close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I'm sorry, Win 7 just sucks.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by IndyGunFreak, Jul 16, 2011.

1. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Old reliable (my Acer 5315) bit the dust the other day (screen went out)... After retrieving all my data w/ a LCD, I embarked on a mission to get a new, fairly inexpensive laptop.

Ended up w/ an Acer 4388. Not a bad deal really (299 after tax).. I want to like Win 7, cuz everyone says how great it is, but.. I just can't.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+...rive/2845071.p?id=1218356319700&skuId=2845071

It's a little low on ram for a 64bit system (which I have no idea why they installed 64bit)... so I expected it to be a little slow. Speed is not my issue w/ it however.

Maybe I'm just to used to Linux, but this interface sucks. I considered XP pretty good, this just has to much "pizzaz" for me, and for a pc/laptop w/ limited specs, it's just unnecessary. I think Linux should set up on this laptop fairly easy... I've spent the last few hours uninstalling crap, clearing space, etc.. and should be booting a Live USB any time.

I'll keep you updated.. :)

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24
    Expand Collapse
    Bring M&M's

Does it have a "classic" mode you can switch to? I think that PC is 64 but it's single core. Some small memory upgrade might help but that one seems pretty speedy to me. Most of my PC's are old though. I did do some speed testing with one of those and past 3 GB of memory it doesn't really get any faster but I think 3 GB might be faster than 2 GB. I use 2 GB with no problem. I was thinking about getting one of those as I have an extra 4 GB of memory. I think Windows 7 has features that can be turned down or switched off to make it faster.

3. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24
    Expand Collapse
    Bring M&M's

Which wifi card does that have?

4. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24
    Expand Collapse
    Bring M&M's

Your link goes to the 4339 not the 4388. It looks like it has the fairly new Atheros wired LAN. In Linux that still usually requires downloading and compiling the drivers. The wireless driver shouldn't be as difficult though. The Acer website says it has Broadcom or Atheros or Intel wireless. It might take some work to get the wired network to work though.

5. Angry Fist

Angry Fist
    Expand Collapse
    *******!!®
    Lifetime Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad
    2. Show Me Glockers

It puts the blows in Winblows.... :whistling:

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

My mistake, it is a 4339, I thought it was a 4338.

Atheros 9285, on the live USB now, wireless works fine. I've not tested the ethernet port, as I'm not overly concerned about it right now. I've never had to compile an ethernet driver in 8yrs of using Linux (including on some very new hardware)... Ethernet has always "just worked". Wireless can sometimes be an issue, but I generally pay pretty close attention to the devices I get, and I have a good idea what will very likely work, and what likely won't.

When I saw it was an Atheros device, I was 99.999% sure it was gonna work just fine.

I'm installing now, I think I'm gonna have to make some tweaks to get my sound recognized properly, but it shouldn't be an issue.

As for 7, I'll look for Classic mode, but I looked for some option to disable the effects, etc.. and nothing was painfully obvious.

As long as my sound works after I finish installing (and I feel pretty confident it will)... Then I won't be booting 7 very much at all... maybe just to sync my Zune.

#6 IndyGunFreak, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  7. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24
    Expand Collapse
    Bring M&M's

It used to be common for Acer to use Broadcom Ethernet but the newer ones are using a new Atheros Ethernet. Linux doesn't include the driver for it. Atheros offers a package on their website so you can compile the driver.

8. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24
    Expand Collapse
    Bring M&M's

9. Pierre!

Pierre!
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I am sure you will think this sounds funny.... :rofl:

But -

Did you try the Help function? When you learn to ask right, it does actually sometimes work really well...

Worth a shot...

And sorry if that sounds *snotty*... it's not meant that way... It's just that we aren't used to having help that kinda worked in a while !!!:rofl:

:cool:

Seriously, you might be surprised. :cool:

#9 Pierre!, Jul 16, 2011
  10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Help function? Are you kidding me.. :)

Updating my installed OS now, after that, I'll fix my sound (I'm 99.99% sure I know the issue there).

11. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24
    Expand Collapse
    Bring M&M's

12. Pierre!

Pierre!
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Why Not Indy???

I have to use a manual, a forum, and search tools to do anything useful on Linux... :whistling: Cause Linux is so *eAsY* :rofl:

*SnOrT*

Stupid Rum...

You *know* I am just joshin you Indy...
    Jess yankin yer chain a bit on Saturday night! :supergrin:

Patrick

I'll put on my Nomex Flightsuit in preparation of the pay back...:faint:

#12 Pierre!, Jul 16, 2011
  13. Pierre!

Pierre!
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Funniest part -

I tell Indy to use help, and it took me 15 minutes to find "Turn Off Visual Effects"....

NOW Indy's laughin...

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

OK, partial success, sound is working now, but for some reason, not passing through to my earbuds (yes, they are working fine... they work in.. gasp.. 7)

Tried virtually every sound setting there is... Off to Google...

IGF

15. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi
    Expand Collapse
    Knicker Knotter

It is great; compared to Visduh.

16. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams
    Expand Collapse

Windows 7 does indeed have sucky interface elements, but most of them can be eliminated by using Classic theme and a few 3rd party utilities.

Classic Shell - gives you back classic (Win2000 style) Start Menu and a few Explorer improvements.

DisableTaskbarOnTop - fixes the arrogance of Microsoft developers who made Windows 7 taskbar always stay on top (ignoring numerous cries from disappointed users).

Folder Band - this annoying feature can be removed by replacing shellstyle.dll.

Quick Launch - can be emulated by creating a new toolbar.

17. GAFinch

GAFinch
    Expand Collapse

I know how you feel, my computer isn't fancy enough to run either GNOME 3 or Unity...

18. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

http://www.lubuntu.net

It'll fix you up (I personally love it)..

I've got partial success on the sound... Sound is coming through my speakers, but not to my headphones.

I'll figure it out eventually.

19. GAFinch

GAFinch
    Expand Collapse

Ubuntu 10.10 actually runs very well on my machine, there's just something disturbing about Linux OS's being too much for a 5 year old computer (it has the original 32 bit Core Duo). I just installed Fedora last week to try out the RH platform, but it was a little sluggish and then froze up while downloading updates, so I just trashed it. Haven't decided whether to re-install it or go for broke and replace it with CentOS.

It's interesting to read your Win 7 thoughts, as I'm gonna need to buy a new computer soon as my LCD is developing vertical lines on it.

20. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams
    Expand Collapse

Well, here goes the legend of "lean, fast Linux" vs. "slow, bloated Windows". :upeyes:

I have been using Win7 on my home computer with a 2004 motherboard (of course, the hard drive was modern and the RAM was souped-up to 4GB). It was very usable; only the untimely death of the motherboard made me build a new machine a few months ago.