close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

IGB Glock 20 10mm to .40 S&W conversion barrel?

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by northern glock guy, Jul 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. northern glock guy

northern glock guy

Aug 15, 2008
    Hi folks : Being stuck in Canada conversion barrels are a pain to aquire. A retailer here has a few IGB glock 20 10 to 40 available at the low low cost of over 300.00. So before shelling out the bucks I was wondering what the experience has been for the forum members with these barrels? The only reason I'm thinking this way is availability and lead reload shooting. Thanks in advance. :whistling:

2. Yondering

Yondering

Dec 3, 2011
    I have no experience with the IGB barrels, but if your only reasons for buying one are to shoot 40 S&W, and lead bullets, just use your stock barrel. You'll probably find the stock barrel works fine with cast bullets, and shooting 40 in a 10mm Glock is not a problem. (Only in a Glock, not a good idea in other guns.)

3. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Nov 12, 2011
    Idaho
    I have to agree on all counts. I have a KKM 10-40 conversion barrel. I get better accuracy with my 40 loads out of my stock G20SF barrel, than the 10-40 conversion barrel.

On top of that, I get more reliable feed with lead out of all my stock Glock barrels than any of my KKM barrels. Leading is always about the same, very light after a few hundred rounds, which I easily clean out with copper Chore Boy wrapped around a bore brush, right after I get home.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  4. Any Cal.

Any Cal.

Oct 27, 2008
    If you don't have an extended striker, I would give it a go with the stock barrel. I have hundreds of .40 through a 10mm barrel, with no issues at all.

5. I have IGB barrel for my Glock 20. Not a .40 conversion, just 10mm barrel. I's full supported (literally) and "Plasma coated" inside so I can shoot lead bullets without leading.
    I am very happy with this barrel. It was expensive but due to poor offer of aftermarket barrels for Glock here in Europe I had to buy it. But never regretted :cool:
    I don't know about their .40 conversion barrels but with that Plasma coating you'll have no leading issues w. HC bullets hard enough (21-23 BNH). This coating is worth few $ more.

6. pasky2112

pasky2112 Senior Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Brevard, FL
    Do you shoot jacketed bullets in .40 S&W out of your stock G20 bbl also?

7. Yondering

Yondering

Dec 3, 2011
  8. Meathead9

Meathead9

Aug 23, 2009
    The PRK
    I've been meaning to ask you guys about shooting 40 through a stock G20 barrel. Since it would ONLY be headspaced on the extractor, what is the possibility of rounds being fired while not flush with the breachface? If that happened frequently, wouldn't that batter the breachface pretty badly? Someone recently mentioned the possibility of gas cutting around the primer as well during a situation like that. Is there any merit to any of that?

9. Any Cal.

Any Cal.

Oct 27, 2008
    I don't think so. There isn't much slop behind the extractor, you can see that when you put a case in it. There isn't anymore reason for gas cutting around the primer than there is in a revo, which has clearance between the case head and breechface. You would need a LOT of clearance there, like letting the primer back halfway out. Battering? Revos don't. Even if the case headspaces on the mouth, it isn't likely to be hard up against the breechface until it is over length, at which point it would begin to hold the slide out of battery. The trim-to length is where the case headspaces on the case mouth, and is against the extractor, the max length is when the case headspaces on the case mouth and is touching the breechface (in theory...)

10. Yondering

Yondering

Dec 3, 2011
    I can't imagine how that would be true. Why would slightly extra headspace allow gas around the primer? Unless you're using nuke loads that blow the primer pockets, that stays sealed.

I mentioned recently some gas cutting due to cracked WLP primers, which Winchester replaced for me. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?

11. Meathead9

Meathead9

Aug 23, 2009
    The PRK
    No, it was a couple people on Brian Enos & Pistol Training forums. I mentioned that I knew of a few guys that shoot 40 & 40 loaded to 10mm Specs/OAL in a standard G20 barrel. I've never personally done it, so I wasn't able to give any insight. I'll have to go back and see exactly what they said.

12. I get free .40 at work. I run 'em through my 29 and 20 with no problems. Range only of course.

13. Meathead9

Meathead9

Aug 23, 2009
    The PRK
    Here are a couple of the comments that were made.

