close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I'm a little concerned about some of the new gun owners.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jame, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

Mar 11, 2007
    State
    Everyone knows you're supposed to SPIT the nails and tacks you are hammering.

Someone must have told him, "You've got a tack driver there.", and being a noob, well, he....

2. TheJ

TheJ NRA Life Member Lifetime Member

Jan 24, 2011
    GA
    Additionally, if we didn't have folks constantly trying to hide all things gun related from people and especially kids and instead focused on education it would lead to even higher safety. Instead too many think brainwashing folks into thinking gun = bad somehow makes people safer.

IMHO basic firearm safety should be taught in public high schools (not just the NRA Eddie Eagle program which is a great program but only for elementary aged kids and only in select areas)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

3. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

Jul 23, 2004
    Israel
    People, including dealers, are at liberty not to sell guns to people whom they don't trust, but it's an economic thing as well as a liberty one, so the Bill of Rights ends up applying to idiots too.

4. LEOson

LEOson

Aug 23, 2012
    Middle America
    Same here. Growing up my dad kept his gun in a closet. It wasn't easily accessible to me or my sister, but we both knew where it was. We also knew we where going to get the wrath of God if we messed with it. But dad took the curiosity out of guns by familiarizing us with them. If we wanted to see it he would get it out and show us, but first he cleared it, and then made us do it to. Best lesson if gun safety a kid could ask for as far as I'm concerned.

5. LEOson

LEOson

Aug 23, 2012
    Middle America
    Edit: double post

6. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Aug 7, 2002
    North Carolina
    Well, instead of *****ing about it here on GT, why not talk to your SIL about it and educate him? That's the first step I'd take. We're all teachers of something in life. If this is a concern for you start teaching people about gun safety. this should include children too just like your grandson. My 5 year old daughter knows the Eddie Eagle rules and my almost-2-year-old is now learning that stuff too. I don't always leave my guns out but when I do, they have been triple checked and they know not to touch them. That's not often but sometimes I have to get at something in the safe and the long guns have to be laid out on the bed. I don't hide my guns from them and I encourage them to ask questions about them.

7. gommer

gommer

Feb 20, 2011
    There's never been a shortage of irresponsible people.

These people do all kinds of things that put others at risk. Drinking and driving. Driving without regard for the safety of others even if not drinking. Heavy machinery. Toying with explosives they learned how to make on the internet.

The list of things people do that put others in danger is so long I'm sure it would stagger the imagination of even the most creative mind.

Yes, we'll eventually hear of incidents from these newfound firearm owners. Not because they're new or anything special related to the frenzy of buying - but because they are people. There are simply some people who are an accident waiting to happen.

So do I worry about them? Yes. But no more than I would concern myself over any normal gun owner.

I'm far more concerned, for my own safety and the safety of my family, with the idiot hunter who shoots are bushes when the wind blows. There's no shortage of those idiots and they are generally male and grew up around and are well educated in the safety of firearms. They simply choose to ignore that education and be stupid.

I'm also more concerned with the guy on the highway swirving into my lane while texting or changing a radio station.

8. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

Jul 15, 2008
    MS
    Waiting for the inevitable driving and owning an automobile comparison...

9. Rotn1

Rotn1

Nov 12, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    This sounds a lot like the generational arguements that often arise here......... " what wrong with todays generation"..... not as - - fill in the blank - - as previous generations.

Why should we (us older or more experienced folks) think we are any more or less safe when we started out in firearms those starting today.

Sounds strange to me. I suspect, this new group is probably no less safe or likely to create a risk than when you - all started.

10. number1gun

number1gun

Dec 3, 2012
    Personal Responesability comes to mind.

11. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

Jul 15, 2008
    MS
    I think too many gun owners want to appear reasonable to non-owners. It's reasonable to want everyone to be safe. Therefore, its reasonable to require it. We have all watched as government and society has chipped away at personal responsibility and has attempted to protect the individual from themselves in every way shape or form.

I can understand wanting a family member protected from harm. I cannot understand wanting the government to force that protection.

12. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

Mar 29, 2008
    This is an issue of responsibility.

Children cannot legally buy or own guns until they are at least 18 years of age, to the best of my knowledge.

I know some gun owners train their kids how to safely handle firearms,and in some parts of the country (mostly rural areas) the culture surrounding guns is totally different than it is in others.

I know folks who take their kids hunting and trust them fully with their firearms, which is absolutely fantastic.

However, the fact remains that adults are responsible for their firearms and IMHO, should be held accountable for their failure to secure them.

Losing a child is a horrible event.
    My sister lost her 9 year old son two weeks before his 10th birthday to cancer many years ago and she still isn't over it and I believe if it had been due to something that was preventable it would have been even harder for her to cope with.

13. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

Dec 13, 2005
    America
    Arizona has had constitutional carry for a few years now. I think we have the same amount of idiots carrying concealed guns as we always did. Training doesn't fix stupid.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

14. Glock Enthusiast

Glock Enthusiast Banned

Feb 10, 2009
    Mid-Michigan
    Does it make me an irresponsible gun owner if I leave multiple loaded, mostly unchambered, firearms around my house unsecured? I have no children. No children are ever visiting my home.

15. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

Jul 15, 2008
    MS

Yes. They all should be chambered.

16. dango

dango

Jun 9, 2008
    Pssssssst , We were all newbs at one time..! Shhhhh..! :shocked:

17. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Jan 12, 2007
    the narrow way
    Gun responsibility is a right of passage. Fathers/Mothers to their children, so on and so forth. For those whose mom or dad didn't own guns and are really brand new to guns, then learn "The Gun Safety Rules" we all learned, beyond this, there is no need for any additional anything for new gun owners and I simply say practice, practice, and practice some more.

The Four Rules by Colonel Jeff Cooper:

1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

18. Hawkeye16

Hawkeye16

Mar 19, 2012
    I am sure there are a few people that have only bought used guns...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

19. Lady Glock

Lady Glock

May 4, 2008
    GA
    Check out this video and pass it on to your SIL so they can watch it with your grandson...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIEBrb_wRYc"]Learn Gun Safety With Eddie Eagle - YouTube[/ame]

It's one of the Eddie Eagle videos. If you find the right link, you might be able to get some Eddie Eagle materials like coloring books and stickers. I got a bunch of stuff free, shared it with my kids and took them shooting with me. We blew up a watermelon that they had drawn faces on, so they knew what the gun could do if they weren't careful. They both have been shooting since they were VERY young. My daughter was 7, my son was 2/3 when they were first introduced to guns.

20. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

Nov 18, 2010
    SW Florida
    Instead of requiring training, if that offends you, why not offer an incentive to new CCW applicants by saying "If you complete state approved training course ABC, the term of your permit will be 4 years instead of the standard 3. If you complete courses ABC and XYZ, your permit will be effective for 5 years. There will be no additional permit fees for the extended terms."

I suspect many new gun owners don't have mentors to teach them the rules and coach them in basic handling techniques. I don't have the answers, but I do believe learning 4 basic safety rules falls far short of adequate training, especially with handguns.

If a person new to firearms lacks adequate training, he may teach himself some very bad habits. Extensive practice of bad techniques can lead to unsafe performance thats very hard to unlearn.