Glock Talk banner

If your Glock works, this isn't the thread for you.....

31K views 209 replies 57 participants last post by  Sid Nitzerglobin 
#1 · (Edited)
So with all the argumentative types as of late, most of the threads have been locked up. I don't care if you have a Glock that runs 100% (so do I), I don't care if you think I work for someone else that is a competitor of Glock, and I don't care if your feelings are hurt because other people's pistols are malfunctioning and you LOVE Glock because that's all you own.

I own a couple of Glocks, M&P's, rifles, a nice vintage BHP, etc. I have been shooting Glocks since 2008, and I have never once had ANY issue with ANY of my Glocks, until I purchased my Gen 4 G19 a few months ago.

The purpose of this thread is for those having issues to share information, that is all. This is not a debate, or a thread for people who shoot 100 rounds per year, or who can't even grip their pistol the correct way when they shoot. Once upon a time this was a great forum where people shared information and had intellectual conversations on their "differences of opinion", I can't say that has been much of the trend the last couple of years.

So enough with the BS, let's get down to it.

I own a G19 Gen 4, Serial number SVY***. It now has over 3,000 rounds through it since I purchased it a little over 3 months ago. After almost 2,000 rounds through the gun, I started getting pelted in the face with brass, brass would roll out of the ejection port and onto my right arm, and the brass started ejecting basically wherever it wants to. Left, Right, forward, back over me, back to my face, etc, etc.

I was pretty sure my pistol was good to go with the amount of rounds and no issues, and no sooner than I sell my "backup" G19 (Gen 3 G19, I know mistake on my part) to a family member who was in need of a new pistol, do the issues present themselves.

I use this G19 for CCW, Training classes, IDPA, local training nights, and just regular range trips on my own. It is not a safe queen. All of the rounds through this pistol have been through the aforementioned environments.

The changes I made to the pistol were the sights, the Ghost Rocket, G17 smooth trigger bar, Vickers mag release, and vickers slide stop. I also replaced the factory springs with Wolff factory weight springs, and the trigger spring is a 6# extra power spring. I basically do the same modifications to all my Glocks. I also did some grip work on it recently.

I called Glock last week and spoke to a tech and explained my issues, he sighed and asked me to send the gun in without us even discussing anything further, I was told my complaints are not new. I told him I would like to try and diagnose the issues I am having before just sending the pistol in, being that I am a certified Armorer he could send me the parts with no issue, and they were free of charge. We discussed what the "updated" parts were on my pistol, and I did already have the "043" RSA, and the "30274" ejector. When it was all said and done, he said I would get a new extractor, and a new RSA (because of the round count) and we would go from there. Well today the "new" parts arrived from Smyrna, and the extractor is the same "dipped" version as the one my pistol came with, and we already know I had the updated RSA, so I just got a newer one, as periodic maintenance.

I will be hitting the range tomorrow and getting some ammo down range, probably 200 rounds or so to see what happens with the new parts. Being that they're the same parts, "I" expect 1 of 2 things to happen:

1) The gun will shoot and eject exactly as it has been lately
2) It will be better for a while then go back to it's old ways

I am awaiting getting my hands on the Apex part, and I did put an order in with Glockparts.Com because on another forum someone shared that their new 9MM LCI extractors were non dipped, so hopefully I get an HRED setup from them along with a non dipped extractor to try out.

Edit to add: Extractor that came on the pistol is stamped with a "4" and the new replacement from Glock has a "2" stamped on it.

I have taken some pictures for the sake of illustration that I would like to share, I'm not saying anything is right or wrong, just posting pics.

Below are some pics of my old extractor after over 3K rounds through the gun:

Picture showing the old RSA I had which is the updated one:

Picture of the new "dipped" extractor installed in the gun:

And picture of the new RSA:

Thanks
FM

See less See more
#103 ·
Fire medic - good to hear you have some improvement.

A couple of posts have suggested that the real issue, or one of several issues may be the slide itself. Of all the fixes that have been offered, from various different springs to a couple of changes in other parts all the way to providing a completely different gun I do not think I have heard of anyone having just the slide itself replaced. Is that because the problem might actually be one of several different parts or are several different parts being used to deal with a slide tolerance issue. If they replaced a slide to solve the problem would there be an onslaught of others requesting or demanding that slides be replaced?

And I asked in another thread some days back, has anyone encountered the issue with a Glock made in the US? I know the question was posed here also and I realize there are few Glocks manufactured here in the US in circulation here. Any reports from somewhere that only has US Glocks or in those places are the Glocks not in civilian hands or not shot frequently?

