close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

In search of .223 55g FMJ's

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by DoctaGlockta, Jan 3, 2013.

1. I finally sat down to reload some 223 last night and realized that I'm down to my last few hundred 55g FMJ's :wow:. What great timing.

All my usual places I buy (Westcoast brass, MG, Pat's reloading, Wideners) are all out of stock.

Any of you fellows purchase recently. Looking for bulk order of 2-4K.

Thanks.

2. Magelk

Magelk

Jul 17, 2011
    Good luck in your search, you'll need it.

3. ColoCG

ColoCG

Mar 18, 2011
    Colorado
    Good Luck, I have been searching those places and more like Grafs, Midway, TJ Conevera, Midsouth, and Natchez for a friend who just got a new AR and have had no luck at all.
    Luckily for me, I have a good supply of Hornady 55 gr. bullets. But it sure doesn't look good out there.

4. Cfish

Cfish

Aug 20, 2008
    North FL
    Natchez has Hornady 55gr FMJ's in stock as of a few minutes ago.

5. dakota359

dakota359

Jul 10, 2009
    Wait about 6 months to a year when the hysteria dies down.

6. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    I stocked up with 2 extra cases from MG couple months back. Their website currently states Jan 14th and they will have more. Keep an eye on it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  7. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Keep checking Widener's too. So I am now thinking I wasn't being extravegant buying swaging dies to make my own 223 from free 22lr cases & scrap lead . Things will probably get better, but then maybe not?

8. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    I backordered several thousand with MidwayUSA (2 packages of 2000 each), since I get a discount there. I'm not in dire need of them. I seem to recall they were forecasting mid January at the time that I ordered. Don't know where current orders fall in line.

9. RustyFN

RustyFN

Sep 29, 2006
    West Virginia
    Boxer how do you like the Montana Golds? I have been shooting the bulk Hornady's with great results and have been hearing the MG's are just as accurate. I was thinking of trying some when I run out of the Hornady's.

10. The CRB in me has been wondering how that project is going.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  11. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
  12. Just in case you do

[ame]http://youtu.be/bkAU5ekbPLA[/ame]

13. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    I've actually found the MGs to be just as accurate if not more so... Given the same load. Of course YMMV.

14. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619 EX-Swage Monkey

Aug 11, 2010
    San Diego

That is the craziest thing I have ever seen, but I want to try it. :tongueout:

15. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    That's a pretty crude way to get bullets but I guess it works to a fashion. Swaging dies come in a set. One to form the jacket using any 22lr or even 22mag case No trimming is need unless you are searching for a specific wt heavier than 60gr or so. Then you would trim 22mag brass. Then a core needs to be made. You can use either extruded lead wire, expensive, or cast from scrap (the die set comes w/ a 11cav mold), free. Then a die to form the core to perfect wt. Then a die to seat the core, then one to form the final bullet shape & bump to the correct dia.
    That U-tube vid has me wondering how he gets the bullet to the correct dia, but a proper die set will do it all in steps. With an auto eject to remove the bullet, I am told 200/hr is easily done. Of course it all goes in steps & you want to process as many in each step as possible to save time.
    I am doing it not so much to save money, I don't shoot the nearly as much as my handguns, but mostly to be self suffcient for 223 & to advance my reloading skills/knowledge. In a shortage or even a possible ban on internet sales of components, I can make as many 223 bullets as I can find spent 22lr & lead, & that would be limitless. It takes a mere 7# of lead to make 1000 55-56gr bullets. So when I get the balance of the dies, so far only have the derim or jacket making die, I'll let you guys know how it goes.:supergrin:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  16. vtducrider

vtducrider

Nov 13, 2008
    Austin, TX
  17. I would bet that if it were possible that one would have to pay duty. Although if you just had the fellow put 'bulk lead' on the invoice instead of 'bullets' you may be ok. Give him a call.

18. Fred...

Where do you get the die set from and... do you have a video showing how you do this?