close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Illinois Question

Discussion in 'Illinois Glockers' Club' started by Herdsman76, Dec 15, 2006.

1. isp2605

isp2605
    Expand Collapse

Depends on where you live. Some of the collar cities have very restrictive laws too. Here's a partial list on the right hand side. It is not all inclusive as cities in IL can elect to have home rule. These cities can pass laws which are more restrictive than state law.
    http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/ordinances.cfm

No. If you are a resident then you need a FOID card to buy a firearm and ammo and you need a FOID card to possess a firearm or ammo.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Rockdiver

Rockdiver
    Expand Collapse

It is cook county and chicago that aretrying to eliminate gun ownership in IL, and Blago is just Daley's finger puppet.

3. mfm691

mfm691
    Expand Collapse

Hi, guys!

Aside from all of the bickering, I am not aware of any laws that require gun owners to "register" their guns.

My understanding of Illinois law is that you must keep records of firearm (not ammo) transactions for 10 years.

If this is incorrect, please direct me to legislation indicating that I need to "register" a firearm.

Thanks!

mfm

4. isp2605

isp2605
    Expand Collapse

You are correct. No firearm registration by state law. However, there are some cities which require registration. That is a city ordinance, not state law.
    Must keep records of your firearms transactions for 10 yrs.

5. mfm691

mfm691
    Expand Collapse

ISP:

Thanks for your immediate answer. I know you speak with authority based on your FBINA 183. I have never been there but I am an SPSC 234.

mfm

6. isp2605

isp2605
    Expand Collapse

What's the date on that? I'm not up on class numbers. We might have had some of our folks there if I can recall who went and what dates. We were always sending folks to about every kind of class out there.

7. mfm691

mfm691
    Expand Collapse

No one from ISP in my class.

It was Sept-Dec 06 (very recent). The only trooper we had was from Ohio.

mfm

8. isp2605

isp2605
    Expand Collapse

With those dates I wouldn't have known who would have gone even if we would have sent anyone. I'm away from it now.
    Anyway, CONGRATS and welcome back. Now you can relax after all that studying and paperwork. That's one place where you definitely earn your paper.

9. PanchoVilla

PanchoVilla
    Expand Collapse

Living in Chicago and working for CCSheriff, I can clarify this question. Handguns (assault rifles, .50cal, pistol grips, .30cal, and other high caliber rounds also) are illegal in chicago, you can own a handgun outside of chicago, you cannot own or buy a weapon without a FOID card in IL (We dont want convicts, drug users, mentally challenged, illegals with guns), and you must register your weapon every year if u live in Chicago.

10. PanchoVilla

PanchoVilla
    Expand Collapse

One correction on last post. If you live in Chicago the only way you can own a handgun is if you are law enforcement, correctional, armed security, armoured guard, shop/store owner, and I might be missing something. That does not mean they can carry their weapon only sworn law enforcement.

11. MakeMineA10mm

MakeMineA10mm
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member Lifetime Member

One other thing about the FOID card that is often forgotten/missed:

When the law was instituted, the argument for it (by the anti-gun crowd) was: "we're not registering your guns.... (we're registering all the people who have guns, hehehe...)"

Yes, in the People's Kommunist State of Illinois (full name of state), the liberals have managed to create a gun-owners registration rather than a gun registration. It makes more sense really... Easier to keep track of for when they come looking for the guns. Don't need to look up NICS checks or laboriously go through each gun registration... You just pull the FOID list and go to each address.

(Impatiently waiting the day I can get out of this place!)

12. Paul7

Paul7
    Expand Collapse
    New Guy

I believe handguns are also illegal in Oak Park and Evanston for non-LE.

13. speedracer815

speedracer815
    Expand Collapse
    NRA - ISRA

Now what puzzles me is that after acquiring a FOID I still have to have a mandatory wait when buying firearms. You'd think a FOID would streamline the process, since a background check has already been performed. Obviously that is not it's intent.

14. +P+

+P+
    Expand Collapse
    Big Member

I'm not trying to fan any flames here.....

I live in a far west suburb of Chicagoland area, (Dupage County) and I regularly go to visit to Midwest Guns in Cook County (Lyons, IL www.midwestguns.com), because of their decent selections on firearms, decent pricing, and indoor range (one of the few around).

Midwest, being in Cook County) will NOT allow any "assault weapons" into the building, but handguns are legal and as a matter of fact, is exactly where I purchased my first handgun.

Cook county does have an "assault weapons ban" that pretty closely mirrors the 1994 Clinton AWB. But, handguns are allowed except within Chicago "city limits". And, as stated, there are a few other cities that have a ban on handguns as well.

As for transporting handguns through city limits, here is an excerpt from the law:

ILLINOIS: A nonresident is permitted to transport a firearm provided it is unloaded, enclosed in a case, andnot easily accessible. A nonresident may possess an operable firearm for licensed hunting, or at a Departmentof Law Enforcement recognized target shooting range or gun show.

CHICAGO: Chicago requires all firearms possessed in the city to be registered. Handguns notpreviously timely registered in Chicago cannot be registered. Oak Park, Evanston, MortonGrove, Highland Park, Wilmette and Winnetka prohibit the possession of a handgun.Firearms may be transported under the general rule through Chicago for lawful recreationalfirearm−related activities.

Hope that helps lonewolf01

15. JVMHGF

JVMHGF
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Pertaining to shop/store owners, they can carry in their stores, correct? Examples I have seen are Gunworld, Shore Galleries, etc.

16. TattooedGlock

TattooedGlock
    Expand Collapse
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

I HATE CHICAGO AND ILLINOIS! THE LAST COMMUNIST STATE IN THE UNION! I WISH IT WOULD FALL OFF THE FACE OF THE COUNTRY!

I'M A COP IN TEXAS AND I'M FROM CHICAGO!!! I HAVE FAMILY IN CHICAGO!!! I MAY HAVE TO MOVE TO SOUTHERN ILLINOIS DUE TO MY MILITARY WIFE AND I AM DREADING IT!!!

I HAVE TONS OF GUNS AND NO RECEIPTS OR PAPERWORK FOR ANY OF THEM! I DO NOT PLAN TO BE A COP IN ILLINOIS, AS I HAVE NO DESIRE TO PROTECT AND DEFEND ANYONE IN A STATE THAT DOES NOT EVEN ALLOW ITS CITIZENS THE PROTECTION OF THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION!!!

I GUESS WHEN I SHOW UP WITH ALL MY GUNS AND I TAKE A FEW MONTHS TO GET SETTLED AND MAYBE CHANGE MY LICENSE (ONLY IF I HAVE TO), THEN I'LL GET A STUPID FOID CARD. CAUSE YOU KNOW ALL THE GARBAGE THAT LIVES IN EAST ST. LOUIS HAS FOID CARDS AND FOLLOWS THE LAW AND NEVER, EVER COMMITS ANY CRIMES.

F.U. ILLIOIS!!!

OK. NOW I FEEL BETTER.:thumbsup:

17. speedracer815

speedracer815
    Expand Collapse
    NRA - ISRA

Don't forget Wisconsin. No FOID but otherwise they're about identical.

18. crimsonice5656

crimsonice5656
    Expand Collapse

Is the AWB in chicago or for all of cook country?

19. PanchoVilla

PanchoVilla
    Expand Collapse

awb is for chicago, and chicago has their own defenition of AW. Cook County has no ban, but some towns in the county do.

20. budawg

budawg
    Expand Collapse

New to the forums here and am just now starting to become more interested in 2nd amendment rights in relation to Illinois....Chicago in particular. I want to ask some questions, but would like to preface it by saying that this is completely hypothetical and purely to satisfy my curiosity.

Anyhow, after some discussion with a friend, I wonder if I don't completely understand the gun laws in Chicago and other municipalities such as Wilmette and Winnetka. If you are caught in possession of a handgun in either of these places, does it mean automatic jail time or just a hefty fine? I always thought jail, but after reviewing the popular handgun case involving the gentleman in Wilmette, all that happened to him was a $750 fine.

Furthermore, let's say you lived in Chicago, someone broke into your house and you defended yourself with a kitchen knife and the intruder was unfortunately killed. Can anything be held against you? It would be self defense, correct? So along those same lines, if you used a gun, it's still technically self defense, you just used a medium that happens to be illegal so you're problem would be the fact you had a gun when you shouldn't have, not so much the self defense issue (assuming that it was done by the "book" and such). If you look at Tank Johnson, he had I think 4 assault weapons and was only given a fine...granted a large one, but no jail time.

Does this make any sense?