close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I'm not ready for Tornado season yet

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by rolltide_pisco, Jan 29, 2013.

1. rolltide_pisco

rolltide_pisco NRA Life Member

NOAA Weather Radio is busy tonight. Tornado warnings in Southern Illinois and Southeast Missouri. Straight line winds estimated 70-80 mph. Got the flashlights out, watching radar.

I guess this is a sign to get ready and dust off my advanced weather spotter book. Need a new trunking scanner as well. My other one is shot

2. *ASH*

*ASH* in hell everyone loves popcorn

yep , expected line coming thru NC TOMORROW NIGHT , possible tornadoes , weather man said tomorrow the wind will not get below 25 mph all day and night gust to 50 :wow:

so in the morning i got alot of hunkering down to do .

3. Magnus2131

Magnus2131 Glock Gimp

Always on the watch here in Kansas.

4. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

I'm from Joplin. Wanna exchange war stories? LOL

5. rolltide_pisco

rolltide_pisco NRA Life Member

Can't compete with Joplin but I'll give you a close call.

April 2, 2006 I was coming back from Tuscaloosa, AL from visiting my sister. I'm driving north up US 45 near Milan, TN. The radios have pre-empted their broadcasts to cover the severe weather. Around that time was when an EF-3 tornado hit Caruthersville, MO. Well we stopped at the McDonalds in Milan even though my gut feeling told me to keep on going. When we got near a town called Bradford after we ate, the winds dramatically picked up and we turned around. Me being a geography guy we back-wayed it through McKenzie to Paris and back north to Murray, KY and got back home that way.

Next day I drove down to Bradford and seen half the town destroyed including six people who were killed. The EF-3 tornado is what came across the highway and went down into the valley to hit the town. That's the closest call I've had.