close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I'm a little concerned about some of the new gun owners.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jame, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

These people are the reason I am glad to have my OWN range!

2. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

I would have a serious conversation with your son in law about safe storage of his pistol around the kids. That is totally irresponsible and negligent on his part.

3. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric .45 ACP

The safe slows you down to defend an intruder in your house. It's not worth it. Train everyone in family. Past in America, almost everyone knew how to handle the gun. Liberals has won in this battle.

4. kiole

kiole

This country is full of people who want to control others..It's each individuals job to understand the safety and responsibilities of gun ownership. If they choose not to use common sense then so be it. If i see unsafe gun handling or other stupidity I usually say something and then remove myself from the situation. I don't actively engage with new shooters who can't grasp basic safety and will leave a range if I see unsafe handling which isn't corrected by the staff.

5. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

Sometimes my five granddaughters, ages 3 to 13, have a hard time understanding proper stance (Isosceles? Weaver? Variation?), clearing jams, quick mag changes, etc. I'm thinking the safe is a good idea for a few more years.:supergrin:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  6. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

And this is why all guns should be banned!

7. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

No. The next time those who want to ban guns get majority, they eliminate the option. It's much easier to change a law than get a restrictive one passed. So, no.

Let the State stay out of training requirements and push for repeal of those State laws that have them now.

8. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Yep, we were.
    I remember when i first started CCing I was absolutely CONVINCED that i was printing and that everyone knew I had a gun and that I was going to be stopped by a police officer.
    I also thought that I was going to set off alarms in stores and libraries.

Now, its as much a part of my daily routine as putting on my tie.

9. countrygun

countrygun

Yes but some of us had Fathers around to teach us and we grew up knowing the rules and safe handling. I see what the OP is concerned about. There are a lot of people who are into adulthood and practically buying the first gun they've ever touched. It is foolishness not to be a bit concerned, I know the media gets concerned when they have an accident and then that concerns a lot of voters, maybe even influences them.

Some of us have taken steps like making sure our LGS is well stocked with free handouts about gun safety and safe handling. Our only LGS around here is very good about helping newbies and they have called me at home and ask me to come down and bring a couple of mine to help instruct first-time buyers who way want to order something that I happen to have.

Just saying "Oh well, they'll learn" is something I can't feel good about sitting still and saying.

10. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Join the NRA (if you haven't already) and get certified as a basic pistol instructor. Then offer classes, not for profit, and try to help people, and help spread the word.

A lot of people are new shooters looking for help. The more we make the educational resources available, the more they will be utilized.

I know that you know of some hard core guy who won't take any gun safey tips from anyone. But that shouldn't stop us from helping those who are actually open to learning more about shooting and about safety.

11. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Wow, you actually wear a tie to wal-mart? :supergrin:

12. Peace Warrior

It's easier not to shoot someone than it is not to bump into them while driving. Just saying...

13. Peace Warrior

Yes, and woman that never held a gun prior to borrowing one from a friend a couple days prior was able to stop her crazy neighbor/co-worker from killing her with a knife. No training per se.

Gun ownership works in SD situations sans training. Is training a great idea? Yes. Should it be mandated by .gov? No.

14. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

I like having to do actual training in order to carry. I wouldnt want just anyone carrying if they dont know how to use it.

I am concerned about many gun owners, when i see someone shooting teacup hollywood weaver and pitching rounds in the dirt from flinching and fumbling through reloads its painful, when i see muzzle sweeping its scary

15. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

I think this is the first time I've agreed with one of your posts.. But I wholeheartedly agree with this one.:wavey:

16. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Classiest lookin redneck you've ever seen :cowboy:

Sometimes..... i even wear sleeves.

17. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

Shouldn't we implement the same level of concern, regulation, and oversight on all the things equally or more deadly (on an accidental basis) than firearms? That list would include:

Car crashes
    Falls
    Poisoning
    Drowning
    Fire
    Medical mistakes
    STIs/STDs
    Choking on foreign objects

18. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

and then they do exactly what Chicago did, "Yes, it's possible but we didn't get any more forms printed so you cannot fill one out" Poof, instant gun ban without a law passed.

No thanks.

Do people never learn or do people STILL actually believe there is such thing as "compromise"?

19. TheJ

TheJ NRA Life Member Lifetime Member

Required training (and licensing) for carry is a modern day poll tax.

The right to arms IS the natural right of self defense. A fundamental right like speech and requiring training and licensing for for firearms is basically like requiring training and licensing to not wear a muzzle & gag in public. It would be like requiring training and licensing to post on the Internet. Like requiring training and licensing and fees before you can worship at a public church.

20. the monk

the monk

^^This