close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

In the market for an "entry level" AR. Spike's Tactical?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by smitty704, Feb 11, 2012.

1. smitty704

smitty704

Aug 18, 2011
    NC
    I am interested in buying my first AR. $900 is my limit, and have found a few good options(but, I don't really know much about AR's). I like the Spikes Tactical ST-15 16" mid length LE carbine. It has a MSRP of $859 which is right in my range.

I have seen a Rock River Arms rifle, as well as a Daniel Defense at LGS's(can't remember exactly what models) that are close to my price range that look pretty sweet. The gun shop employees/ninja's aren't always a good source for info, so I like to turn to you guys for some good advice.

The M&P-15 sport is WELL under my limit so naturally I have looked at that as well. But I feel that I can get more quality for just a few hundred more dollars.

This gun would be mainly for SHTF/home defense, but mostly just good old fashion target shooting. What I'm saying is this gun isn't going to be dragged through hell and back often, if at all. But would like something that could handle some abuse if the need did arise.

If you guys like any of theses options, or have any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!! :)

smitty

2. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    First off, its hard to miss with Daniel Defense. If its in or close to your range I dont think you will be bummed with one. Id look at building a Palmetto state armory or BCM gun for 900 bucks. Any BCM stuff or go the hammer forged route through PSA to get the most for your $. Or save 100 bucks more and get a Colt. I really like my Smith M&P15 it may be an option for you. Seems like your dollar point is right there for a really solid rifle. Ive never really understood the entry level AR thing. If you do not want to build and your already at 900 bucks just get a Colt 6920 or the DD. Thats my input, hope it helps.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

3. Quarter Tank

Quarter Tank

Aug 7, 2011
    ATL
    I too am looking for my 1st AR. I really like the BCM M4 Carbine with the Mod 2 kit. I think that would suit me a while and then could put a sight on it down the road.

4. DieselNut

DieselNut

May 21, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You'll be okay with spikes. G&R tactical has Colt's for 900 something. Or you can build o e and save money as long as you build it with good parts.

5. craig19

craig19

Aug 13, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Its hard to go wrong with DD or Colt. BCM is an option.

6. supatrucka

supatrucka

Nov 5, 2010
    CT
    I just bought one of these and it seems like a nice product for $900 and it's the original buschmaster with a very cool story read on.

http://www.windhamweaponry.com/

7. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    Agree with the DD, BCM. In your price range you are close to a Colt 6920 @$965 G&R Tactical. I would personally probably lean towards the Daniel Defense but hard to go wrong. I'm going to keep my mouth shut on S&W15 and PSA because of AR class warfare around here. People get their feelers hurt and panties all in knots.

:wavey:

8. cyphertext

cyphertext

Jan 6, 2004
    Dallas
    No panties in knots here. He looked at the Sport and decided he wanted more rifle. No issue what so ever.

Anybody have any hands on time with the Windham Weaponry rifle? Just got a flyer in the mail from Cabela's and they have the optics ready for $800, starting on the 16th. I know nothing about these, other than the PR story.

My buddy started with a Bushmaster, sold it at a gun show for more than he paid for it and bought a Daniel Defense. He is happy with it.

9. Javelin

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    I am glad he made out well on that Bushmaster and actually got himself a decent gun. Most don't make out so lucky peddling their used guns for new prices.

10. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    Ahhh a slam on PSA and S&W without a direct attack, very sly.....:tongueout:

11. smitty704

smitty704

Aug 18, 2011
    NC
    Thanks guys for the advice. I will look into the Daniel Defense a little more. As well as the Colt 6920, BCM, and PSA. I also would like to know a little more about the Windham Weaponry you guys are taking about.

And don't get me wrong, from the looks of them and the reviews I've read, the S&W MP-15's seem to be great guns. I was just referring to the Sport version, because for a few hundred more dollars I could get one bad a*s rifle.

12. Javelin

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    I am going to give you some sage advice. Save up for the DD, BCM, Colt, etc. You won't be "trading up" in the near future by doing so.

13. smitty704

smitty704

Aug 18, 2011
    NC
    Will do. The DD is looking like the best bet.

Thanks

14. supatrucka

supatrucka

Nov 5, 2010
    CT
    I have about 500 rds down the pipe and not a problem and there CS is top notch.

15. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Mar 13, 2001
    Not a chance
    Windham gun is overpriced IMHO.. that level of specs should be in the range of a PSA rifle. 1x9 .... don't plan on shooting any heavy bullets like the 75 grn. 5.56 TAP

Also new owners or whatever, give the company a few years to see what the track record holds..Bushmaster has always been sporadic no real record of high quality.

DD is awesome, BCM or Colt as well I have seen the colt for 959.. so look around.

Supa glad you are happy with the new blaster I am hopeful that they are going to keep production up and produce quality rifles.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  16. cyphertext

cyphertext

Jan 6, 2004
    Dallas
    Supatrucka, That's great. Congrats on your new rifle. Which one did you get?

17. txgunguy

txgunguy

Dec 14, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    It's a buyers market right now. Personally I would buy the spikes, dd, bcm, or colt. The sport is good rifle, but the lack of dustcover really is a deal breaker for me. If it was just a plinker then by all means,get it. But for a possible shtf gun, the dustcover is one part of an AR that I feel is important. Just my feelings on it.

My first ar was a rock river. Solid gun, but when prices came down, I upgraded to something better and lost a few bucks. I'm now a firm believer in the "buy once cry once".

18. supatrucka

supatrucka

Nov 5, 2010
    CT
    Thanks, it's not in the catalog it was speced by the shop I go to.
    [​IMG]

19. Absolutely no offense intended, but 500 rounds is not a great baseline to endorse a firearm. Also, out of curiosity, how can you know their customer service is top notch if you haven't had any problems with their rifle?

20. To the OP, my suggestion is the Colt SP6920. Why? As I and many other active shooters have noted before, the reliability and value of the 6920 is really hard to beat. This has been beaten to death over the years. That being said, the Colt will really hold its value, and if you decide to sell it if you get out of the AR game, it should command the highest return.

Out of the other options, in order of my recommendation, Daniel Defense, Spikes, Smith and Wesson. Good luck with your choice.