Glock Talk banner

If your Glock works, this isn't the thread for you.....

31K views 209 replies 57 participants last post by  Sid Nitzerglobin 
#1 · (Edited)
So with all the argumentative types as of late, most of the threads have been locked up. I don't care if you have a Glock that runs 100% (so do I), I don't care if you think I work for someone else that is a competitor of Glock, and I don't care if your feelings are hurt because other people's pistols are malfunctioning and you LOVE Glock because that's all you own.

I own a couple of Glocks, M&P's, rifles, a nice vintage BHP, etc. I have been shooting Glocks since 2008, and I have never once had ANY issue with ANY of my Glocks, until I purchased my Gen 4 G19 a few months ago.

The purpose of this thread is for those having issues to share information, that is all. This is not a debate, or a thread for people who shoot 100 rounds per year, or who can't even grip their pistol the correct way when they shoot. Once upon a time this was a great forum where people shared information and had intellectual conversations on their "differences of opinion", I can't say that has been much of the trend the last couple of years.

So enough with the BS, let's get down to it.

I own a G19 Gen 4, Serial number SVY***. It now has over 3,000 rounds through it since I purchased it a little over 3 months ago. After almost 2,000 rounds through the gun, I started getting pelted in the face with brass, brass would roll out of the ejection port and onto my right arm, and the brass started ejecting basically wherever it wants to. Left, Right, forward, back over me, back to my face, etc, etc.

I was pretty sure my pistol was good to go with the amount of rounds and no issues, and no sooner than I sell my "backup" G19 (Gen 3 G19, I know mistake on my part) to a family member who was in need of a new pistol, do the issues present themselves.

I use this G19 for CCW, Training classes, IDPA, local training nights, and just regular range trips on my own. It is not a safe queen. All of the rounds through this pistol have been through the aforementioned environments.

The changes I made to the pistol were the sights, the Ghost Rocket, G17 smooth trigger bar, Vickers mag release, and vickers slide stop. I also replaced the factory springs with Wolff factory weight springs, and the trigger spring is a 6# extra power spring. I basically do the same modifications to all my Glocks. I also did some grip work on it recently.

I called Glock last week and spoke to a tech and explained my issues, he sighed and asked me to send the gun in without us even discussing anything further, I was told my complaints are not new. I told him I would like to try and diagnose the issues I am having before just sending the pistol in, being that I am a certified Armorer he could send me the parts with no issue, and they were free of charge. We discussed what the "updated" parts were on my pistol, and I did already have the "043" RSA, and the "30274" ejector. When it was all said and done, he said I would get a new extractor, and a new RSA (because of the round count) and we would go from there. Well today the "new" parts arrived from Smyrna, and the extractor is the same "dipped" version as the one my pistol came with, and we already know I had the updated RSA, so I just got a newer one, as periodic maintenance.

I will be hitting the range tomorrow and getting some ammo down range, probably 200 rounds or so to see what happens with the new parts. Being that they're the same parts, "I" expect 1 of 2 things to happen:

1) The gun will shoot and eject exactly as it has been lately
2) It will be better for a while then go back to it's old ways

I am awaiting getting my hands on the Apex part, and I did put an order in with Glockparts.Com because on another forum someone shared that their new 9MM LCI extractors were non dipped, so hopefully I get an HRED setup from them along with a non dipped extractor to try out.

Edit to add: Extractor that came on the pistol is stamped with a "4" and the new replacement from Glock has a "2" stamped on it.

I have taken some pictures for the sake of illustration that I would like to share, I'm not saying anything is right or wrong, just posting pics.

Below are some pics of my old extractor after over 3K rounds through the gun:

Picture showing the old RSA I had which is the updated one:

Picture of the new "dipped" extractor installed in the gun:

And picture of the new RSA:

Thanks
FM

See less See more
#152 ·
Fire Medic, thanks for the extractor help.
Went to the range today with 100 rds and the gun performed much better with the new extractor. Only one round brushed the right side of my head and one ejection was at 5 oclock that i noticed. There was also a jam with tula ammo with the 33 round magazine so I wont necessarily blame the gun on that one. But thanks. I fully endorse the non dipped non chamber indicator extractor.

Oddly enough, The non chamber indicator extractor makes it much easier for me to tell if there was a round chambered or not haha silly glock.
No sweat brother glad I could help.

I put another 200 rounds through mine this week with no BTF issues, and I was testing my new SL threaded barrel, waiting for my 9MM Osprey to get out of ATF jail, but it's gonna be a fw months still.

:wavey:

#153 · (Edited)
I just realized I performed 1 other item before this last BTF test.

Round count was at 200 and I detail cleaned the grooves in the slide where the slide rails travel. I didn't care if I removed any copper lube, I just wanted them spotless. Needless to say, a lot of black came off on the cleaning patch.

I wonder if it was buildup from the new top finish Glock is using on the slides. Could that be slowing the slides down enough for BTF?
I've now got 300 rounds down range with no BTF. The last 100 rounds is the 19 all original except for the 2005 G17 extractor and slide groove detail cleaning. Even shot 50 rounds of Fed Champion with no BTF.

