Glock Talk banner

Im thinking of starting to reload and have a question...

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  JerryO 
#1 ·
Is the .357 sig the same bullets as 9mm, my 2 pistols are those calibers and like the idea of buying bulk for both to save the most possible, and what makes reloading the 357 such a pain? I dont want it to end up not bein worth it.

thanks
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

#5 ·
You can reload it just fine. The only thing is that because it is a bottle necked cartridge, it reloads more like a small rifle round than a straight walled pistol round. The only thing I'd do is focus first on getting 9mm down pat, then transfer over to .357 SIG. A lot of my friends burned out on reloading because they tried to do too much too fast and inevitably buggered something up (none were hurt, but more than a few lost a barrel or some other part.)

#6 ·
Jacketed bullets for the 357 Sig are also .355", but because the case has such a short neck to grip the bullet its better to use bullets specifically made for the 357 Sig as they have a longer bearing surface for the short neck to hold the bullet. Otherwise bullet setback can be a problem.

#7 · (Edited)
You can reload it just fine. The only thing is that because it is a bottle necked cartridge, it reloads more like a small rifle round than a straight walled pistol round. The only thing I'd do is focus first on getting 9mm down pat, then transfer over to .357 SIG. A lot of my friends burned out on reloading because they tried to do too much too fast and inevitably buggered something up (none were hurt, but more than a few lost a barrel or some other part.)
For best results, no, it doesn't load like a rifle round. The neck should still be slightly flared, especially w/ plated bullets. It requires a good taper crimp, most rifle rounds do not. The 357sig can use SOME 9mm bullets, but conventional 115gr or 124grRNFMJ will NOT work. The bullets need to be a truncated cone design, either plated, lead, JHP or FMJ. Loading a RN profile 9mm will likely result in bullet setback & possible KB. Getting the dies setup is the tough part & then loading only TC style bullets, it loads much like any other service pistol round.
Bullets that I have loaded successfully in the 357sig:
Berry's 124grHP & FP
Ranier 124grFP
Hornady 124gr & 147grXTP
Sierra 124grJHC
Nosler 115grJHP (great for going fast)
124grLTC (Saeco or Magma design)
124grFP (Precision black)
102grRGS (the best for going fast)
88gr Rem. JHP
135gr SpeerGDSB (0.357")
135gr LHP (RCBS design 147grTC)

Any bullet w/ sim profiles will work equally well, including MontanGolds & Zero.

#9 ·
#10 ·
So the .357 sig head spaces on its shoulder. The 9mm head spaces on its case mouth.

So what?

Well the .357 sig needs to be crimped to prevent bullet set back as the round hits the feed ramp. Hopefully in a cannalure in the bullet.

The 9mm has the case sized a little smaller than the bullet and is retained by the case at the back of the bullet. If a cannalure exists, the case can't be tightly crimped into it, or it may not head space correctly.

If you buy .357 sig bullets, you get a cannalure. I you buy 9mm bullets you don't get a cannalure.

JerryO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.