close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Improving Scores

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Adam5, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Adam5

Adam5

I shot my 3rd match this weekend (2nd indoor). At my 1st indoor match I sucked BAD. I shot a 351 for my 1st set, and a 320 for my 2nd. Well, 2 weeks and an outdoor match later I shot a 394 1st, and a 425 2nd yesterday. I have room for more improvement, but definately moving in the right direction. I want to break 450 or 475 at my next indoor match on 11/4. I had a great time at Conyers last weekend, and hope to make the drive to the Pensacola match next month.

2. outsider0506

outsider0506

Glock indoor and outdoor matches are very different from one another. The indoor matches emphasize accuracy only. The outdoor matches are both speed and accuracy. Focusing on improving your indoor performance won't necessarily assist your outdoor performance.

I only practice in indoor ranges, so here are my practice tips:

For indoor, the best way is to actually practice the course of fire on a D-1 target, with a timer.

For outdoor, I put at D-1 out at 50' and do aimed pairs at the target, starting at a low ready. I also use a timer to start me off and to check my split times. I do the same at 25'.

For the plates, I attach 3 paper plates to a cardboard backing, put them out at 11 yards and use a timer to check my 3 plate run.

It's a little inconvinient for me at an indoor range, as I have to wait until closing time or just after, since the range only allows 1 shot per second. I'm well known enough there where the ROs don't care if I'm out there alone doing double taps. :)

3. Adam5

Adam5

I normally practice indoors. I need to get a timer to work on my oudoor speed. I also need to work on my 25 yard shots. That's what kills me. I'm starting to get more used to my Glock 17. Until about a month ago I was shooting a .45 Baby Eagle, and have been having a little difficulty adjusting to the much lighter weight, and different grip angle of my Glock.
    The way I see it, as long as I improve every time and have a blast, that's what matters.

4. outsider0506

outsider0506

I think you're right on target about having a good time!

The 25 yard shots are always the toughest with the Glock trigger system. I rarely practice the 25 yd shots, since my home range is only 15 yds. If you can shoot a 3" group at 15 yards, you should be able to stay within the 6" A ring of the D-1 at 25 yds.

I use a timer indoors and outdoors in practice. So now I'm used to having a buzzer go off in my ear. That's half the battle in indoor GSSF. The rest of it is keeping an even pace...

BTW, my best score in indoor was 480, so I have a lot of learning to do too! :) I've only gotten into shooting since March this year. So I've teamed up with much more experienced shooters to learn as much as I can.

Good Shooting!