close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Important Michigan Bill- SB 59

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by xmanhockey7, Dec 7, 2012.

1. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Currently Senate Bill 59 is waiting to go in front of a House committee. According to the head of the committee, Frank Foster, the bill will be put up for a vote this upcoming Tuesday. Those in Michigan are encouraged to contact their House reps, Frank Foster, and Governor Snyder to ask for their support of the bill. While this bill is not perfect it puts us in a much better spot than we are now. Here is a summary of what SB 59 will do. I did not create this list simply posting it here for everyone to read. I did make one change that is in red as they used the word "may" when the law says "shall".

ETA: This bill will allow concealed carry in current "Pistol Free Zones" with extra training.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    Nice.

I wish there was more interest in the other bill to end purchase permit.

3. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    According to MCRGO the NRA and Snyder have reached a "deal" on the matter.

4. VinnieD

VinnieD

Mar 26, 2011
    We have that in Mississippi. It's called Enhanced carry, and it's totally worth it. You have so much more freedom to carry once you have it.

5. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Hopefully this gets somewhere this time. There's been lots of bills to eliminate the no pistol zones, but never went anywhere. By trying something new, requiring extra training to do so, maybe this one has a chance.

Too bad this isn't as high a priority as making Michigan a rightto work state. That seems to have sailed through without any delay.

Randy

6. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser

Feb 22, 2009
    Michigan
    Wait a second....this part confused me....

1. An individual who held a CPL in good standing within the previous 5 years will be treated as a renewal, whether expired or not.

• They have a clear track record of obeying the law and being a responsible gun owner.

• They will still be required to review current CPL law and complete range time.
    I just renewed my CPL and got it in the mail yesterday. Does that mean if it passes I have to spend another 105.00+ to renew again and shell out for another ccw class?

7. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    No. If you want to get exempt from PFZs you'll have to take the extra training class and pay $20.00 to the state to get your CPL updated. After that thought, you'll only need to pay the $105. Also people who are newly applying or renewing for a CPL and the exemption will only have the pay $105.

8. brisk21

brisk21

May 13, 2008
    Michigan
    Man I hope this passes!!! Id be willing to not "open carry" in pfzs, if I could conceal anywhere I wanted to.

9. Also note that HB 5225 is up for vote. This bill will get rid of the pistol registration.

10. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I hope that it advances to law.

11. Jason D

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    I get the NRA updates, but nothing about a deal. The last one I read on it said something about the State Police opposing it and Snyder dragging his feet.

I really hope this goes through.

12. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    My guess is we will be able to get rid of registration but still require some sort of background check on private sales. But who knows maybe the NRA was able to convince Snyder to allow 5225 to pass as he was the one holding up the darn thing.

13. Jason D

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
  14. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Bad update :(

15. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    I really found the part where you can pay a extra $20 for a different permit that allow you to have more of your Constitutional rights.

:upeyes:

You shouldn't have to pay extra to exercise all your Constitutional rights.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  16. No you shouldn't, but we do, so I'll take an incremental step in the right direction. If we hold out in an "all or nothing" stance, we're going to get the "nothing."

It's not a different permit, it's a check box marked off on your regular permit, just like LEOs can get. And it's only an extra $20 if you need to get it added to an existing permit. The $20 is to pay for the "processing" for the re-issued permit. If you are renewing or getting it the first time, you don't need to pay the additional $20.

I'm disappointed that Snyder has changed the deal at the last minute. Hopefully the Gov won't veto the bill if it doesn't get these new provisions added. He doesn't have to sign it, if he just ignores it, it still becomes law.

17. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    $20 spread out over 5 years to get to exercise your rights, vs not being able to exercise your rights, for any amount of money?

Sounds like a bargain to me. Its a lot less objectionable than the changes Snyder is trying to add.

Randy

18. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Sadly I think this bill may very well be dead. If we allow for signage to have "force of law" written into the bill we will see no gun signs everywhere! A perfect example is the state of Ohio. I'm betting a lot of places would have not put up no gun signs had it not been written into the concealed carry law. I also believe some put them up because they like the power of prohibiting guns.

19. TK-421

TK-421

Oct 12, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
    Ohio is not a perfect example, not in the least. Michigan is way more southern than Ohio. A better example would be Texas. Texas has a law where if the business has a very specific no gun sign, that follows the exact letter of the law, then it is illegal to carry concealed in that place. And you want to know something? It's pretty damn rare to see them, even in Austin, which is way more liberal than the rest of Texas.

And, if you see people putting up no gun signs, then just make sure to make it a point to go in there, unarmed, set a bunch of stuff on the counter, let the cashier ring it up, and then ask to see the manager. Point to the amount of money owed on the register, and tell them that is how much money they just lost because they have an anti-gun sign. Get a group of people to do that at different times of the day a few days of the week, and I'm sure the sign will eventually come down. Just make sure you ask to see the manager, the average employee won't care, but the manager sure as hell will. And if the manager sees it happen three times a day, four days of the week, they will either wisen up, or you'll just find somewhere else to shop.

The signs really aren't that big of a deal.

20. Radam3

Radam3

Jul 22, 2011
    MI
    $20 over 5 years seems well worth it to me. Granted the extra training will probably cost an arm and a leg....

Who the hell you callin crazy?
    You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch!