close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

In-vehicle preps...and I missing anything?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Warp, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    I reviewed the contents of my Rubbermaid 35 gallon storage box today. I also made a couple of small additions, and I wrote everything down. It contains:

-JNC660, 1700 peak amp jump starter/12v power source
    -20', 4 gauge, heavy duty jumper cables
    -Auto fire extinguisher
    -1/2 gallon bottle of water
    -1 gallon antifreeze
    -3", 30', 30k lb rated recovery strap
    -Hitch for D-ring shackle
    -2x 4.75T D-rings
    -6x 30 minute Orion road flares, MFG. Feb 2011
    -Drop cloths in 4x10 and 8x12
    -Assorted bungee cords
    -Trailer hitch w/ball
    -Windshield wiper blade
    -1 pair work gloves
    -Ice scraper
    -2x shop rags
    -Medium funnel
    -Spout for my Scepter MFCs
    -1qt Royal Purple synthetic motor oil
    -Serpentine belt (OEM, taken off vehicle, still in great condition)
    -GearWrench ratcheting wrench serpentine belt tool
    -Screwdriver/monkey wrench/fixed blade knife
    -Radiator hose repair kit
    -Heater hose repair kit
    -150 pc automotive fuse kit
    -Full roll of duct tape (Gorilla tape)
    -Adapter for 7 pin - 4 flat for trailering
    -Yellow reflective safety vest
    -3x 2,400 calorie ER emergency ration bars
    -Pair of kaki cargo pants
    -Brown gun belt
    -2x cotton T-shirts
    -Hooded sweatshirt
    -Columbia waterproof/breathable rain jacket
    -Poncho
    -Warm/thick vest
    -Baseball cap
    -Tennis shoes
    -5.11 HRT boots

When fall/winter rolls around a worthy winter coat will be included, and probably balaclava as well as gloves, especially when traveling.

All of this, and a few little odds and ends I didn't get written down, fits into this:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1BU6E/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00"]Amazon.com: Rubbermaid 1191 ActionPacker Storage Box, 35-Gallon: Home & Kitchen@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31plGFYpSmL.@@AMEPARAM@@31plGFYpSmL[/ame]

I also have a my BOB/GHB, 6 (?) gallon Scepter water can, some flashlights, maps, leatherman multi tool, and a few other items in this car.

Is there ANYTHING that I am 'missing'?

We're about to drive all over half of the country again soon, and then again a couple months after that, so I want to figure out now if I am missing anything important.

The BOB/GHB has a some more clothing, water filter, basic first aid kit, and other simple/basic GHB type stuff in it.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  2. bdcochran

bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    1. water purifier, not water filter
    2. cup, spoon, knife, fork, clean rags/towel

(not able to keep in mind everything that you listed.)

I throw in a windbreaker, zip lock bags and a couple extra water bottles.

3. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Explain more about purifier vs filter. I have a Katadyn Hiker Pro in the GHB.

There are a few bottles of water (I didn't list them, total a gallon probably) in the GHB. And, of course, the 6 gallons of water in the Scepter water container.

There are not currently any utensils or dishware type items. There are almost always paper towels in the car. I could add a towel, which is something that goes along somewhat often anyway, usually for dog's feet. Speaking of which, I need to add a bowl to give water to dogs in, and spare leashes and maybe collars.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  4. bdcochran

bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Purifier - makes the water clean. Like steripin unit.

Filter - takes out some, but not necessarily all viruses, bacteria, impurities.

5. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

Sep 15, 2005
    Oahu HI
    I would probably try to stuff in another gallon of water in there somehow too. But that looks like a pretty damn good kit. Do you have a separate first aid kit as well? If not I would definitely put some first aid items in there.

Keep it up! I'm looking to build something like this myself and you just gave me one hell of a starting point.

6. I would also think about adding some basic survival equipment in case you are stranded somewhere. Some things I keep in my car:

1. Fire starter
    2. Space blanket
    3. Mirror
    4. Flashlight
    5. Camp Ax
    6. Multi tool
    7. Hikers whistle (you can hear that thing a long way off)
    None of these things is large so you should be able to add them without much difficulty.

7. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    Winter months,tire chains and cat litter/ice melt.'08.

8. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    7+ gallons of water not enough?

There is a small/basic first aid kit in the GHB, yes.

I always carry 2 flashlights on my person, currently a Fenix P1D-CE and a Quark-X 123^2. I also have a Zebralight headlamp, a 4D MagLED, and a Thrunite TN11 in the vehicle. There is also a Leatherman multi-tool in the car. I believe the GHB has a mirror and a whistle, and some kind of fire starter. No camp ax.

If I lived somewhere other than Georgia I might consider tire chains. Since I only tend to make one trip per year into the snow belt during December-February I will settle for having 4WD and quality tires that can handle snow.

9. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    You'll never know where you will need ta be.'08.

10. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    True. I'm going to look into tire chains, 'just in case'.

We do have family in Washington, Chicagoland, northern Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania, after all. Usually we travel over Christmas, and we REALLY don't plan to travel between Thanksgiving and at least March this year...but you never know.

11. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    I would add more towards tires, tire repair and actual "Damage" to my drive-train and not limiting myself to just maintenance issues.

If this is survival prep.. you may not keep your vehicle on the smooth roadway.. but jumping curbs and driving over all manner of debris.

I am also a light junkie and always feel the need to have more light and batteries.

12. dudel

dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Space bag (vs blanket)
    Cell phone charger
    Fire starter
    Cash
    Gun and ammo
    I keep a set of large surgical scrubs that I can pull on over regular clothes if I have to work on something. They are disposable.
    Spare batteries
    Small trauma kit
    Small weather radio

Not really for the car, but I keep a good collection of survival guides on an older, non color kindle.

13. throw a couple of arc welding sticks in there. with a pair of batteries and jumper cables, you have a usable arc welder. i had to do this once to get a drivshaft back together to make it out of a trail awhile ago.

it doesnt really have to be pretty, just functional. if you do this, it will be out of balance so drive slowly.

14. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
  15. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

Sep 15, 2005
    Oahu HI

My fault. That's plenty. I saw "1/2 gallon" and thought that's all you had. LoL.

16. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

Sep 15, 2005
    Oahu HI
    It does work, but if you do have to use it make sure you get to a tire shop fast as it will start to eat away at your wheel and its finish. Especially aluminum wheels. I would rather keep a tire plug kit and a small air pump.

17. PaulMason

PaulMason

Feb 10, 2010
    One of these?
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-300-Amp-Battery-Jumper/dp/B00198G4XO"]Amazon.com: Wagan 300 Amp Battery Jumper: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BU927140L.@@AMEPARAM@@51BU927140L[/ame]

Dry gas?

18. CSnakes

CSnakes

Dec 23, 2006
    SC (finally!)
    Head lamp, bailing wire, hose clamps, exhaust coupling and 2 c clamps. I always keep a change of seasonal clothes, shoes, socks, flip flops. Baby wipes are nice to clean up after auto repairs. Sunscreen and bugspray, emergency whistle and a small roll of neon flagging ribbon. Hand tools, fuel siphon, emergency cas and change, air gauge, first aid, granola bars, meds in a dry cooler to minimize heat exposure.

You have things pretty well covered.

19. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    as long as the damage is not on the side wall and if the puncture is limited to something similar to a nail... yes

20. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    I already mentioned first aid twice and clothing pretty extensively. Socks/underwear are in the GHB. I don't want flip flops. Basic hand tools are in the tote but I'll double check that nothing important is missing. Granola bars will just get bad in the heat which is why there are ER bars. When intentionally traveling a cooler and snacks will come along anyway. My understanding is that fuel siphons aren't very usable these days, even if you had a situation where it would be justifiable to use one.

I will add light bulbs, especially for the head lamps. Bailing wire was suggested on another site as well so I'll pick some of that up. That's a good suggestion.

How would a cooler minimize heat exposure? When the car sits outside all day everything in there gets as hot as it's going to get.