Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Impulse buy. Now ?'s.

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by Teecher45, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Teecher45

Jan 29, 2010
    Saturday I was out of town and stopped by a GS to look around. I saw a 29 SF and asked to look at it. I asked to see the case only because I was curious if it had been sitting there for awhile or not. Date was 07/12/12. I bought it. Am now considering ammo. I am looking at the 165 gr. GD's from Underwood (yes, I've been researching/reading some). My questions are;

1) Above ammo good/not good/ really good/best for SD? Does anyone carry the "off the shelf" ammo for reasons such as the guy that got arrested for shooting another and his dog (in a park?) with a 10mm? If so, why not just carry a 27 as a CCW?
    Whatever happened to that guy?
    I have a Gen 4 21 with TLR1 for HD.

2) What holster(s) for CC (IWB) works really well for the 29? I am considering Theis holsters.

3) Does anyone make a holster (OWB) that allows carry with a light but will also secure the pistol if the light is not attached?

4) Give me some advice that you wish someone would have told you right after/before you bought a 10mm.

Want to CC it probably 9-10 months of the year. Have a PF9 for those days that I just can't go with the 29.
    I'll probably think of more later. Thanks guys/girls.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  2. Meathead9

Aug 23, 2009
    The PRK
    1. I like Winchester 175gr Silver Tips (1150-1180fps). You don't need nuclear to be effective, and follow up shot speed is likely to be more important than the power of one single round. Go shoot some silvertips, then shoot some Spicy Underwood stuff, then you can make an educated decision for yourself. Why not carry a G27? Try and find a 175/180gr bullet @ 1150fps through that little bugger. I prefer full size Glocks anyway, so I chose the G20SF over the 29.

2. Theis, Crossbreed, CompTac MTAC, theyre all pretty much the same as long as you stay within that design. I'm leaning more towards AIWB these days, with a Fricke Archangel or a CCC Shaggy.

3. Safariland

4. Buy a reloading setup before you buy any accessories or dump a bunch of money into factory ammo.

3. Meathead9

Aug 23, 2009
    The PRK
    Sorry, double post...
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  4. WeeWilly

Nov 12, 2011
    I think the Underwood ammo is the deal of the century. Great quality, you can get Gold Dots (like you pointed out). For carry, they make a Delta Elite load which is a little lighter load wise and may improve your follow up times some. I like heavier bullets, I load 180gr XTPs for my G20SF and G29SF.

Of course, like Meathead9 pointed out, you also have the Winchester Silver Tips, plenty for SD.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  5. Meathead9

Aug 23, 2009
    The PRK
    I forgot to mention Underwood's Delta Elite 180gr load. Although I've never shot any of it, it sounds like another winner. I may have to give those a try to compare, the Gold Dot is another excellent choice for SD.
  6. 1) Look/search at GATE - Self Defense Forum here for possible legal issues if SD shooting occurs and you had your own loads in gun. There had been questions/answers about that, mr. Ayoob explains it good IMO.

2) google "PJ Holster LLC" or send a PM to GT member coachg

3) OWB holster for carrying G21 or G20 w. tactical light attached (or without):

I have both - IWB holster from PJHOLSTERS and such Fobus holster - both highly recommended.

4) save all your 10mm brass, sooner or later you will start reloading or at least you can ask someone who does to do it for you. If you got own brass it's much easier for both.

5) Welcome to 10-Club ! You won't regret buying 10mm Glock. :cool:
  7. MikeSantor

Mar 29, 2012
    FEMA region 5
    I make kydex holsters and all of my light molded holsters fit the gun with the lights off. I dont see why mine would be any different from anyone elses so I would say you should not have any problem no matter what kydex holster you buy. If it fits with the light on, there is no reason for it not to fit with the light off.

8. JeremyInMT

May 16, 2012
    #2 - Link leads to page holder type of site for me
    #5 - I totally agree!!!
  9. Fixed that link in previous post or better said proposed another way to find Paul Giannaula's web page: google "PJ Holster LLC"
  10. Teecher45

Jan 29, 2010
    Thanks for all of your help guys.
    I guess what I really want to know with question #1 is what most are carrying if you carry your 10mm as a CCW. Full house loads or lesser rounds. And why?
    Anyone carry "roll your owns" for SD?
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  11. blk69stang

Jan 10, 2011
    I carry full-house loads in my 20. My reasoning is this: I'd rather over-penetrate, than under-penetrate. A 200gr Nosler going 1250 fps will deal effectively with barriers, critters, and two-legged miscreants. I don't carry it in to town, so hitting an innocent on the other side is not much of a concern to me. When I go to town, I usually tote my dept-issued P2000 in .40 cal; that way I won't lose my own gun as "evidence" if I get into a shooting, there's much less risk of over-penetration in a public setting, and the full-size G20 is a bit difficult to conceal on my 6'1", 180lb frame when wearing only shorts and a t-shirt.