#104 ·

A couple of posts have suggested that the real issue, or one of several issues may be the slide itself. Of all the fixes that have been offered, from various different springs to a couple of changes in other parts all the way to providing a completely different gun I do not think I have heard of anyone having just the slide itself replaced. Is that because the problem might actually be one of several different parts or are several different parts being used to deal with a slide tolerance issue. If they replaced a slide to solve the problem would there be an onslaught of others requesting or demanding that slides be replaced?

And I asked in another thread some days back, has anyone encountered the issue with a Glock made in the US? I know the question was posed here also and I realize there are few Glocks manufactured here in the US in circulation here. Any reports from somewhere that only has US Glocks or in those places are the Glocks not in civilian hands or not shot frequently?
I have considered this as the problem before...well slide/frame interactions. What if, due to quality control or whatever, things are being caught up in tolerances that are too loose or bound up in tolerances too tight? Friction would inhibit the slide from having enough energy displaced in its movement backwards. This is kind of supported by the instances where heavier/hotter ammo (more energy) ejects much better than the lighter/weaker stuff. No doubt that the ejector geometry is also a factor. But, under conditions of being fired, what if? I dunno. I maybe completely wrong.

If I am right, however, Glock would probably know it. And they know how disastrous it would be to have to fix an issue like that.

If Glock does not make the gen 5 run like a rolex as well as admit to their mistakes in a more vocal, apologetic way, then this will be my first and last Glock.

Sorry...I feel I am plaguing everyone with a perpetual rant.

#105 ·
"The changes I made to the pistol were the sights, the Ghost Rocket, G17 smooth trigger bar, Vickers mag release, and vickers slide stop. I also replaced the factory springs with Wolff factory weight springs, and the trigger spring is a 6# extra power spring. I basically do the same modifications to all my Glocks. I also did some grip work on it recently."

After changing or monkeying with just about everything that makes a Glock function, function in a time specific cycle, function within a certain velocity window, and otherwise monkeyed up everything with your favorite parts, a question:

What does this have to do with whether a new Glock works or not?

Kee'Rhrist, all you have to do to stop an M1 Carbine from working perfectly is install a set of Wolf springs in it. Almost a guarantee it will quit running. And a carbine is almost moron proof.
Please explain to me, how any of the mods I have done besides the 6# trigger spring and Ghost Rocket, throw anything off? The rest of the springs were replaced with Wolff springs that have the same weight specs as the stock. How does a magazine release that is aftermarket affect anything? How does swapping sights change anything but the sight picture? If you don't like what I do to "MY" gun that's fine, but take a second or two to educate yourself, before your rear end replaces your mouth on the internet and diarrhea spews everywhere.

The purpose of listing what "I" did to "MY" gun was because most of the time that's what people ask, what did you do to the gun. Also, if you would comprehend what you read, I said all of my Glocks have the same modifications, so that eliminates the parts as a variable here with the issues I am having, because this one Glock is the ONLY one I have ever owned that has given me these issues.

:wavey:

#106 ·

Thanks brother, and I agree with the thought that some slides could be out of spec and have touched on that myself as well. If the stacking of tolerances can throw other parts out of spec, why would a slide be any different? Just my opinion anyways, but what the heck do I know.

I will be shooting the G19 again later this week, so we will see if she continues to perform well like she did last week when I swapped in the HRED and the non dipped extractor.

#107 ·
Glock will send the 30274 ejector to an armorer if you can find one locally. Otherwise, you can get them as well as the non lci bearing from glockparts.com . I don't think you can order just the ejector yet. You will have to order the entire trigger housing and remove the ejector.
Molor, I do not know if they will mail order them but GT Distributors sells the ejectors by part number over the counter. Picked up some 28926 ejectors last month while in the Austin store.

#108 · (Edited)
For the new ejectors, you can get them in the newest Gen4 trigger housings. For the Gen4 9mm trigger housing with 30274 ejector, MidwayUSA.com, LoneWolfDist.com, and glockparts.com have all been confirmed to have them. For the Gen4 .40 trigger housing with 28926 ejector, the only retailer that I know for sure has them is glockparts.com. The Gen4 9mm trigger housing with 30274 ejector is Glock manufacturer part number 30275, and the Gen4 .40 trigger housing with 28926 ejector is Glock manufacturer part number 28927.

