close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

improvised defenses

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by nightwolf1974, Apr 30, 2012.

1. nightwolf1974

nightwolf1974

May 20, 2006
    NH
    First, I DO NOT condone the show Doomsday Preppers showing "Mr. Wayne" building and using pipebombs on TV!! That gives preppers like us a bad name; not only with a parnoid government, but with people who don't understand us to begin with.

NOW..............

One of my many intended defenses is blackpowder muzzleloading canons that I can build. Loaded with shot, chain, or nails they can really kick butt. And there is no federal offense in building, owning, and firing these types of canons.

Any other thoughts?

2. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Spershul Furces

Aug 18, 2010
    TX
    Yes.

:rofl:

3. beatcop

beatcop

Aug 13, 2003
    New England
    Best not to mess with stuff that can rip a limb off in shtf...prob no ambulance coming.

4. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Feb 15, 2006
    Las Vegas
    I hav had alot too drinc. i should refrain for posting here,

But anyone who get information about prepping from THe Discovery Channel should seriously look at re-evaluating their plan.

5. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

May 21, 2011
    North-Central Florida
    My best defensive weapon is one I got from a UFO that crashed in the woods nearby. Since this type of weaponry doesn't exist, as far as lawmakers know, they haven't passed any laws against it.

And just to be clear, I know nothing about that 80 foot crater in my back yard.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  6. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

Jan 27, 2001
    Clarksville, TN
    Given my own youthful experimentation with gunpowder, confined spaces, and projectiles, I think the feasibility of any improvised "cannon" is highly suspect and is much more likely to KABOOM and kill the shooter than hit anyone down range. Why use a cannon when aimed rifle fire is available?

7. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Not to speak for the OP, but based on the loading of nails & such, I suspect the idea is more like a fugasse (fougasse?) rather than genuine cannon fire. Don't recommend it, but that's just me.

As for improvised defenses in general, I some rare circumstances I can see a benefit, but more in things geared toward limiting access, rather than things that cause damage. Barricades, things like that; not so much improvised 'weapons' as strictly barriers/defenses.

8. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    Kind of hard to think of a situation in modern times where one would have the time or inclination to use a muzzle loading cannon during times of emergencies.

It seems to me that if things get so bad you need a cannon, you've already lost or you should have left the area a long time before.

9. nightwolf1974

nightwolf1974

May 20, 2006
    NH
    i was just asking a theroretical (sp?) question. LIKE I SAID, I DON'T CONDONE ILLEGAL THINGS!!!!

10. TactiCool

TactiCool

Feb 1, 2012
    Southeast LA.
    Personally, I think that a prepper who is planning on establishing a static, defensible location would be better served with quickly deployable, passive defenses like hesco bastions and concertina.

But black powder cannons...

...Not unless you've got a peg leg!

:rofl:

11. PaulMason

PaulMason

Feb 10, 2010
    I saw that on Star Trek also. If, I remember correctly, the Enterprise and an alien craft were about to shoot each other. So the aliens who lived on a nearby planet beamed Kirk and the other captain to the planet to fight it out. Kirk developed your canon and stunned the other captain. But, Kirk refused to kill the other captain and save everyone.

Maybe you could develop a fazer?

12. [​IMG]

We don't talk nearly enough about Pirates here IMO. Thanks :wavey:

13. porschedog

porschedog

Sep 29, 2009
  14. wildcat455

wildcat455

Jun 14, 2006
    Az
    LMFAO!!!

Welcome to Glocktalk, nightwolf1974.

It's kinda like the real world, where people KICK YOU IN THE BALLS FOR STUPIDITY.

Please keep in mind, "The nail that is sticking up, gets HAMMERED down."

I think it was someone Japanese that said it first... wish I could Cite it for you properly...

Anyway, I would like to cite some... "flaws" in your logic.

Here goes...

You don't condone "pipe bombs" because they are illegal...

You DO condone a manufactured CANNON... which I can neither confirm or deny is legal in your state, mine, or my country... Let's just say here legalities aside, that I personally would strongly advise you AGAINST building such a device, much less ASKING ABOUT IT ON THE INTERNET!

EVEN if "In your mind, it is legal to do so".

Sometimes, "outside the box" thinking... Well it needs to remain "outside the box".

There. I said it. I hope for your sake you get it...

Tell me... How old are you??

Never mind. I just realized I don't care. STUPID should KILL.. Or at LEAST HURT real BAD!

Darwin must be asleep...

Good day sir!

15. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    I just saw that DP show the other night…the Mr Wayne guy thing was stunning…he manufactured an illegal explosive device and set it off on tv…HTF did he not have a case of ATF agents crawling up his a@#?

I know he didn't identify himself, but I can't believe the Discovery channel didn't get a subpoena on their desk…holy crap…

I mean, he's not a terrorist or anything, but that was a felony, 10 years easy.

But I hope he gets away with it.