#154 ·
I just realized I performed 1 other item before this last BTF test.

Round count was at 200 and I detail cleaned the grooves in the slide where the slide rails travel. I didn't care if I removed any copper lube, I just wanted them spotless. Needless to say, a lot of black came off on the cleaning patch.

I wonder if it was buildup from the new top finish Glock is using on the slides. Could that be slowing the slides down enough for BTF?
I just woke my neighbor up laughing ...

Is BTF "brass to face" lmfao I haven't had a belly laugh like this in a long time

#155 ·
I bought one Glock G19 and went through two GEN3's (one a replacement gun by Glock) in the "P" range. Both could not be fixed. Glock replaced each one with GEN4 G19's. First one worked for 800 rounds before problems returned. Second replacement was picked for me by Mr. Mike Murphy. Promised it would work.
It did for 2000 rounds and started back. Tried the HRED, non-dipped old style extractor, two LWD extractors, all the fixes everyone has tried. Between replacement parts, ammo spent trying to feel confident in the gun, the shipping hassles, amd so on I finally gave up.
I really liked the smaller grip of the GEN4. It was super accurate. Glock really tried to bend over backwards to get me ne that would work and stay working. Some of the fixes helped for awhile. Others made it worse. It is not just one problems.
Rather they say it or not they have tried 4-5 different RSA's, different ejectors, now different extractors. Some guns are fixed by one of these changes or aftermarket parts. If Glock had solved the problem they would be sending out a specific fix for each gun. The fact they are still working on a solution shows:
a.) They don't know what the problem is.
b.) They know but it is too expensive to fix whatever the change in frame/slide or whatever is. So they are throwing parts at it.
c.) Or their are multiple problems which are unique to each gun and require changing different parts on different guns to get it right.
d.) Fact some of the guns simply can't be made right and are replaced. If they cant make them right an they replace them they either know they are really messed up and can't be fixed. Or they can't figure out how to fix it.
By the time you spend money in parts, ammo, etc. trying to fix it you're starting to get close to the price of the gun.
Many of us just got sick of it. Randy Lee warned his extractor would not solve all the Glocks problems. Proably most. But as at least one poster said it didn't work for him. So you can keep dumping money into the gun, get replacement guns, and so on. And not be sure ar a certain round count it will poop out. or you can:
a.) Get a S&W M&P 9c. Add the APEX trigger and have one of the finest carry guns made. Which I did. IF you look around you can find the M&P 9c's for $465.00. The trigger kit for $80.00. And still come in lower than a new GEN4 G19.
b.) Get a Walther PPQ which has a fine trigger out of the box. And mine has over 3000 trouble free rounds through it. M&P about the same.
c.) Look for a GEN 2 Or early model GEN 3 Glock and be good to go.
All are better answers than the current mess.

#156 ·
a.) Get a S&W M&P 9c. Add the APEX trigger and have one of the finest carry guns made. Which I did. IF you look around you can find the M&P 9c's for $465.00. The trigger kit for $80.00. And still come in lower than a new GEN4 G19.
I for one will not touch another M&P in 9MM until they sort out the issues they're having. I LOVE my (2) M&P 45 pistols and they are super accurate, but the 9MM I use to own was giving me issues, I sent it to smith and they just returned it with a note saying "in spec" they did nothing to fix the issues I was having. There's a reason you see so many for sale, but of course the sellers always say they're in perfect condition. Right now at this point in time there are (2) 9MM pistols I would not buy used (manufactured in the last (2) years):
1) Glock
2) S&W M&P

And I would have to think heavily about adding a new one in 9MM as well, which I have not.

Are all of them problematic, nope. But the issues exist, and after having a sample of (1) from each manufacturer in the 9MM caliber with issues, it's enough for me to sit back and watch what happens.

#157 ·
I for one will not touch another M&P in 9MM until they sort out the issues they're having. I LOVE my (2) M&P 45 pistols and they are super accurate, but the 9MM I use to own was giving me issues, I sent it to smith and they just returned it with a note saying "in spec" they did nothing to fix the issues I was having. There's a reason you see so many for sale, but of course the sellers always say they're in perfect condition. Right now at this point in time there are (2) 9MM pistols I would not buy used (manufactured in the last (2) years):
1) Glock
2) S&W M&P

And I would have to think heavily about adding a new one in 9MM as well, which I have not.

Are all of them problematic, nope. But the issues exist, and after having a sample of (1) from each manufacturer in the 9MM caliber with issues, it's enough for me to sit back and watch what happens.
At least the M&P's "problems" don't launch flaming hot shells at their owners face.

#158 · (Edited)
What specific M&P problems?
Denis

Not looking for an argument, just curious.
My gunsmith owed me some money, I had a Gen 4 17 ordered on it, the talk here & no idea on deliverability killed the Gen 4 for me, picking up a .40 M&P to go with the one I already have tomorrow.
The one I have (about a year old) has been fine.
What am I missing? :)

#160 ·
TNP,
If that was a response to me, I read part of the thread you referenced, not going to read all the pages. :)
Been following this one & it seems there's no guaranteed fix.

