close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

If You Were Going to Buy a Tablet RIGHT NOW...Which One Would You Get?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Nalapombu, Oct 3, 2012.

1. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Probably my regular legal pad. It's done just fine for me all these years I see no need to change now.

:wavey:

2. boomhower

boomhower

Personally I think it's going to be $300. I don't think they are worried about it impacting iPod Touch sales. They are completely different devices. The Touch's are portable gaming/MP3 systems. A tablet is a tablet. Sure it is going to cost some of those sales but by in large not a huge affect. What they are worried about is $200 Nexus 7 and the like impacting their market share that can certainly boil over to the phone side. It's the whole ecosystem in effect. If you have one your more likely to get both. Have an iPad? Well your more likely to get an iPhone. Same with Android. After you buy the same app a couple of times you will get rid of one and make a decision. Been there done that.

3. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Just FYI. Craigslist has some smokin hot deals on late model macbook airs. From what I can tell about half price. I'd take a year old craigslist MBA (which is what I'm on at the moment) over anything else on the market new if a notebook is what you need.

4. Black&TAN

Black&TAN Senior Member

Nexus 7 in whatever capacity you feel would best suit your needs.

Great specs, good OS with a GUI that is easy to navigate, at an excellent price point. While Google is surely making money through advertising strategies, and gaining ground in market share, they are not making much off Nexus 7 hardware, particularly in the 8 GB flavor tablet. Bang for the buck, it can't be beat IMO.

For those looking at a Nexus, consider to hold off a bit... Google is said to be aiming for a $99 price point for the holiday season. While specs will likely not be mind blowing, could be worth a look.

sent via Tapatalk

5. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

I have an ipad 2 and am looking for a 7" tablet to replace it for travel (ipad is too heavy), used primarily for in flight entertainment and quick document reference. I figured I'd go to Best Buy and drop $250 or so on one without hesitation but after playing with them I can't seem to do it and find myself holding out for the elusive minipad.

Nexus gets a lot of negative hits on reviews.
    Fire HD isn't expandable and limited to 16GB in stock.
    Samsung just feels cheap. Black border around the screen feels overly large proportionally......like for this footprint why didn't they give me a bigger viewable screen?

I'm not in love with the iPad. I want a filing system. However, at least it feels like a quality device when you hold it.

Now some will say what do you want for $250? I agree. I'd be willing to pay more than $250 for a quality 7" tablet.......and I suspect Apple knows this.

6. Black&TAN

Black&TAN Senior Member

Just curious, what negative reviews on the Nexus 7 are you reading? Heavy hitting tech sites like c|net, engadget, etc. have given great marks.

sent via Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  7. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Agreed. Mine has been outstanding.

8. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

No sense whatsoever in buying now with such a major release coming.

The invites for the release announcement on the 7.85 ipad mini are supposed to go out next week. Interesting to see where the price points will be.

9. sbhaven

sbhaven

Agree as well. Mine work great.

There are some complaints about screen lift and a few other issues, but its hard to tell how wide spread the issue might be. Some of the complaints seem to be by the some people flooding the various android forums. There is bound to be issues reported when marketing a new product, especially if the buyers are of the geek variety.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

10. coastal4974

coastal4974

Their Jelly Bean rollout has been racked with problems. That’s why I didn’t want to get one before they had it figured out.

But I’m getting tired of waiting on them, maybe it’s time to look again.

11. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Negative reviews was in fact the wrong phrase. Things like no rear camera, no cell radio, only 8GB of memory and no expandability were negatives that stood out for me.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/8301-13489_53-57481465-10389930.html

ETA: Scratch the expandability thing. That was fire hd

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  12. PrO...

PrO...

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

13. sbhaven

sbhaven

The Nexus 7 has a 16gb version too. Supposedly some are working on attaching cell radios to the N7. And the no back camera, well the Kindle Fire didn't have one either. Frankly I have yet to use the front camera on my N7. With the addition of a cheap USB-OTG cable and a free app one has access to USB storage devices, including SD/microSd/Flash drives, and other external USB devices.

Much of the complaints about the N7 stem from people comparing it to more expensive tablets like the iPad, and expecting it to be something it's not. It's a low cost media consumption device. Fortunately the development community is finding ways to add more capabilities.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  14. roger123

roger123

I love my iPad, I already had an iPhone so I had apps and was used to the form factor. I have replaced my laptop but for one thing and that is Garmin Mapsource. I still need a computer for mapping, but other than that I never take out my laptop.

15. sbhaven

sbhaven

Garmin does have several apps for iPhone/iPad...
    http://www8.garmin.com/apps/

If your tablet supports GPS, there are several apps, both free and paid, that will allow for offline (no cellular/wifi service) GPS mapping. Currently using Navfree USA: Free on my Nexus 7 for offline mapping. Its not as good as my Garmin Nuvi GPS but its usable.

This issue brings up the point that while a tablet or cell phone can do many things, there are times when having a dedicated device like a camera or GPS is better. Tablets and cell phones tend to have compromises in hardware or software since they are designed to so many things versus being dedicated to only one task.

16. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

17. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Well, yeah that's kind of why I ended up buying nothing. I probably went in with the wrong expectations.

18. Timotheous46

Timotheous46

I use a motorola xyboard and really like it
    Wifi is spotty around here at best. The ability to use the 3g network is really helpful.
    As a matter of fact i'm typing this while on a treadmill at the gym

Tim

19. sbhaven

sbhaven

One of the big problems with the Nexus 7 and why so many initially bashed it was because of the Asus Memo 370T (demo'd at CES this year) which the Nexus 7 is based on. The 370T was a just about perfect, it had a memory card slot, HDMI output, back facing HD camera with LED flash, GPS, NFC, Blue Tooth, and other features for an Asus estimated price of $250 or less. Hell, the Nexus 7 motherboard is even stamped "Asus ME370T". To make things worse, when Google demo'd the Nexus 7 at the Google I/O conference they showed the tablet doing screen mirroring via what appears to be an HTML connection. There were even pictures showing the HDMI port. Turns out they used a modified, non consumer release, version for the demo.

The Nexus 7, or Kindle Fire HD, or other 7 inch tables are not for everyone. They do have their drawbacks. For me typing on a 7 inch tablet is a little difficult. 10 inch tables are not for everyone either, they too have drawbacks, for me it was the larger size (can't pocket carry) and weight.

No tablet will satisfy everyone. For me the Nexus 7, at the time, had the most features for what I could afford, and was getting really good reviews. Sure I wish it had an memory card slot, back facing camera, and or HDMI/MHL support. But it doesn't. However, there is an easy workaround to the no memory slot issue, and there is supposedly a possible workaround to the HDMI/MHL issue in the works as well. Plus there are hacks to enable the use of a 3G dongle on the Nexus 7.

All in all I've been very satisfied with the Nexus 7 since I bought it in late July.

Edit to add: Here is the Google IO conference video where they demo the screen mirroring that is not available (as of yet) on the consumer released units.
    [ame="http://youtu.be/JKY9SPCki2s?t=8m27s"]http://youtu.be/JKY9SPCki2s?t=8m27s[/ame]

20. Gareth68

Gareth68

Yeah, but you are likely still upset at overpaying for your first tablet...

[​IMG]

:whistling: