close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

IL castle doctrine?

Discussion in 'Illinois Glockers' Club' started by lonewolf01, Sep 12, 2009.

1. lonewolf01

lonewolf01

Feb 12, 2003
    USA
    Do I have the right to shoot an intruder in my home in this great state? And, not in Cook county.

2. Arr6

Arr6 .com

Apr 20, 2009
    Illinois
    Yes but not when they are fleeing (i.e in the back) and not when they have left your house. There may be a couple more clauses that apply.

But you basically need two things in any state (from what I know)
    1. Be in imminent fear of death or grave bodily harm
    2. Stop a forceable felony

ETA: IL is a 'stand your ground' state.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009

3. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

Jan 24, 2009
    "Crook County", IL
    I have a friend who is a Chicago police officer and he said to make sure that the intruder is in your house and make sure the cops are only able to hear YOUR side of the story!...:supergrin:

4. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Illinois
    Be real careful interpreting the Illinois castle doctrine principles We are 'stand your ground' in theory only. Many prosecutors are so anti-gun that they'll indict you for protecting yourself. Fortunately, our state's attorney is fairly reasonable.

Last year we had a guy in the town north of me who was sleeping as a young man entered his bedroom window. The man retrieved a very old .38special from his nightstand draw (loaded with 30 year old ammunition) and told the guy as he was halfway through to window to get the hell out of his house. The intruder refused so the homeowner, age approximately 60 or so, shot and killed him. The intruder had no weapon but the prosecutor declined to charge him. In MANY MANY counties in Illinois, the homeowner would've been in big trouble.

5. mongo356

mongo356

Aug 18, 2004
    IL
    We had a very similar circumstance in my town a few years ago. No one was charged. Town about 60 mi from St. Louis.