close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Improving the "feel" of a glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by AFshooter11, Aug 3, 2012.

1. AFshooter11

AFshooter11

i am interested in purchasing a glock 26 as a carry gun but i have on reservation: the feel and ergonomics of the gun. actually, this is the only thing i dont like about all glocks. i narrowed my search down to the glock 26, springfield xd subcompact, and the smith and wesson shield. i thought the glock was better in every way except for the ergonomics. now, truth be told this is low on my list of priorities. factors such as mag cap, weight, and trigger all take precedence to me, but if i purchase this gun, i'd really like to give it a better feel somehow. i've looked online at some ideas. i found robar guns which will completely change the grip, but thats pricey. i also found some aftermarket grip add-ons by hogue, pachmyer, and limbsaver, but i've found mixed reviews on all of those. any other ideas?

2. Black&TAN

Black&TAN Senior Member

Just a suggestion, if you haven't already explored: the Gen4 adjustable grips have helped a number of folks better cater feel to hand. It's a simple pin that holds back straps in place, would figure most shops wouldn't have issue letting you try if serious about picking one up.

sent via Tapatalk

3. BBSRQ

BBSRQ

I have a 23 that I bought used. It came with a rubber grip on it and it felt too large in my hand. Taking off the rubber sleeve helped a lot but I found it was tough to keep a good grip on it when I was sweating. I just put a Talon tape grip on and it feels great. I haven't used it in the heat yet but just from dry firing, practicing draws and changing mags, it is a great improvement.

4. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member

Gen 4 is an idea, as is GAP floorplates. Granted, the GAP won't change the actual grip but they will add a bit of stability AND aid in drawing from a holster.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  5. TTex

TTex Cannon Fodder

I tried a few pinky extentions for a while, in the end I just got used to curling under. As mentioned you may look into a Gen 4 with adjustable straps. I say shoot it a while and you'll come to appreciate the grip.

6. Sandman_73

Sandman_73

Talon grips are a cheap mod that really made my G23 feel secure in my hand especially on those hot days when the hands start to sweat a bit.

7. oldguynewglock

oldguynewglock

Love my Gen 4 26. Once you shoot it you will like. You can use GAP plates, talon grips, pinkie extentions and customize it. I just curl my finger under the grip now that I am used to it. Not sure, rent one. We are all different.

8. Glock Junkie

Glock Junkie

I personally like the pinky extension on my G27. Shoot a 26 and you will have a new love

9. SJ 40

SJ 40

You may consider Cold Bore Custom http://www.coldborecustom.com/
    I know if I was going to have retexturing done I would prefer them over Robar.
    Now I am aware CBC is busier than a one armed paper hanger,to me it would be worth the wait. SJ 40

10. LuckyG

LuckyG

This is not directed at you, but rather a general truth. I've shot a ton of handguns over 50 years of shooting. Most of the "feel" stuff I consider malarky. I've had guns that "felt" wonderful in the hand didn't do squat for me on the range. I've also had guns that had a lousy "feel" in the hand that were death rays on the range. Obviously, I have also had guns that both felt good and shot well.

You have to shoot the gun to see if it works for you or not. Period. As some of the other posters have mentioned, rent or borrow some Glocks and see how you do.

Just two recent examples of mine:

1) Glock Gen4 G34. Played around with the M backstrap and a GripForce grip adapter. I liked the feel of the M backstrap but tried a GripForce adapter since it gave me better vertical sight alignment. GF had a better feel than the M. Later in my range testing program I pulled the GF off and used the grip with NO adapters. Didn't like the "feel" as much, but I shot better. Guess what - I now shoot the gun with NO adapters.

2) Sig P239 .40. I didn't like the "feel" of the factory grips, especially the flat front strap. Switched to Hogue rubber - LOVED the "feel". After about six months of shooting, I went back to the "crummy" factory grips. I shot better with them.

One final comment, especially if the gun is used for SD. You can't just take the gun and fire a dozen rounds to see which gun or grip one works best. My testing consisted of several hundred rounds for each gun, usually draw and fire drills. You also have to be willing to make some small changes, if necessary, in your technique as well. All of this presumes that the shooter has good fundamentals. If a shooter's fundamentals stink, he should probably get some instruction before buying a bunch of new guns. It's a lot cheaper.

11. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Bingo!

12. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Just get an RTF2 Glock. You'll feel it then. They didn't make them in 26s though.

Agreed that feel is subjective and you'll have to try a lot to find what you like.

13. cfr

cfr

I never really get slide bit, but does the grip force product make the hump less pronounced?

14. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Yes. Grip force is actually a pretty nice add on, and should come in every Glock box.

15. Rustin

Rustin

THIS times infinity!

16. barth

barth six barrels

Have you actually shot the Glocks or just held them?
    My G27 feels like a brick in the hand.
    But when I'm shooting it's nothing but sweet.

As for grips, Pachmayr Tactical Grip Glove is my choice.
    It doesn't come off the gun.
    [​IMG]

17. cciman

cciman

shooting the gun as much always make the "feel" of the gun better. The more you shoot/train, the more you become accustomed to the gun, and the more comfortable it is. This may not happen until around the 2-3K round count. It does not help you to have, and shoot multiple guns- then you are consciously or subconsciously comparing one to the other-- pick one and commit to it. That being said, there are guns completely off the "fit" and "comfort" scale for your shooting mechanics, and those you should just sell off without considering aftermarket orthotics.

18. cciman

cciman

Fondling a gun in the gunstore will tell you squat about how well you will shoot it.

19. JW1178

JW1178

One peeve of my G27 has been the way the Subcompact Glocks curve on the backside, just kind of digs in my hand. IOW, I don't like the backstrap. However, when shooting it is fine, but I perfer the feel of a Kahr. The Compact series Glocks don't quite do this.

You could have a grip reduction. Some places do it for you, or if you are crafty you might be able to do it yourself. It's just plastic.