I'm no Glock hater, I have five 17s. Earliest 1988, latest three Third Gens were 2009.
Been through the armorer's class, carried them on duty, and privately.

The nice thing about Glocks in the past is that it WASN'T necessary to file on this, swap that out, replace the other thing, return to the factory, and fiddle with a mix of parts, to get them to function.

In the past, you could buy one, swap the plastic sights for steel, and that's it. They worked. No fiddling, no chasing down parts, no mix & match. No brass in the face.
Didn't have to keep swapping extractors around till one worked.

I'll keep my five 17s, they're fine.
For the moment, it appears the Gen 4s are too erratic for me to risk my money on.
Hence the M&P. I was owed money, tried for a Gen 4 Glock on it, no availability, many reports of problems, Gen 4 outa the picture for now.
Maybe re-visit in a year or so, but right now I'm just not willing to put that much effort & frustration into a Gen 4.

A 1911, I'll chase down the right parts & spend another grand on after the buy.
A Glock I simply won't. :)
Didn't used to need to do anything but sights & a Glock sock to be perfectly viable.
Denis

#161 ·
TNP,
If that was a response to me, I read part of the thread you referenced, not going to read all the pages. :)
Been following this one & it seems there's no guaranteed fix.
There often isn't a guaranteed fix.

I had a faulty 30SF. Glock themselves couldn't fix it.

I wouldn't be surprised AT ALL if the same were true of the Gen4s, especially in 9x19.

#166 · (Edited)
That's a 43 page thread that started 2.5 years ago.

Can you summarize and keep it current?
So you don't want to read it but want me to summarize it? :whistling:

Didn't know we had a timeframe of how old of a thread we can link from date of inception, lol.

The thread was started 2.5 years ago, yes, but there are still problematic guns, hence the recent posts still.

#167 ·
So you don't want to read it but want me to summarize it? :whistling:
43 pages? You sure are correct, I definitely do not want to read it.

If you have no actual knowledge on the topic, just say so. I thought that you might know something, but I'm wrong plenty.

#168 ·
43 pages? You sure are correct, I definitely do not want to read it.

If you have no actual knowledge on the topic, just say so. I thought that you might know something, but I'm wrong plenty.
I'm not going to explain 43 pages of a thread because you try to upset me by saying I have no knowledge on something. you can take the jedi mind tricks somewhere else. You can also try google if my direct link of the information you're looking for is not good enough for you. :wavey:

#169 · (Edited)
I'm not going to explain 43 pages of a thread because you try to upset me by saying I have no knowledge on something. you can take the jedi mind tricks somewhere else. You can also try google if my direct link of the information you're looking for is not good enough for you. :wavey:
I know, what was I thinking? Going to Glock Talk for information about guns...how silly and lazy of me. :upeyes:

#170 ·
I know, what was I thinking? Going to Glock Talk for information about guns...how silly and lazy of me. :upeyes:
And that fixes the brass to the face issue how? :whistling:

#171 · (Edited)
Since you seem to have forgotten: Here was the question you responded to.

Yep.
So- what are the problems with the M&Ps?
Denis
Also, you specifically stated you would not buy a used, recent M&P, which indicates that you do actually have knowledge regarding their supposed problems.

But I guess you aren't helpful enough to share that information straight up, so I"ll be on my way.

#172 ·
Since you seem to have forgotten: Here was the question you responded to.

Also, you specifically stated you would not buy a used, recent M&P, which indicates that you do actually have knowledge regarding their supposed problems.

But I guess you aren't helpful enough to share that information straight up, so I"ll be on my way.
If you keep reading he was satisfied with the thread I linked, and even thanked me for it, VS trying to incite an argument because he's too lazy to read.

This is a thread about issues with Glocks, and I do not wish to de-rail the thread or have it locked because it strays off topic into covering issues with another platform that is NOT a Glock.

So keep the guilt trip, if you had even typed something into google it would have been figured out already.......

How much more than a "direct" link to 43 pages covering the topic do you want.....geesh.......:wow:

#173 ·
Well anyhow, moving on. My certified Glock armorer got in the two 30274 ejectors and what I thought were going to be non-dipped extractors. Well the extractors were dipped and only one of the ejectors actually helped. I switched a 30274 into my 95% functioning 19 and it was spitting brass every which way. That one will keep it's 336 ejector and LW 9mm extractor. My once "turd" FDE 19 is now ejecting at 3:00 with authority. That one has the 30274 ejector and 40cal LW extractor.

I now have a fully functioning gun. For now anyway.

#175 ·
Fire Medic,
the Compact versions of the M&P's don't have the early unlocking issues of the full sized 9mm models. Mines very accurate and been reliable through thousands of rounds.
This thread is about Glock problems and how to resolve some of them. It's supposed to be a source of help and suggestions, shared experiences good and not so good.

There are dozens, hundreds, maybe thousands of forum threads on who knows how many forums arguing about the relative merits/deficiencies/issues with the M&P's as opposed to the Glocks. We don't need another one here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.