close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I'm starting today

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by bunch_G17, Oct 13, 2005.

1. bunch_G17

bunch_G17
    Expand Collapse

2. bunch_G17

bunch_G17
    Expand Collapse

So I guess you can see that my problem is my stomach. The diet changes today also.

3. ryucasta

ryucasta
    Expand Collapse
    IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Wish you success in your new endeavor.

4. YukonGlocker

YukonGlocker
    Expand Collapse

Good luck!! Be patient!!

5. bunch_G17

bunch_G17
    Expand Collapse

I figured that I better get into my routine I had a few years ago and up the meal count. This will take some planning and some suggestions from you guys. I plan on eating 6 meals a day from 5am to 9pm beginning Monday. I have a Wal-Mart super center and Costco within ½ mile from my house in Lewisville which should help with getting food.

Does anyone on this forum eat this much?

I plan on using whey protein also. Probably Optimum Nutrition but was wondering about Muscle Milk. The GNC in downtown Dallas has 2 pounds for $42, that is ridiculous. I guess I need some suggestions on online stores that have great deals on protein.

6. 45acp4me

45acp4me
    Expand Collapse
    Pissed puppet

www.dpsnutrition.com

If you are looking to suppliment protein without lots of calories, this is the one you want.

http://www.dpsnutrition.net/product_information.asp?number=CT046&back=yes&dept=1034&last=1034

Seeing that your goal is to drop weight, I'd skip the suppliments for a while. Aerobic exercise is the most important thing at this point. You don't start to really burn fat until you are working out at 70% to 80% of your max heart rate for at least 20 minutes. A 45 minute cardio workout three to four times a week + calorie cutting will do wonders. You can google up calculators to figure out the best caloric intake for safe weightloss for a person your size. I would imagine that 1,800 to 2,000 calories plus a 45 minute cardio session will get you seeing results within a couple weeks.

Check out these two sites to figure out your workout range:

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/maxhr.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/moser9.htm

Once you drop the fat and want to add muscle, it will be time to up your calorie intake and suppliment protien. Just stick to getting protein from lean meats for now, fish and chicken will do just fine.

Try mixing it up between the stair climber, tread mill and elliptical machine to fight getting bored. If you have access to a racquetball court and know anyone that wants to play, it will burn more calories and be a lot more fun than any machine you can find in the gym.

Good luck and keep us posted on your results!

7. John McClain

John McClain
    Expand Collapse

why would he wait to gain muscle? That makes no sense at all, and all that cardio is helpfull, but a good weight training routine would be by far better.

If I were you, I'd do something along the lines of this.

Weight train 3 days a week. You could do 5 days, but I dunno about your enthusiasm. Be sure to do the big 3, squat, deadlift, and bench. The ARE important in burning fat/calories. You'll burn more calories doing 4 sets of 12 squats with some decent weight then you will in 45 minutes of cardio. Not to mention, these exercises use more muscle groups at one time forcing your body to produce more testosterone. In sort, you'll burn calories, build muscle and end up with a body type that will burn more calories at rest. That would be the biggest reason to start weight training.

Some cardio. Try 20-30 minutes (30 would be better) 2 - 3days a week on a stairmaster or something. You could do it on your weight training days off or on the same days after your workout, do not do it before. Any more, and you'll get burned out unless you're really crazy about doing it and lets face it.. you wouldn't have that gut if you were. no offense, just honesty.

diet, I wouldn't go on a fad diet, IE no fat, or all fat and no carbs. Try to avoid over processed carbs try to get whole grains. Avoid very fatty things and just cut meals short. And like you mentioned eat more meals, but that can get really annoying.

The biggest thing to remember, a 6 pack is made in the kitchen.

8. California Jack

California Jack
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Good luck, you can do it. We're here to help and support.

9. 45acp4me

45acp4me
    Expand Collapse
    Pissed puppet

Everyone has a different metabolism, but I could barely add any muscle at all when I was playing racquetball twice a week for 1.5 to 2 hours at a time. I would wait a day, lift a ton, eat a ton and not make any noticeable gains at all. I did however gain some strength though.