Of course you cannot use a Gen4 trigger housing in a Gen3, so if you have a Gen3 you have to remove the Gen3 trigger housing from the frame, pull the ejectors out of each trigger housing with a pair of pliers, then insert the new ejector into the Gen3 trigger housing and reinstall the Gen3 trigger housing into the frame. I wrapped the teeth of the pliers in masking tape when I did it to ensure the tip of the ejector wouldn't get gouged or scratched up. Here's a thread talking a little more about how to do it:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18115775#post18115775

#109 ·
I truly am wondering if my use of ONLY cheap steel case ammo has anything to do with the good performance of my Gen 4 G17. I had never shot one round of the stuff prior to purchasing this particular pistol, and this pistol has not yet seen one round of brass.

Perhaps the stock extractor gets a better purchase/hold on the steel? 2200 rounds now.

Just purchased a couple hundred Blazer Brass, which I will shoot up this morning. Hopefully no BTF!

I'm now in the "curious to see if mine will fail camp", can I stay?

#110 ·
I truly am wondering if my use of ONLY cheap steel case ammo has anything to do with the good performance of my Gen 4 G17. I had never shot one round of the stuff prior to purchasing this particular pistol, and this pistol has not yet seen one round of brass.

Perhaps the stock extractor gets a better purchase/hold on the steel? 2200 rounds now.

Just purchased a couple hundred Blazer Brass, which I will shoot up this morning. Hopefully no BTF!

I'm now in the "curious to see if mine will fail camp", can I stay?
Let us know how it functions brother, would definitely be interesting if you did get BTF with the blazer brass but haven't with the steel case stuff.

I might be off my rocker here, but if part of the problem truly is some of the extractor wearing prematurely and you have that many rounds of steel case through yours, there shouldn't be any issues. If your gun did have a weak extractor I think the steel would have made any issue show up sooner than usual.

#111 ·
Hello guys first time poster here as you can see. I wanted to post here instead of starting a new thread. I just got this new Gen 3 17 FDE. Serial # THW*** , With a Sept 2012 test fire date. I got brass to the face right out of the box (Its ran 100 % with the 250 rounds through it) and i've been pretty bummed about it. I tried doing my homework on the forum and tried removing some material off the ejector shoulder as advised the the sticky at the top of the board. That made things worse. I have a Gen 4 ejector on the way from LW plus a 40cal extractor from them on the way. From what i have read the ejector is a good place to start. And i thought trying the 40 extractor couldn't hurt. I know they have meet with mixed results as well. I've also kept the slide locked back to see if i can get a shorter set on the recoil spring. Next step is to find an old Gen 3 Non LCI extractor i think? I thought about sending it back but i want to leave that as a last resort. I really wanna be a glock fanboy but they are making it hard lol. So i need a little moral support to work through my issues as well :supergrin:

#112 · (Edited)
Well I installed the Apex extractor and it seemed to hold a dummy round while I had it apart. I also hand cycled a few dummy rounds and they all ran through fine.

I then took the G19 out with 4 boxes of new factory 9mm ammo. 2 boxes of Federal Champion and 2 boxes of Winchester White box. All 115gr fmj ammo.

Guess what...the Apex part made NO DIFFERENCE at all!

Yes, I still got 2-3 pieces of brass to the face per 15rd magazine. Literally no difference over the factory dip MIM extractor at all.

Disgusted...I just stopped shooting and did not use the rest of my 300rds I had set aside. Why bother?

Right now...I am DONE with all things Glock. I am going to clean it up and take it and trade it for a Walther PPQ or HK USP Compact 9 and call it good. I will hang on to my 2 gen 2 guns but NO MORE new Glocks....ever!

Just thought I'd let you know my results...I am not wasting one more red cent on this damn pistol or wasting any more time on it. Sixty plus dollars just totally wasted.

You all can do what you want...but sorry...life is too damn short to keep playing around with these iffy POS guns.

-brickboy240
man, i really hate to hear this.......i was hoping to get back into glocks if this apex thing really worked out......

im with you, though, brickboy.......glock can go suck it....too many other good guns out there that work as they SHOULD without having to spend $$$$$$$$ on BS franken-parts and tons of ammo to see if its fixed......

#114 ·
Another 200 rounds of Brown Bear and 200 rounds of Blazer Brass fired today, most of which was fired by my bestest newbie 65 year old buddy.

All rounds fired fine, all ejected in a nice little pile 3-4 feet to the right. I was standing on his right side, and all the steel/brass landed right at my feet. (except the Underwood 10mm, I was ducking that hot brass, twenty feet away).

Not sure what to make of things, I'm trying my best to make this thing fail.

Dipped extractor. Not sure the ejector, I have yet to take it apart or clean it.

I want to make this thing choke, give me some ideas. 2600 rounds fired as of today.

