close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Imagine if the teachers' strike...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by devildog2067, Oct 3, 2012.

1. CAcop

CAcop

I at first thought it was a joke and my brother in law said that they were in fact serious about it. I did not grill him on it because I did not really care that much other than, "Gee, that's interesting."

Apparently the gripe that engineers have with physics people is the lack of a product so to speak. Much of it is theoretical and intangible.

For instance. The big bang theory. It is a theory. Whereas an engineer can say look at what I built.

As to where he heard it and why I suppose I could ask him but I do not care. My guess is that in these tight budget times each discipline on campus is looking to get their slice of the ever shrinking budget. The engineering deparment may have wanted to boot the physics department out of the science department. Or they wanted to get my brother in law to drop physics classes in favor of theirs.

I believe my brother in law because he has been duking it out with the swells of college campuses for 15 years or so on three big campuses. When I was an undergrad I knew there were big egos to be fed on campus but it was not until my brother in law told me what goes on behind the curtain that I realized the level of pettiness and drama.

I also beleive it because everybody thinks or wants their Johnson to be bigger than the next guy's. If not the biggest then theirs is the best. Most people, including very smart people, have not matured beyond 8th or 9th grade. Take a look around here. I have seen people here argue the following degrees are the hardest: law, medicine, physics, engineering, CS, IT, education, and accounting. They all can't be right, yet they insist they are.

2. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

No, there is no way to be kind about this. You dont know what you are talking about or again, you didnt understand the conversation.

There is nothing you can say, there is no argument that can overcome that at this point. What you just posted is nonsense. You dont know what the word "science" means.

To put it into context, what you have done here in this thread, is similar to reading a book in a language you dont understand, at all, then insisting on what the book was about to someone who actually knows that language.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012

3. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

The way to negotiate with public school teachers is by switching some subjects to internet teaching.

All professions have been turned upside down by the internet, why not public school teachers?

1 Indian in Bangalore could teach our entire student body Calculus 1. It is all about efficiency.

Public schools are ripe for an internet takeover.

4. CAcop

CAcop

Ok, whatever you say. I was pretty blunt with my brother in law about how I always thought of physics being a science. He explained to me the position of the engineers. I didn't really care since I am not an engineer or a physist therefore I do not have a dog in this fight. My brother in law I suspect didn't really care either since he has to help the chancellor keep the school running and not get involved in pissing contests except to tell people to knock it off.

Maybe my brother in law did not get that it was a joke and passed it onto me. He is one of those guys running numbers all day and forgets that there is more to life than numbers.

Rabbi if you want to be a dick about it go ahead. I really could care less what you think of me. No wonder your first wife left you.

5. Rabbi

1. In spite of your feelings, you are still wrong, and so is anyone who told you what you are passing on. If you would like to be right, I tried it nice, and you still didnt get it. You asserted your wrongness again.

2. My first wife did not "leave me." It was a very mutual split. I have been honest about mistakes I made, dont confuse that with "left me." However, I must have really hurt your feelings for you to lash out like that. How old are you? Do you feel like I stuffed you in a school locker or gave you a swirley?

Youre a cop. I assume you have worked patrol. Did you (of course, it is common) see someone, with your own eyes, do something that you have a lot of training to know is against the law?...then when you confront them about it, they lie to you or tell you someone said it was OK, start dropping names...or worse, start talking BS about what the law is?

You are being that guy about this subject.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  6. CAcop

CAcop

Just passing on a story my brother in law told me. He is in a position to know. I trust him because I know him personally. I do not know you.

7. Rabbi

He is wrong and you dont know any better (or again, you did not understand the conversation)

Outside of an anomaly, there are no real engineers who would not consider physics a science. To even think that is a possibilty is like asserting 1+1=puppy.

That is what you are asserting. It is that egregious. In frank terms it is bold stupidity. From the sounds of your story, you have taken the wizzing match between the physics department and the engineering department at a college, that has been filtered through the eyes of an administrator to mean something it doesnt. You are wrong. There is no middle ground.

8. CAcop

CAcop

Had I known I was going to have to write a report a couple of weeks after the fact I would have taken notes. Here is the conversation as I remember it.

I was essentially making small talk with my brother in law asking how his relatively new job has been going. I asked him because his old job was essentially the same thing but over time they added on a second department under him. Admissions and Registrar is a bit much.

He said things were going well he was just having to deal with some egos.

I responded with, "Pretty much the same as before. Are budget cuts the problem?" I asked him this because at his last two universities that was a huge part of his problems.

