close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

IFAK (med kit)

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by FireForged, Jun 21, 2012.

1. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    I decided to down size my med kit into this Condor break-away med bag. I am very pleased with it and purchased the bag from LAPoliceGear. Pics below

Seams, pouches, pockets, loops, velcro, rings, snaps, buckle, webing, dual zippers- all seem top tier as far as quailty and construction.

The break-away panel attaches to a vest or any base with molle style loops. When you need the kit you release the strap and just pull it off. The panel stays afixed to the vest. It is very stable on a vest and seems nearly impossible to accidentally come off. I give it a nifty 5 stars.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  2. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Oct 16, 2008
    Missouri, East of KC
    Good man - I see you keep a Godiva chocolate in there.

No eye wash?

3. FireForged

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    I have a bottle I use for wound irrigation but it just doesnt fit. I do need something,.. what would you suggest? It would have to be small.

4. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Oct 16, 2008
    Missouri, East of KC
    I am not up to date on the latest stuff, my full-sized trama kit had to be dumped - everything expired, and there was leakage.

Perhaps some liquid tears, of eye lubricant from a contact lense supply shelf?

5. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    Just a thought that you might want to really up the number of standard band-aids that you carry. My experience in post huricane clean up is that you could make a good living selling all sizes of stick on bandages. Same goes for walking long distance for the first time, it chews up the feet and you lose a toe nail or two.

6. humanguerrilla

humanguerrilla

Jul 25, 2006
    the woods
    Condor is hardly top tier quality. I'd go ahead and replace the zipper pulls with paracord loops or something if you intend to actually use, move, or even look at it. The cheap plastic keepers are the first thing to go and are annoying, cracking and coming apart. The quality of their pouches vary but watch the stitching and zippers.

7. thetoastmaster

thetoastmaster NOT a sheepdog!

I am much more concerned with what is in the pouch than the quality of the pouch itself. For most people and applications, the Southeast Asian low-bit pouches are fine. Most of the time, it will be sitting in a closet or on a shelf anyway. You don't need a Paraclete or London Bridge pouch for that. Spend the money on training and good gear, like CAT tourniquets, NAR decompression needles, and Hemcon dressings (if you really want to spend some cash).

8. thetoastmaster

I agree, generally. I'm not a fan of Condor, Voodoo, or the rest of the CtD-level of pouches; but pouches generally see less wear than pack, for instance.

I have an off-brand (probably Condor) zippered MOLLE pouch on my school bag that I used to keep my stethoscope in. After two years of everyday use, the cord zipper pulls are frayed; and the paint is worn off the brass drain grommet. Other that that, it's fine.

Generally, for off the shelf gear, I set my lower threshold with Camelbak for bags and Tactical Tailor for pouches knowing that there is a lot higher-end gear available.

9. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    What do you have in the kit? Kinda hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like you're lacking any sort of trauma capability.

10. FireForged

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
  11. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    I'd loose the finger splint and 50% of the bandages, Q-tips and assorted goo and add a real tourniquet, an Israeli bandage a suture kit and a small tin or bag with a few OTC's.

ETA oh and moleskin..

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  12. thetoastmaster

For an on-person IFAK, I'd concentrate on treating hemorrhage, pneumothorax, and airway maintenance. Move everything else to your larger medic bag (if applicable) or boo boo kit. For an IFAK, I don't want to claw through the moleskin and band-aids to get to the tourniquet.

Just my two cents.

13. syntaxerrorsix

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    I pretty much agree with this, it looks like the OP is trying to get the best of both worlds. For me that's self treatable conditions so I didn't consider airway maintenance, if I need a tube it's likely someone else will be installing it. Correctly packing the kit eliminates clawing though anything in my opinion.

14. thetoastmaster

I keep an NPA and OPA in my kit so that someone else can use it on me. If I'm awake and fighting, I won't need it. My attitude regarding the IFAK is that it's not to share. Everyone has to have their own, know how to use its contents, and keep them handy. As a pre-hospital caregiver, I am going to try to treat folks with their own gear to take the pressure off my own limited supplies. Yes, have a properly-sized OPA and NPA, and a packet or two of surgical lubricant, for your own sake and for the person treating you.

In my experience, "best of both worlds" isn't; but YMMV. I keep all my bbo boo and snivel meds in a GI-issue box in my pack, and an IFAK on my LBV. I'll be putting together the equivalent on an advanced M3 bag this summer, when the finances come together; but that's beyond the scope of this discussion.

15. syntaxerrorsix

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    I didn't mean to say that I don't have the equipment I just don't pack it in my primary kit. It rides in my truck.

[​IMG]

This is what I keep available for immediate access in my GHB.

[​IMG]

I agree, the kit isn't to share but I also feel that the chances of anyone else in the civilian world having there own kit is extremely unlikely.

16. thetoastmaster

In a WCS, folks that <i>need</i> gear from an IFAK, but don't have their own, will likely get a black tag. That's a hard fact of life. Our resources are limited. I have enough for everyone in my family, maybe.

Of course in a grid-down scenario it's all moot anyway. What we're talking about is stabilization until we can call in an ambulance or air evac.

There is a lot of good information on the web about IKAK/blowout kits; and we're getting to the point where there is no excuse not to have two or three. If cost is an issue, hold off on the next gun purchase and get some good advanced first aid supplies.

In my particular group I've run into this. It's hard to get folks to spend the money of QuikClot, Israeli dressings, and CAT tourniquets; but they think constantly of building another AR. It makes me want to :brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

Sorry for the rant.

To anyone that is putting together IFAK's, kudos. I salute you. :patriot::cheers:

17. syntaxerrorsix

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    :rofl:

Very true. For some prep stops at the gun.

18. FireForged

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    Thanks for all the responses..I'm gonna delete some items and add some as well.

19. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)

Well, the most likely use for an IFAK, is treating someone else, outside of a a "tactical" scenario.

On the civilian side, I've used my IFAK a couple of times, and never on myself. I also have an aid bag, but it seems to always be further away than the IFAK, so it gets the least use.