I'll be the test subject for the only one that works.

#115 ·
I have no doubt that some folks are experiencing troubles....so much so that I traded off my brand new G21 Gen 4 for a new(ish) G37 yesterday.

I was concerned.

#116 ·
Well I installed the Apex extractor and it seemed to hold a dummy round while I had it apart. I also hand cycled a few dummy rounds and they all ran through fine.

I then took the G19 out with 4 boxes of new factory 9mm ammo. 2 boxes of Federal Champion and 2 boxes of Winchester White box. All 115gr fmj ammo.

Guess what...the Apex part made NO DIFFERENCE at all!

Yes, I still got 2-3 pieces of brass to the face per 15rd magazine. Literally no difference over the factory dip MIM extractor at all.

Disgusted...I just stopped shooting and did not use the rest of my 300rds I had set aside. Why bother?

Right now...I am DONE with all things Glock. I am going to clean it up and take it and trade it for a Walther PPQ or HK USP Compact 9 and call it good. I will hang on to my 2 gen 2 guns but NO MORE new Glocks....ever!

Just thought I'd let you know my results...I am not wasting one more red cent on this damn pistol or wasting any more time on it. Sixty plus dollars just totally wasted.

You all can do what you want...but sorry...life is too damn short to keep playing around with these iffy POS guns.

-brickboy240
That was a Gen 3 right? Randy Lee stated on M4carbine.net that the new glock extractor was based around the gen 4. And that it may not work on Gen 3 guns. He also was stated that he was thinking about making a one for Gen 3 guns. I can provide a link if you like.

#117 ·
Just picking my simple brain.

I cannot fathom any appreciable wear on a steel extractor from a brass cartridge case, even a metal injected molded steel extractor, it's still steel.

There is something fishy going on in late Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glockville......I don't think it's an extractor issue.

#119 ·
#120 ·
My Glocks work but I can't resist sticking my nose in where it isn't welcome.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

#122 ·
This morning I switched the Lonewolf 9mm extractor for a newly received Lonewolf 40cal extractor. Shot a hundred rounds of a mixture of Aguila and Federal cheapo ammo. I got 100% great ejections out of my FDE 19. I am going to purchase 3 more 40cal extractors for my other late model Gen 3 Glocks. My other 19 ejects at 95%, so with this set up I expect 100%. The two 26s are pretty good, but I figure what harm could I do to change them out too.

#123 · (Edited)
I'm sorry I have reason to post in this thread, but here goes.

My 1 week old G19, Gen 3, TTLxxx, August 30, 2012, new style non dip extractor, has the BTF bug. I've got 250 rounds through her and get BTF about 5% if the time. It's all been shot indoors. Had the wifey spot for me the last 70 rounds. It's the real deal, not cases bouncing off of the range partitions.

Anyway, swapped the extractor, load bearing and spring, and safety plunger and spring with my 2005 G17. I'll report back with the results Saturday.

Scratch the above idea, just ordered a Gen 4 30274 ejector to try. Will report back after the range test.

#124 ·
Hey I missed seeing this thread fellas before I posted my update on my G17, but here you go:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1448223

Your comment on the extractor being slightly forward of the breach face because of inaccurate milling makes perfect sense. The 40cal extractor is a little thicker in the claw than the 9mm extractor. So, that places the claw a little closer to the breach face than the 9mm component. That would account for the better grab and better extraction. Maybe as the somewhat functioning 9mm extractor wears in a bit the tolerance is so much out of whack that it now spits out brass willy nilly.

#125 ·
Took my fixed (Glock replaced the ejector) Gen417 to the range today for the second outing since it was replaced. Round count now 2050 rounds.

After a couple of boxes of WWB I started shooting blazer brass. Out of the blue after nearly 500 trouble free rounds since the ejector replacement, the brass to the face started. It wasn't every couple of rounds, it was EVERY round hitting me in the forehead and face. It got so bad I had to stop shooting.

The damn thing even fed Federal Champion last range session. I am very frustrated.

#126 ·
Took my fixed (Glock replaced the ejector) Gen417 to the range today for the second outing since it was replaced. Round count now 2050 rounds.

After a couple of boxes of WWB I started shooting blazer brass. Out of the blue after nearly 500 trouble free rounds since the ejector replacement, the brass to the face started. It wasn't every couple of rounds, it was EVERY round hitting me in the forehead and face. It got so bad I had to stop shooting.

The damn thing even fed Federal Champion last range session. I am very frustrated.
Which extractor do you have? They installed the 30274 ejector?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.