He said budgeting wasn't a problem at this school. (I had heard that before from my sister about this school but I wanted to hear it from him.) He said it was just egos.

I asked him for an example and then he got my attention with, "The engineering department doesn't think physics is a real science."

This got my attention because I had always thought of physics as being a science. I pretty much said, "What do you mean it isn't a science?"

He replied "Engineers don't think physics is a scinece because it is theoretical and engineering is tangible."

I said, "You mean like the Big Bang Theory vs. designing a bridge?"

He said, "Exactly."

We then moved onto lighter topics like his commute to and from work or something else completely forgetable. Had I known I was going to get grilled I would have asked him who told him this, when, why, etc. For all I know the head of the engineering department might hold a grudge against the head of the physics department.

That conversation seems pretty simple and straightforward to me. If you have a problem with it take it up with my brother in law, not me. He has 15 years as the registrar or admissions or both at three universities in CA. Smallest 25,000 and the largest 39,000. Prior to that he was the student trustee for the CSU system as an undergrad. Until you can match his credentials or tell me where he is wrong, FOAD.

9. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

My physics professor was a geophysicist. I have a handful of geologists in my family. One day I asked him what was the difference between a geologist and a geophysicist. He paused in the very deep, reflectful way he was known for and said, "They do it very well."

I suspect CACop's convo was along those lines.

10. devildog2067

devildog2067

There does not exist a single engineer on the surface of the entire planet who honestly believes that physics is not a "real" science. Not one.

Engineering and physics are so similar that many of the courses are actually cross-listed.

11. Rabbi

Your brother in law is an idiot then...and HE didnt understand the situation.

...and you still dont.

I dont know how else to get the point across to you. With each post, you only assure everyone that you dont have the slightest clue. Again, you are speaking a language you dont understand and relating information from someone who did not speak that language either....To me, and I speak that language.

You are hanging your hat on what a non engineer or physicist said about engineers and physicists. You are a blithering idiot.

Oh, and BTW, my creds in physics and engineering are better than his. He has none. I have a collection.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  12. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Fire the all. It's not like there would be any change in the quality of education either way.

I'd be willing to bet that if we had some non-union teachers, things would be alot different and the kids would actually learn something.

Just sayin....:whistling:

13. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Union whiners gonna whine.

:rofl:

14. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

:crying: Boo Hoo! Boo Hoo! :crying:

:crying: I'm in a union. I want something for nothing. Boo Hoo! I want $30 an hour to do a $15 per hour job. Boo Hoo! I want fifty weeks of vacation per year, I want cumulative sick and personal days on top of it all, I want all my medical paid for, I want, I want, I want. I dont' care what it does to the people that are paying for it. Boo Hoo! :crying:

I don't care if it's not sustainable, but I want, I want, I want and I vote for whatever person that comes along with a D in front of their name just because I want and I don't want to actually work hard for my pay.

I don't care about doing my job properly. I don't care about your children, I don't care if I slack. Who's gonna hold me accountable? I'm in a union. You can't touch me. I can do whatever I want because the union protects slackers like me. Just try and get me fired. You won't win. If anyone tries, they will just be wasting their time because I have all the taxpayer money in the world to buy me a union funded attorney and drag it out in court.

Aren't unions wonderful!

:wavey:

NOPE!

:puking:

15. INJoker

INJoker Simply Charming

How did this thread derail into taking jabs at ex-wives and insulting brothers?

16. Rabbi

I am not worried about people insulting me. The truth is, his statements are factually incorrect.

He may be telling the truth that his brother in law said those things...but it is still utter nonsense.

It is similar to someone saying the Pope is not Catholic. Yes, it is that insane a comment. If I was that wrong about something, and getting even louder about being that wrong, I would hope someone would stop me from making such a fool out of myself.

This is not a "grey" issue. This is not Rabbi forcing his opinion on people. This is a very binary issue. It is impossible for an engineer to not recognize physics as science. To say so would be similar to claiming the word "hat" is not a word. (as you say it and spell it out while providing a functional definition of the word "hat.")

17. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

I find it interesting that you are wholeheartedly backing up your profession when some teachers were doing the same in this thread.

Perhaps some misconceptions in education as there are in engineering, eh? ;)

18. Rabbi

No, you dont understand the issue either obviously.

This has nothing to do with feelings or emotion. This is an absolute issue. You cant make it into something else. You either understand it or you dont.

19. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

[​IMG]