close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I'm in.....

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by ZIG-ZAG, Jul 3, 2010.

1. ZIG-ZAG

ZIG-ZAG
    Expand Collapse

2. sambeaux2249

sambeaux2249
    Expand Collapse

I hope you got the blued one, not the hammerite grey one. I'd recommend ditching the tactical choke and replacing it with a standard improved cylinder choke. Otherwise, it's a great gun. I love mine.

Sam

3. ZIG-ZAG

ZIG-ZAG
    Expand Collapse

4. sambeaux2249

sambeaux2249
    Expand Collapse

5. Nutt51

Nutt51
    Expand Collapse

Great gun for HD. It will serve you well.
    I have a black finish express that I am going to
    send to J.D. at www.apitactical.com and have him
    put a parkerized finish on mine.
    If you ever think about changing yours or want
    any info. about 870's or customizing work done,
    check his page out.
    I would also agree with using an I/C screw in choke.
    It will shorten your barrel and is great for buckshot.
    Great choice, good shooting.

6. ZIG-ZAG

ZIG-ZAG
    Expand Collapse

I love this gun!

There are a few this I want to change/add (light of some sort ,shorter stock,and a normal choke tube) but other than that I love it.

I'm new to shot guns so please don't flame me... but what choke tube would be best for slugs and buck shot? I don't see myself shooting clays with this gun.
    I did see a video of hickok45 shooting slugs out of a 870 with an 18inch barrel and he was hitting at 80 yards (yes I know he's an exceptional shot) so I'm guessing it is possible to use this thing for hunting in the future.

This is going to be a HD gun / range toy for the most part but may also be used for hunting in the future.

7. snuffy33

snuffy33
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

My choices are:
    Slugs: Mod
    Buckshot: Cyl or Imp cyl

#7 snuffy33, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  8. Z71bill

Z71bill
    Expand Collapse

IMHO - go to Academy Sports and buy a set of choke tubes -

I bought a used 30" barrel for my 870 so I could swap out the 18.5" cylinder bore barrel when I shoot clays.

I can't recall the cost - buy seems like I picked up a set of PF brand chokes - full & improved cylinder for less than one Remington brand choke would have cost. A modified choke came with the barrel.

Most manufacturers say to use full choke for buckshot (but NOT extra full) and improved cylinder for slugs.

I would not shoot slugs through a full choke on a regular basis - not that it would be unsafe if you had to - but it will cause extra wear & tear.

Modified is in between the full & improved cylinder - so it may be the best overall option for a HD shot gun - if you do not know for sure which load you may need (slugs/buckshot) - and will not have time to mess around with changing it out when you hear a bump in the night.

BTW - it is always a good idea to test pattern the buckshot load you plan to use for HD. Test a few different shells - 0 or 00 buck or whatever you plan to use - see which choke gives you the best pattern at the range you will most likely shoot.

Same thing with slugs - see which choke is most accurate.

Besides the testing is fun.

Basic info from Remington is here

http://www.remington.com/products/accessories/gun-parts/choke-tubes/probore-choke-tubes.aspx

9. bsg1

bsg1
    Expand Collapse

congratulations! disguise that bad boy when you take it in to the house; just put a plunger on the business end and tell the wife you're cleaning the toilets.

#9 bsg1, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2010