close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

I'll Keep My J frame

Discussion in 'The Snubbie Club' started by G27Chief, Apr 1, 2010.

1. G27Chief

G27Chief Lifetime Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Southwestern Gawjaw
    Know what has more stove pipes than New York in the late 1800's? My Kel Tec P3AT!
    Know what is about as reliable than a Washington politician? My Kel Tec P3AT!
    The only good thing about it, is that when it works, it as as accurate as a Democrat seeking your wallet.......but that is not enough to have me stake my life on it.

I will stick to my 5 shot J frame for a pocket pistol

2. Glock 17L

Glock 17L *GLOCKAHOLIC*

Jan 19, 2004
    Louisville Kentucky
    Sounds like your Kel-Tec is "Great" for practicing Failures...
    I will admit to "Once" having a Grendel P-10 the great grandfather to your Kel-Tec, Ruger LCPs etc.
    For the price of what people want for .380/9mm Kurtz ammo nowdays you can buy 44 Magnum..
    Guess what's in my Pocket??
    S&W J Frame Airweight Model 642/942..
    It's always been 100%

Smith & Wesson Models 940 & 642/942 Convertion 9mm
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
    janice6 likes this.

3. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    Sorry about your Keltec failing, mine has been flawless. That being said, there is no comparison between a Smith J-frame and a Keltec anything, IMHO!

4. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    I think it's just a matter of understanding what the KT is really meant for...a low use carry gun.
    The problem is, I want my carry gun to be durable and handle lots of practice, which should be a requirement for anyone relying on such guns. I never felt like the KT P3AT I had would last very long.

5. G27Chief

G27Chief Lifetime Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Southwestern Gawjaw
    Well I should have known better. In the days of old when I started out as a rookie, a j frame Smith rode with me both off and on duty. That model 60 is in a place of honor in my safe. My 340Sc now rides in my pocket, no matter how I am dressed. It has proven to be accurate and reliable, and super light.

If I went with another pocket sized.380 it would likely be a Kahr or the new Smith. It would never replace my J frame, but if it worked well may find use as a poolside companion during the reunion season.

6. AZ_Quailhunter

AZ_Quailhunter NRA Life Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Arizona
  7. Glock_en_speil

Glock_en_speil

Jan 12, 2011
    642 owner here. Snappy recoil but I added CTC's#405 Lasergrips. In addition to the laser sight this unit adds an "air pocket" at the top of the backstrap that helps reduce felt recoil up to 30%.

8. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    I have a 642, and while I love the gun, I can shoot my G43 and P938 SO MUCH better. Still, I won't get rid of it, and it still gets occasional use. There are some here that have mad skills with the snubs though. My hat's off to them.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Took my LCP and my wife's P3AT to the range a week ago - her P3AT is still 100% after years of beating around in her pocket and never being cleaned.

I've had 1 LCP and 2 Kel Tecs. I like the LCP better, but both Kel tecs were 100% with any ammunition.

janice6 likes this.
  10. Chup

Chup

Feb 11, 2008
    N. Ohio
    A 442 in my pocket is a must every day.

Mr. Pink and Will Beararms like this.
  11. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    the G42 is a POS for many folks too.

I contact Glock and asked about all the "upgrades" from their non-recall.... I have a first run gun.... they said I could send it in for evaluation. of course I have to pay the freight. so basically I bought a kel-tec with Glock's name on it.

12. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

My P3AT has had no issues at all although it hasn't really been shot that much.

Even so, if I was in a fight I would rather have my Ruger KLCR in my hand.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

13. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    I have a couple of 642's that I suspect are destined to stay in the collection forever. Revolvers have a special appeal for me. Not collectors, but carry pieces. My favorite though, is .357 Magnum.

fastbolt likes this.
  14. Dave514

Dave514

Jul 6, 2013
    USSA
    I've shot a Diamondback, S&W Bodyguard, LCP and owned a Sig 238 and Taurus 738. All, at the very least, needed to be very clean and a little wet. Most were finicky about ammo. I decided I'm not a .380 guy. I pocket carry a S&W 638 when the need for something that small arises.

15. My 642 is my favorite CCW gun. I do carry pocket autos most of the time but still belt carry and pocket carry a J-frame. tom.

fastbolt and cowboywannabe like this.
  16. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

Nov 18, 2003
    Houston
    I gave up on the P3AT years ago! It was not very reliable, and between stovepipes, my finger hitting the mag release, and broken hammer springs, I got rid of it.

Mind you, the P32 worked well. Their design just won't support .380 ammo.

17. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    I do not like pocket carry, it is not comfortable for me. that said my 642 has seen almost as much time in my pocket as my LWS.

18. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    Hard to beat a good J-frame, especially an Airweight.

I realize this is a thread resurrected from 6 years ago, but this sub forum doesn't get an over abundance of traffic. ;)

As much as I prefer my several J's for their revolver triggers and added bit of bullet weight (over a .380), I often slip one of my LCP's into a pocket holster. They fit where my J's won't, and once I'd invested some range time to drills and some qual COF's, I found them about as easy to run as.my J's, with less punishment on my index finder's knuckle (rising trigger guard in light J's with +P and Magnum loads).

19. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

Oct 12, 1999
    Parts Unknown
    I can't say enough good about my 442. I had snubs off and on for years but there's a reason they sell so many of these. Wish I had gotten one 20 years ago.

Mr. Pink and SmithietheFox like this.
  20. SmithietheFox

SmithietheFox Stoner63A

Feb 28, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    Sorry about the Kel-Tec experience! I have one of their P32s and mine runs well (on the occasion that I shoot it- kinda like pissing into the wind) but I carry my 442 Airweight almost religiously.