A few months ago I started getting lower back/hip issues so my racquetball days were done for quite a while. With only doing one good cardio workout a week and eating lots, I started adding mass much faster than I did before. I put on more muscle in three months than I did in the year before that.

Cardio burns both fat and muscle, it's hard to really make gains at both at the same time. Of course you mileage may vary.

10. heat762

heat762
    Expand Collapse
    Infidel Member

2 Weeks ago I was 245....granted I'm 6'1'.
    When I graduated Marine Corp Boot camp I was 185, and most of my military career I was 210. Basically I have gained 5 pounds every year since 1998.

I have had a Bowflex and or membership to a gym all this time. I lift weights regulary.

Not until I changed my diet did I start to loose weight. I actually started following the Bowflex diet that is in their training manual.

It is a Low Calorie, High Carbohydrate, Low Fat, Low Protein Diet.

You get 1500 Calories Starting out, and stairstep down to 1300.

Breakfast 300 calories - Weight Control Oatmeal - Orange juice - glass of milk

9:30 snack 100 calories - Fat Free Yogurt

11:00 Lunch - 300 calories 1 sandwich - whole wheat bread, fat free cheese, 7 slices of turkey, some mustard

3:00 snack 100 calories - banana

dinner - 500 calories steak, veggies, 2 slices bread, milk

snack - 200 calories - frozen yogurt

You eat all the time, the first 3 days were Hell, but no I have sooooo!!!! much more energy and the weight is melting off.

11 pounds in 11 days

Exercise is a must - run 30 minutes a day no matter how slow.

31 Years old and feeling great!!!!!!!!!!!

You can do it to!

11. bunch_G17

bunch_G17
    Expand Collapse

heat762

Thanks for the schedule of meals and thank you for serving in the military.;?

12. heat762

heat762
    Expand Collapse
    Infidel Member

No Problemo!!!

I woke up this morning 13 pounds lighter than last 11 Days ago.

If you are interested in the diet, I will attach here. It has a shopping list and everything!!!!!! Just stick to the overall theme and the calorie count and it will work.

DO whatever you can for the workout. Good Luck!

13. heat762

heat762
    Expand Collapse
    Infidel Member

1/2 cup of Egg Beaters, 2 ounces of chopped or slcied turkey, 1 slice of fat free cheese.
    Scramble it all up.

2 slices of Smart Bacon

Juice of your choice.

Holds me over good till my 10AM Fat Free Blueberry Yogurt....Yum!

If you are married, and the wife or you has a crockpot, my wife found some good low calorie/low fat recipes that rock. I could post those as well.

14. heat762

heat762
    Expand Collapse
    Infidel Member

How's the diet going?

Mine is good.

31 pounds lighter. Just in time for Turkey!!!!

15. bunch_G17

bunch_G17
    Expand Collapse

Oct. 17 - 292.8

This morning 265.2 11/23/05

6 meals a day a cardio 3 times a week

about 27 pounds lost

16. DBradD

DBradD
    Expand Collapse

Good job dude!

Focus on counting calories and you can't fail at losing fat. I'm down 18 lb, one double chin, and two belt loops in a few weeks. Counting calories (and therefore not accidentally eating more than I think) is all I've changed. Before, I was doing cardio but nothing was happening.

DBD

17. seamus

seamus
    Expand Collapse

Swimming is a great low impact cardio exercise that will help you burn a lot of calories w/o all the impact issues of running. It's a good thing to mix in different kinds of exercise so you don't get burned out.
    Good luck!

18. 45acp4me

45acp4me
    Expand Collapse
    Pissed puppet

Great job bunch_G17, just get past the holidays and you will be home free!

19. rookieshooter43

rookieshooter43
    Expand Collapse

If you don't enjoy the fat free yogurts (or whatever else you eat for a snack, you could try a low calorie proteirn bar. That always helps me. I think it tricks my brain into thinking I am more full since I am eating something solid.

A place that I get them is the DPS website previously posted.

Good luck and keep up the hard work.

20. DonCT

DonCT
    Expand Collapse

I have dropped 34 pounds in the last five months, from 200 to 166 (I'm about 5'8)and all my pants are baggy. Now for the bonus. Keep all of your "before" pants and get some sweet IWB holsters. Yet another reason to get healthy.;f