close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Imagine if the teachers' strike...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by devildog2067, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Thank you. I'm sick of all this "thier Obama supporters, so they automatically suck" attitude. Shut up. MOST of them deserve a raise, just for working in Chicago.

2. devildog2067

devildog2067

I think your sarcasm meter is broken.

3. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Wrong. I just don't listen to bull****.

4. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

Of course it is a federal mandate...nobody said it wasn't.

I need to pull some receipts from past mechanics..they owe me some money for some reoccurring issues that I got charged for!

And now I feel guilty for not buying the bracelet for my wife from that purdy sales woman last year...I didn't know her salary was pivotal on my sole decision.

5. devildog2067

devildog2067

Well, you quoted an entire tongue-in-cheek post and agreed with it... you not only "listened" to bull****, you swallowed it whole.

6. devildog2067

devildog2067

So... you paid a mechanic to fix something, and it broke again, and you didn't take it back to the mechanic and demand that they fix the problem they were paid to fix?

Salespeople get paid if they sell. They get fired if they don't sell. That's how sales works.

Her salary isn't dependent on your "sole" decision, but if she doesn't do a good job with enough people she gets fired.

And no teacher was going to get judged on the "sole" opinion or performance of a single student. They were (are) being judged on the overall performance of the students they work with.

7. DWavs

Wait a minute...isn't that single student part of the overall performance??

8. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

If teachers are unhappy with their pay, benefits and working conditions, they should quit and find employment opportunities that are better.

Apparently things aren't so bad.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  9. DWavs

FWIW...I will say that I agree that a 17% increase is ridiculous. I am a teacher and have seen a 0% increase in 5 years. ;)

10. devildog2067

devildog2067

Yes, of course it is. It's "part." Hence, not "sole."

11. devildog2067

devildog2067

I was a teacher, and when I wanted a raise, I found a job that paid better.

12. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

That is a very fine insight. I mean that.

However, I dont expect people to do what they have not contracted to do. Right now, they dont (most teachers dont) have too many benchmarks in their contracts (related to pay)

Understanding this, I would like to (as devildog does) wants to tie a pay increase to new contractual obligations.

13. aplcr0331

aplcr0331 Compulsory Collectivisim

As Steven alluded to, I was being sarcastic. I still have yet to meet a teacher who did not tell me they teach in the environment I listed above. Not one.

Still have not met a teacher who will tell me, as a percentage, how much of an effect they have on their students. 10%, 35%, 75%? I always see these great posters on Facebook about how there would be no professionals without teachers, yada-yada-yada, what influence do you have?

Is it always the parents fault? Always? Then conversely it must also be the parents fault when things go right, as they often do with some students. Can't have it both ways you either influence the students or you don't. Which is it, and by how much?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  14. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

So are you seeking other employment?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  15. CAcop

CAcop

Statistically speaking if he has less than 5 years in it is about 50/50.

16. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

:dunno:

No shortage of teachers out there. I'm sure filling the position isn't a problem.

17. jpa

jpa CLM

If I get a pay raise I'll make it rain skittles.

18. CAcop

CAcop

Apparently not. Apparently it is not that hard to fill the same positions every 5 years.

I have met people over the years who went into teaching only to get out pretty quickly. They tend to fall into two camps. Those that realize they really don't have all their summers off and those that get burnt on the kids/parents/admin.

The ones that stay seem to be the ones who create a lesson plan that they can use year after year with little, if any, changes and it doesn't bother them to teach to a test.

19. ugly8604

ugly8604

Is the OP really stupid enough to believe teachers can change whether or not teenagers will drop out or even learn anything in high school if they don't want to? By the time they get to high school most of those kids have seen more than most adults outside of the big city. If they want to stay, they'll stay, if not, there's nothing a single teacher can do about it.

Some people are COMPLETELY out of touch with reality, and they tend to have the biggest mouths.

20. devildog2067

devildog2067

If the teachers don't affect the behavior or learning of their students, then why do we pay them?

I have been an educator. I have taught college, I have taught high school, and I teach in the Chicago Public School system--for free, as a volunteer. I have the ability to do so because I happen to hold a job that pays very well, and it both encourages me to engage in social impact activities and gives me the flexibility to do so.

The fact is (we do a lot of pro bono work for CPS, so I get to look at this data) teachers can and do make a difference. It's a profession where it's very difficult to quantify the precise impact that a particular teacher has on a particular student, but it's not at all difficult to measure the total impact that the teachers have on all of the students together.

You can't have a "negotiation" simply by making demands. A negotiation should consist of demands coupled with offers: "If you do this, I'll do that." What did the Chicago Teacher's Union offer in exchange for the 17% raise they demanded?