close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Importation of all Russian ammo banned????

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by lakota222, Mar 13, 2006.

1. I was at a local shop yesterday and one of the Gun Shop commandos behind the counter told me that the importation of all russian made ammo into the U.S. has been banned. No more cheap Wolf or Barnual ammo.

Now I know better than to take the word of a Gun Shop Commando, but this is down right disturbing.

Say it aint so!

Lakota

2. Polo

Polo Brave Babushka Millennium Member

This idiot gun shop commando "said so and so" thing has being going on for so long, it's not even amusing anymore.
    What is still amusing is that some guys would still give them just enough credibility so as to have to verify it somewhere else...;)

Trust me dude, he's talking out of his sorry glasscase goon ass. This kind of idiot is exactly what fuels the scenario I will speak of.
    Russian ammunition is literally pouring into the country AS WE SPEAK. Vendors such as Sportsman's Guide receive Russian ammo almost weekly and can't be busy enough filling and shipping out ammo orders, many of which are to hoarders.
    If you can't see much ammo out there it's not so much because importation has lessened but rather because of all the ARMCHAIR COMMANDO paranoid guys HOARDING multiple cases and drying-up supplies at the slightest hint of import ban rumors, moreso even a price change, however small ;Q ...
    Kind of a vicious cycle.

:soap:

3. That's good to hear. I am not a hoarder. I buy a case and then I promptly shoot up said case. I went in and asked for 7.62x39 ammo and was told by this moron that it is no longer imported. I suspected that it was B.S. but it still frightened me. I searched the net and found nothing about a ban.

Lakota

4. cpubugs

cpubugs

Sep 22, 2005
    Lakeland, FL
    From what I understand Wolf was retooling alot of their plant and that is all. By the end of March there should be plenty of ammo.

5. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

Feb 10, 2000
    Virginia
    Hoarding is not buying a case and keeping some on hand. By all means, don't shoot the whole case if you have it. I currently have 2800 rounds and slowly plink through it but if I got down to 1,000 or so, I would start conserving.

I am sure Polo meant a hoarder is someone who buys 10,000-20,000 rounds with the intent of sitting on it since they heard there might be a shortage.

6. Polo

exactly

7. .30

Feb 28, 2005
    I know a guy like this. The man has 35,000 rounds or so of steel cased commie 7.62x39 stockpiled that he never shoots!;P Anytime he has a chance to buy some he gets all he can. I tried to buy a case of Wolf off him but no dice. According to him they are not going to be importing it anymore;g ;5

8. sopmodm4

sopmodm4

May 14, 2000
    NE Oklahoma
    I'm guilty too.

I always buy 2 cases,one to shoot and one to put back.

My goal is to have at least 1 ton of 7.62x39 ammunition within the next 10 years :D

9. Polo

Thn that should be bout....50 cases or 50,000 rounds! ;P

10. Tomac

Tomac

Aug 12, 2001
    Caldwell, Idaho
    There is no ammo ban now but all it would take is a stroke of a pen to make one.
    Tomac

11. Guod

Guod

Feb 20, 2006
    Nelson, NZ
    I am guessing you have at least 100,000 rounds of 7.62 in your basement. ;a

12. Tomac

Tomac

Aug 12, 2001
    Caldwell, Idaho
    Hmmm... I don't think so as I don't have anything chambered in 7.62x39 right now. Come to think of it, I don't even have a basement!... ;)
    Tomac

13. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    +1

;N

14. oldsmith

oldsmith

Jan 20, 2001
    Quit hoarding! I need some to shoot! Oh, wait, they have some.

Hoarding because you think it will dry up is on thing. The guys who hoard for survival are a little nuts. How are you going to move 1 ton of ammo around when the world ends?

Me, I don't need 1 ton of ammo. I'm sneaky and have a big knife.

15. Polo

It is a little-known fact that tons of ammo helps to keep your homestead anchored to the ground for when Katrina, or Tornado Thomas hits...or for when the home-sucking aliens arrive.

16. El Duderino

El Duderino Go Gators!

Dec 29, 2004
    Just had a similar experience today. At a gunshop in a neighboring town, just looking around. He had several stacks of Wolf so I asked his case price.....$275 per thousand. He didn't even flinch, said it proud like he was doing me a favor. I thanked him and kept looking around. The other guy behind the counter jumped in with his two cents to let me know what a great deal that was. According to him an importer connected to the Russian mob imported "millions" of rounds that were stolen and never accounted for, he then sold them for bargain prices. Because they were stolen he could sell them cheap and still make huge profits. And that is why we have all been buying cheap 7.62 all these years. ;P I just gave him the old "Wow, that's really something" and browsed around some more. They also had used Bulgarian 30 round AK mags for the low, low price of $24.99 each. Yup, quite a bargain.

17. Guod

Guod

Feb 20, 2006
    Nelson, NZ
    Don't these people realize how stupid they sound...rofl

So basically this mobster loaded up a boat the equivalent size of a super tanker, snuck it through the ports without an eyebrow raised, and has been selling it for years. :rollsmiley:

18. oldsmith

oldsmith

Jan 20, 2001
    Ah I didn't think of that. I better get to casting. I'm glad I got a .54 caliber, those balls are heavier than that old .36 I had.

19. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    $275 per case? Russian Mob? "Cheap" $25 AK mags? :laughabove: :laughabove:

So, how many cases did ya buy?? ;)

:devilishgrin:

20. Polo

WoW, goes show that there is still no shortage in this world of people that can shovel out the BS with impunity and make themselves into total idiots in the eyes of others.
    Amazing what greed with a little stupidity in the mix can do.

Makes me want to say this quote again:
    "I used to get angry, now I'm just amused."

Thanks for the story Duderino.