If I were toting a G29 as my only carry gun, I'd go for something in the 165gr flavor, that was "warm" but not "nuclear". Silvertips or similar would fit the bill nicely. Because in all reality, the shorter barrel of the 29 is going to get your velocities down into "hot .40" territory anyway. Nuclear hot loads are not going to produce that much more velocity, but they WILL produce much more muzzle flash and blast.
  12. attrapereves

Sep 11, 2011
    I carry handloaded 165gr Gold Dots that average between 1300 and 1340fps. I like to keep them under 1350fps since 21carrier noted that they tend to come apart at nuke velocities.
  13. Wolf Spyder

Wolf Spyder Gun Activist

May 26, 2002
    Central Ohio

I carry a full sized 10mm Glock 20 almost everyday of the year. I also carry at least two spare, standard capacity, 15 round, G20 magazines. However, about half the time I carry as many as four spare magazines. I have been carrying the Glock 20 for over a decade.

I like the Speer Gold Dot 165 grain bullet. I handload my own with, carefully measured, 10.2 grains of 800X. I have not tested any of Underwood's stuff in water jugs, but everyone seems to like it. My load looks like this from my Glock 20 when recovered from the second, sometimes third, water jug...

I would buy a Glock 20 top end and a pile of standard capacity 15 round magazines and drop the 21 top end in a drawer some place to be long forgotten. These are all loaded with Winchester 175 grain Silvertips.

Theis Holsters look typical of the Hybrid holsters. I would check out "Old Faithful Holsters" at this link... and see what you think.

I have used several holsters over the years. I have used the Clip Draw thingy as a quick-tuck-it-in-my-pants-on-the-way-out-the-door type of use and it worked well for me. Some folks don't like it for safety reasons...

I am currently using a Galco Summer Comfort. It is ok, but I want to try Old Faithful Holsters next. This is my EDC.

+1 Safariland

I knew what the 10mm was long before I purchased my first Glock 20. I am somewhat of a geek when it comes to ballistics and handloading. I am, after all, a firearms enthusiast. So I will instead offer you some advice that I often give to others reguarding their Glock self defense pistols.

??? I wear cargo shorts and a polo / golf shirt and I conceal carry a 10mm Glock 20 and two magazines. A Glock 29 should be a piece of cake!!

Both 10mm Glock 20's are the same age, but one is carried more than the other...

14. Teecher45

Jan 29, 2010
    Thanks for all of your help guys, especially Wolfy!
    The only reason I would keep my 21 as my HD weapon is the fact that I have 3 boys in the house and I feel better about the .45 not going through the walls and doing damage than a 10mm. Am I wrong?
    The 21 is a Gen 4 so it would be awhile before the upper/slide will be available for it.
    Another reason I will probably keep the 21 is the surplus of rounds I have for it.
    I ended-up ordering 250 rounds from Underwood (165 gr. GD's). I have only shot 50 rounds from it so far but I love it.
  15. Teecher, you're going to be fine with the 21 for HD and a 29 for carry. That's pretty much my exact setup most of the year. I just picked up a new 20SF and will be rotating it into carry mode when the weather cools a little. For what its worth, I carry Silvertips (175 gr.) daily, and have some heavy 200 gr. Swampfox left over that I load for packing in the High Sierras.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  16. Teecher45

Jan 29, 2010
    Thanks guys.
    Seriously considering trading my 21 for a 30SF just so I can interchange slides and such, if need be. Also, I could CC my 30 some. Not happening with the 21. I am seriously considering going with the 30 because the 29/30 is my favorite size Glocks. And the .45 is hurt less (IMO) with the short barrel due to it using mass more than FPS.
    Any reason that you guys can think of to stay with the 21?
  17. Meathead9

Aug 23, 2009
    The PRK
    Capacity. Although I love my G30SF, I find it just as easy to conceal a 20/21SF. I think the full size is a much better platform for 10mm, so I'd stick with that. If I were you, I'd save my money and wait to buy a GEN 4 G20.
  18. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    I think you made a wise choice in ammo, I carry underwood's 165gr gold dots also...
  19. That may be, but it's no good to me if I can't actually buy it.
    Checked out their website and nothing except 155gr HP is actually available.