close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Importance of AR brand?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by emt1581, Dec 1, 2012.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    Anyone have consistently bad experiences with any particular brand(s) of AR's?

The reason I ask is because I've seen some brands, that are basically of identical composition, fetch MUCH higher prices than others.

I also notice that, among new gun/AR owners, the first thing they are concerned with are brands. If it isn't a Colt, they don't want it.

Personally, I have about a half-dozen different brands. Recently I built up a ShARps lower and an RGuns upper. I put a Gen2 MBUS on it and a military sling and after taking it to the range I am really impressed with it.

No rails on the forend, no fancy flash-hider just the standard birdcage, the stock is a no-name telescopic and it has a CMMG LPK. Shoots just as well as Bushmaster, Colt, Del-Ton, etc...

I love it so much I am almost done with an identical second build. I have a bunch of lowers left but I'm not sure what those will be.

Now for the purpose of this thread I'm not attempting to get on an RGuns soap box. And I'm not looking to debate the aftermarket accessories like optics/stocks/etc. I'm just curious how important you have found brand names to be when looking for an AR?

Thanks

-Emt1581

2. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    As long as it's a quality build put together by competent people with quality parts, brand isn't a issue.

The only brand I've had issues with personally was DPMS. Others have had good luck with them. I can only speak of the experience I've had with them and it wasn't good.

All others I've had weren't too bad. Minor issues here and there but nothing major.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012

3. 63bmechanic

63bmechanic

Apr 27, 2012
    make sure it has proper staking where its important, no match grade crap installed, chrome lined barrel and a 5.56 feed ramp and you'll have a good rifle.

4. HKUSP9SD

HKUSP9SD

Aug 18, 2012
    AZ
    Well I have shot quite a few AR15 models but the most difference I notice is weight and accessories. I know there is a lot of differences in quality of parts used and made in putting these rifles together, but none i have directly noticed.

I feel like its really what you want in a rifle. Brands are not a big deal in my book as long as they have a lifetime warranty lol. That said, my first AR was a CMMG upper on a Plum Crazy lower. I added a few things but my basic idea was to make it a light weight M4 type rifle. I would much rather have a DDM4, but for my first AR15 this is just fine.

And for the record so no one kills me via internet, I would love to have a higher end AR15 because they are built way better than I would know lol. Being in my position though, an off brand AR15 is not a deal breaker for me.

5. Lowers aren't particularly critical...plenty of good ones available. Barrels and BCGs are where the differences lie. Check the barrel specs carefully to make sure it's spec'ed out properly and get a top shelf BCG and your AR will typically be as good as anyone else's. You can assign these criteria to DIY builds and/or to factory complete guns.

6. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Go poke your head into the Black Rifles forum. Look around. Search.

Go over to www.m4carbine.net. Look around. Search.

Get back to us in a few days.

There is a significant difference in quality between various manufacturers of M4 pattern rifles.

Oh, and you couldn't pay me to have a DPMS.

7. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    I agree with everything but he necessity of the M4 ramps. I've had rifles with them and without and haven't seen ANY difference in reliability.

Maybe in a really short barreled gun (like a Mk18) or a select fire gun it would be a benefit. I don't really feel they are a necessity but they can't hurt anything either.

The lack of M4 ramps, amongst other things aren't anything I'd sweat over or let prevent me from purchasing a 16" or longer semi-auto AR.

8. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    That Plum Crazy lower....how'd you like it? Something about a plastic lower just doesn't sit well with me but again that may be my own prejudice coming out.

Thanks for sharing! :)

-Emt1581

9. 63bmechanic

63bmechanic

Apr 27, 2012
    the difference is really only shown when doing high intensity shooting courses really.

10. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    I've ran through many of those type of courses. I've done so with rifles that had and didn't have the M4 ramps and have experienced ZERO difference in reliability.

Either they are a trivial item or I'm really damn lucky!

:supergrin:

11. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    RE: M4 feedramps.

I found this somewhere:

[​IMG]

12. 63bmechanic

63bmechanic

Apr 27, 2012
    sounds good, iv had the non mil-spec feed ramps cause issues after sustained fire. had one lock the bolt in battery that was fun

lol warp, something were actually agreeing on? lol

13. HKUSP9SD

HKUSP9SD

Aug 18, 2012
    AZ
    Dude I have not had any problems with the 1500 plus rounds I have put through it. I heard of so many OMG its plastic bad mouthing, but the bullet doesn't go bang in the lower so I dont worry about it.

Only thing I know is its obviously not as durable as aluminum. Some guy broke a lower at the buffer by slamming the stock down to clear a round that jammed.

I also have seen fully auto run out of these and its not a problem for the couple thousand rounds I have seen lol.

14. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    This is exactly why I don't suggest polymer lowers for ARs. The threads on the back end just won't hold up as well to mortaring the weapon to clear a malfunction.

15. HKUSP9SD

HKUSP9SD

Aug 18, 2012
    AZ
    Very true man. I have friends in the ARMY who told me about this because i didnt understand why you smack a gun down to clear a jam lol.

That being said, im not going to be in a crazy war zone or situation where im really relying on my AR15. So polymer isnt a huge concern. Worst comes to worse I always have a sidearm though lol.

16. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    The quality of your rifle isn't important if you don't care about it malfunctioning...that is true.

17. HKUSP9SD

HKUSP9SD

Aug 18, 2012
    AZ
    It hasn't malfunctioned. Ever. Thats the point. If it ever jams though, I won't have to resort to slamming the stock down being a range/HD weapon.

Thanks for the input though. I always like when the "Elite" chime in.

18. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    I've had to do it on a range to clear a stuck casing caused by a case mouth failure.

As for the OP's question, I agree with the earlier comment that barrel and BCG quality are the two top factors. Both are easy to screw up, though. Some companies are hit and miss, while some rarely let a bad one slip.

It's entirely possibly to have a DPMS that will out-shoot a Larue, or a BCM that is a total lemon. Both of these are very rare in my experience, though.

19. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon

....says a guy who WAY overpays for ARs

20. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Negative Ghostrider