14. dm1906

dm1906 Retired SO

Sep 7, 2010
    PRK (Kalifornia)
    I've heard/read of a lot of warnings and theoretical failures that could happen if you shoot .40 in a 10mm barrel (Glock, OEM or aftermarket). I have yet to hear/see any of them actually happening. I shoot a lot of .40 through all of mine and never a problem. Actually, it's been no less reliable than shooting 10's, with about the same number of each through them. There are considerations, such as fouling of the chamber, but it's only a problem if you ignore it. Yeah, I suppose could put an eye out with that, and running with scissors will kill you dead.

15. Any Cal.

Any Cal.

Oct 27, 2008
    Accuracy is identical, the bullet is in the same place since the OAL is the same. Why would it change?

If the case blew past the extractor, it means the extractor is broken and you are screwed anyway.

I figure the short case coupled with the large slide opening and extra room in the chamber is theoretically more reliable.

Take the slide off and play with an empty case, see what happens. Use .40 OAL and try to induce a malf. See if you can fire a round ahead of the extractor with the slide in battery. See how many recorded malfs there are that involve a round feeding ahead of the extractor.

The length of exposed bullet using .40 brass to 1.260 OAL is the same as a 9mm. It is almost like the .40 was conceived first, then they added the longer case, ala .44 special/mag.

-Edit- Found your post, I'll take the heat for you...:)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  16. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Nov 12, 2011
    Idaho
    I wonder in everyday shooting how many .45ACP, .40S&W, 10mm, 9mm, et al. rounds end up headspacing on the extractor? I mean, a case that is a little under length is going to end up headspaced on the extractor anyway.

I don't load to .40S&W length anymore anyway. I load all my 40 cases to 10mm length and loads. Doesn't seem to matter which barrel I choose to shoot these out of stock G20 or the KKM 10-40 conversion, they both shoot them reliably, although the slight edge goes to the stock 10mm barrel for accuracy, mainly because of the less than perfect lockup due to a less than perfect fit job I did on the KKM barrel.

I did find the limit of the freebore on my KKM 10-40 conversion barrel, it was throated to allow me to load all the way to 1.260" and not a mil longer.

17. Meathead9

Meathead9

Aug 23, 2009
    The PRK
    I just saw your post over on BE, thanks for chiming in. So many expert theories get regurgitated as fact by people who have never done it, so it's good to see the myths get busted.

Thanks Willy. Is it also safe to say that you haven't had any issues with seating depth using 40 brass @ 1.26" OAL? Also, do the standard SPP ignite properly, or are you using SPM/SRP?

18. Yondering

Yondering

Dec 3, 2011
    1.26" OAL in 40 brass works well with all 180+ jacketed bullets, and some lighter bullets too, especially hollow points. It doesn't work well with a lot of cast bullets, because of the location of the lube groove.
    I've not had any issues with standard SP primers.

Those comments from the BE forum sound like people who have no experience with it; lots of "what if" scenarios with no basis in reality. There are just too many people out there who can't think outside the box, or outside the reloading manual.

19. Any Cal.

Any Cal.

Oct 27, 2008
    Since primers were mentioned, I was getting 10-15% misfires w/ small rifle primers using .40 brass and stock firing system. No issues w/ small pistol. If somebody is getting better results, please let me know, or tell me what would need to be changed. I wonder if the firing pin hit may be softer since the case mouth is not against the barrel, but don't know if the stock system could ignite them reliably even if they were.

20. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Nov 12, 2011
    Idaho
    I have been using up a bunch of SPM primers I've had for a long time, mainly AA#9, BD and LS. When those are gone I will try regular SP's. I think the only powder above that may not like the SP might be BD, #9 and LS seem pretty well behaved. I might be wrong about this, but I was under the impression SRP and SPM were identical primers.

I have not had any problems loading to 1.260" with 40 cases. I am loading PD 180 JFP and 180 XTP's. They work great, feed 100% reliably (for the KKM conversion barrel, I do have to assure the OAL is not over 1.260, or it will fail to go into battery) and they shoot identical (as least as well as I can shoot) to 10mm cased rounds.

I would never use these rounds for anything serious, Starline 10mm cases aren't that expensive, but when you have buckets full of spent 40 brass, it sure makes sense for practice ammo.