
    Nimrod Son

:rofl: That right there is funny I don't care who you are.

18. Guss

Guss
    Expand Collapse

It's pretty sad for the Catholics that their God is so weak they have to file a lawsuit to hush the opposition.

19. juggy4711

juggy4711
    Expand Collapse
    Nimrod Son

Why is it religious folks can not understand that Atheism requires nothing other than not believing in God? They don't have any other required shared belief no matter how bad you need them to so you can feel high and mighty, or feel like you have made some gotcha point. Those imprisonments have nothing to with atheism, to which North Korea hardly applies. Their government and the Il family in particular are practically deities.

#20 juggy4711, May 1, 2012