close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Im looking to buy a 30-06

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Brookelynngreen, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Brookelynngreen

Brookelynngreen

Feb 22, 2012
    So I am looking to buy a 30-06. I need you guys' opinions on what rifles are good to buy.

Reliability
    Construction
    Round Capacity
    Price

Thanks in Advance

2. Rancher

Rancher

Jun 3, 2003
    SW Missouri
    Can't beat a Remington 700. I ordered mine from the WM special order book they keep.

It's a 700 BDL with detachable magazine, stainless, with a 24 inch barrel (may be 26?). It was around $600 a few years ago but will have it a lifetime.

You proably should say what you want the gun for. Hunting, target, tatcial, or whatever. Mine is for whitetail.

Rancher

3. Brookelynngreen

Brookelynngreen

Feb 22, 2012
    I just went to the Remington website, there are a tons of Remington 700's. I just want a good reliable, durable 30-06 plain and simple.

4. What's your budget?

How much do you plan on shooting it?

I've got 2 Mossberg atr100 rifles. A savage 110, and a REM 700 adl, all are no frills rifles that perform very well.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    Depending on your wallet:

Remington 700 BDL
    Savage. (Not sure of model #. Might be 110 or 111.)
    Savage "Axis" gets good reviews.

Still want an '06???????? Contact CMP. M1 Garand!!!!!!!!

6. Rancher

Rancher

Jun 3, 2003
    SW Missouri
    Hunting, target, or what? You then will need an optic with most of the models as they don't have iron sights.

I got my son a no frills Remington 700. It is a .243 but they also come in 30-06 from WM. Came with a scope already sighted in and he has taken his limit on whitetail every year for the last 4 with it. Think it was right at $400.

Yes the Remington website will show a bunch of different models. There is the ADL which loads from the top which my son has. Not a huge fan to unload. The BDL has an internal box magazine, not a fan as I have seen guys dump their rounds in the snow while unloading. Like my BDL with detachable magazine. Cost a bit more but worth it to me, maybe not to you. Can't miss with any of them.

Rancher

Rancher

7. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    Savage Axis. Drop an 89 dollar RifleBasix trigger it it. You would be amazed how much rifle that thing will be for 400 dollars. You could always buy an Accutrigger model Savage. My stevens 200 in 22-250 with a rifle basix trigger drives nails.

8. Decguns

Decguns

Dec 29, 2003
    NC
    The best economy bolt actions out there are both made by HOWA in Japan. You have the HOWA 1500 and the Weatherby Vanguard which are both available at Wal-mart. Come standard with crisp adjustable 2-stage triggers and are probably the most accurate factory hunting rifles available. For less than the price of a bone stock Remington 700, the HOWA scope package rifles include a fairly decent quality Japanese Nikko Sterling scope.

9. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    A lot of value in the Savage 110, plus a whole lot of accuracy. Mag capacity is kind of a moot point in a hunting rifle. It's never been a dealbreaker to me if I like the rifle.

10. another option is a military surplus, sprinfield or enfield:wavey:

11. bwvan

bwvan

Dec 30, 2011
    Kentucky
    I second the Howa and the Weatherby Vanguard.

12. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    The July Guns & Ammo had a goog a comparison of the
    Winchester model 70 & Browning X Bolt.
    I recently bought a Browning A Bolt in 308 Win......very happy!

13. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    There are literally tons of good/great .30-06's out there. Without a budget, it's hard to steer you in the right direction.

14. davsco

davsco

Feb 27, 2011
    check out rem 700, also browning a-bolt, also tikka. my fav is the a-bolt but they're all very nice.

if you like lever actions, browning makes a very nice one that is available in 30-06. browning also makes a semi-auto in 30-06. i think remmy still makes a pump action.

15. bowtie454

bowtie454

Jul 17, 2009
    Remington 700 BDL. I bought a used one 21 years ago and it's still one of the best rifles I have. You can't go wrong.

16. Hawker Man

Hawker Man

Nov 8, 2006
    Arkansas
    Since no one else will say it, I will.
    Save your cash and find you a real nice pre 64 Winchester model 70.

17. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    The post 64 Winchester Model 70's are not bad.
    [​IMG]
    (on the right)

Mine shoots nice with 150 grain loads. It has a thin barrel (heats up fast), with a synthetic stock. Kicks like a mule!!

:cool: