close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I'm too short...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by circa02, Feb 5, 2012.

1. circa02

circa02
    Expand Collapse

I've recently decided that I feel it's time to get a defensive handgun, not sure about CC however, so after years of treating guns as a intellectual hobby, I went to my local gun store with only practical intentions in mind. And boy am I limited by my size! Every handgun is like a desert eagle to me in terms of every day carry. It really sucks to be an adult man standing only at 5'1 and a half. I went in thinking that both the Walther PPS or the Sig P232 would fit fine on me, and I was totally wrong. Carrying either of those on my person would make me look like I had a wrench in my pocket.
    So that leaves me with snubbies, a Sig 238, pocket DAO's, which I wouldn't feel comfortable with, and either the Beretta PX4 subcompact or the Springfield XD subcompact, the only viable "serous" firepower semi's that could possibly conceal on me. I wouldn't take the latter two into concern, but I would like to eventually try IDPA with semi's, which doesn't take 'bugs'.
    If there's any other reliable 9mm or bigger handguns with the same dimensions as the Springfield or the Beretta, which aren't DAO, I'd appreciate hearing about it. Being so small makes those handguns that everyone else carries everyday look really intimidating. :( Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. G26S239

G26S239
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Patron

Glock 26 and Kahr MK9 are both accurate and reliable. They don't either feel DAO to me.

3. gunowner1

gunowner1
    Expand Collapse

Try concealing one before you decide on what to buy.I stand at a whopping 5' 4" and easily hide a G19, G30, and a 3" S&W M65. A good IWB holster makes all the difference.

4. A'boy

A'boy
    Expand Collapse
    fulla hateraid

This.

I'm 5'6 and I can conceal a full size 1911 no problem.

5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, what's the deal against considering a 26 or 27 or the Kahr micros (Mk, PM, CM, 9 or .40) ?

If you want an external safety, then ok. But otherwise?

For IDPA, the 26 holds the competition max of 10 + 1. And shoots as accurately as a fullsize gun.

#5 ithaca_deerslayer, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  6. circa02

circa02
    Expand Collapse

I looked at the 26, I can't imagine that being able to be concealed on me. And as I'm first considering this, I don't have a license yet, and here, (CT) you can't touch a gun without it.

7. hallnh727

hallnh727
    Expand Collapse

I don't know how soon you want to get your cwp but Sig is releasing the p938. I believe it is the same size or a little bigger than the p238. The 938 is SAO and 9mm. I think it is suppose to release in the summer.

8. circa02

circa02
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I didn't mention that one cause I wasn't sure if you guys knew about it. As for a handgun, for home defense, I would prefer immediately, but I doubt that can happen. Long story. I'm still undecided about CC.

9. JimBianchi

JimBianchi
    Expand Collapse
    Da Da
    CLM
    1. The Outpost Lounge

My wife (5'2") love the feel of my Kahr MK9 and I know Kahr makes some of their small guns with external safety so they are Massachusetts compliant.

With a Crossbreed SuperTuck it should fit/feel great.

10. hallnh727

hallnh727
    Expand Collapse

hk p2000sk, cz p01, s.a emp

11. Taphius

Taphius
    Expand Collapse

Could try appendix style carry, i can conceal just about any handgun in my smart carry.

12. Sharky7

Sharky7
    Expand Collapse
    Boomshakalaka

Give the Kahr CM9 a shot. Very small, moderately priced, yet shoot-able 9mm

Also - make sure to try In the Waistband carry such as the Crossbreed Supertuck style holster. Regardless of your size, you won't have to worry about a barrel sticking out from the bottom of your shirt then.

13. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7
    Expand Collapse

The reason those guns looks so big in your pocket is because IMHO unless you have really big pockets/cargo pockets those guns are too big for pocket carry. Idk exactly what you're looking for but a sub compact glock I'm sure you could conceal.

14. circa02

circa02
    Expand Collapse

No no, I didn't mean pocket carry. I meant they would look so big on me, it would LOOK like there was a wrench in my pocket. And I just looked into appendix carry, A style I didn't know holsters were made for. That might very well be right for me. I wish I knew some one around here who could help me get hands on experience with firearms and carry issues.

15. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7
    Expand Collapse

Where are you from? Also don't be afraid to look into other things like maybe a vertical shoulder holster. Granted a good belt and IWB holster will let you conceal many guns even if you're not big.

16. circa02

circa02
    Expand Collapse

Norwalk, Connecticut. It's a 45 minute drive from NYC. I guess this kind of problem is more normally associated with women, huh?

17. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer
    Expand Collapse

The problem of trying to conceal a gun is normal for everyone.

To some extent it is mental. If you believe you are printing, then you probably will. But if you take a different attitude, then you might not give off any clues, and a bulge is just some stuff under your clothes that nobody notices anyway.

But then there is the general culture within your state. In NYS, for example, I don't beleve my carrying would be taken too well. Even though legal, I would likely be reported to the police, and that investigation would not be pleasant. So I am extra careful about not printing. At the same time I can't be nervous about it, not adjusting, not drawing attention to it.

#17 ithaca_deerslayer, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  18. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy
    Expand Collapse

You may want to take a look at the Kel-Tec 9mm.
    I was at the gun shop the other day and I noticed one in their case and it looked flatter than the other guns in the case and it was priced very reasonably, at least in comparison to the other semi's.

19. Turk

Turk
    Expand Collapse

How about a Walther PK-380 or Colt's newly-reintroduced Mustang PocketLite 380? I have the Walther and carry it when I have a need for a lighter piece.

Good luck & stay safe!

20. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Really? Well, you definitely found the right forum for people who treat guns as a intellectual hobby.

Gun selection guide at 2:00. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcV-ZLbd-pk"]High Plains Drifter (3/8) Movie CLIP - I'm the Sheriff. And the Mayor. (1973) HD - YouTube[/ame] Get the big one.