close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

If You Were Going to Buy a Tablet RIGHT NOW...Which One Would You Get?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Nalapombu, Oct 3, 2012.

1. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Fixed it for you.

BTW:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUCpOYdG8hM&feature=related"]Opas IPad - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    I agree with that, I'm used to 55WPM on a tactile keyboard. I'd be really impressed if I find anyone that can reach that on a touch screen k/b with any degree of accuracy.

3. You're information about the Nexus 7 OS is wrong. Currently all N7 tablets ship with Android 4.1, aka Jelly Bean.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

4. drumr04

drumr04

Mar 13, 2010
    I just bought an Asus Transformer tf300. I picked it up from Amazon "used" for $270 with tax. I've only been using it for a day but I really like it. Its great for chilling on the couch checking the forums or watching YouTube. I was looking at the tf700 at ~$460 but I couldn't justify the extra money for a metal case, slightly faster CPU, and higher res screen.

5. Viper16

Viper16

Apr 2, 2007
    Oklahoma
    iPad. I know alot of you are apple haters, but the large catalog, fan base, and support blows all the others away. You will 9 times out of 10 always see a release of application for the iPad first followed by the android market.

Do not expect to replace your laptop and people who think they can with the "right" tablet is kidding themselves. IF you require a keyboard or windows based then a small netbook might be the better option.

I use my tablet everyday for 1-2 hours. I have begun to use it in the work field. My sister, a Federal Probate officer, is issued am IPad as their "laptop" and have apps for access to everything, so they can work anywhere.

6. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Good post.

You know I got into this one-bagging kick when flying and I'm looking to trim ounces. iPad is very heavy and primarily only used for movie watching on planes and pdf references when working. I'm wondering if a 7" tab might be the ticket here.

7. wjv

wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
  8. ray9898

ray9898

May 29, 2001
    Georgia
    Ipad 2. Great value right now considering the 3 is out and it is still more than capable for what it does.

I also added a BT keyboard/stand combo. I know some said earlier it was 'pointless' but I found it makes browsing and typing much more comfortable to me.

9. Blankshooter

Blankshooter

Jul 7, 2010
    Exactly right. It's all personal preference. I can't stand typing on a 7" tablet and found a great keyboard on sale shipped for less than 30 bucks. I don't use it every time I turn on the tablet, but worth having nonetheless.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    It is. I quit carrying my 12" Mac laptop because of the weight. And it doesn't weigh much.

Everything NMglocker posted is true. A tablet IS NOT a production device. It's something you can stuff in a pocket for light use on the go. IMO the N7 is the perfect size at a ridiculous price. I looked at an iPad, but due to the size, weight, and price you may as well go with an Air.

11. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    concur. hit the nail on the head.

Once in awhile, a tablet can step up and get a notebook sized job done if you have no other choice, but its tedious.

Though not a tablet, the macbook air is in the same space. If i had procured a macbook air first and had limited funds, i'd skip the tablet altogether.

No one should be buying any tablet this month, at all, until the ipad mini comes out so that can be assessed. I do have some limited use for a tablet as a consumption device, but do defer to the ipod touch to watch video instead of the bigger iPad if i wish to be discreet. gets the job done. IPAd is mostly for a bigger screen if i'm viewing on the go and have the time to deal with/carry it.

12. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    Funny how people try and turn the tablet back into a notebook.

Macbook air is the future. Genius in style, design and function. maximum overdrive with an IPAD-close form factor and mega productive by comparison, plus you can just watch on it if that's all you want to do.

13. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

Apr 25, 2012

I had no idea that existed. Looks like I'd break it within 2 months though.

To answer the OP, I am probably getting the already recommended 7 inch Nexus. I love playing on an iPad but the screen is just too big for prolonged handling.

But I plan on watching movies on it too so maybe I'll wait and see what Apple comes out with.

14. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Apple's dominance of the tablet market is declining fast. Currently it is down to 52%. a Year ago Android had less than 20% of the tablet market. Today it holds 48%. That is a huge increase in market share in just a year.

Look for it to continue. A year from now expect to see Android with the dominant market share.

As it did with Smartphones Android will dominate not by building a BETTER tablet than iPad but by building CHEAPER tablets with reasonable performance and features.

15. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    The N7 is great for movies. Just DL VLC beta and go to town. I love my iMac, but iOS is rapidly losing ground to Android for a reason.

16. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    100% Yup.

If you can, as G29 says, check out the 11" air for travel. Complete game changer.

17. Like others have said the tablet will not replace a laptop. Like others have said typing on the 7 inch Nexus 7 can be difficult. And it kind of defeats the purpose to have to drag along a keyboard to use the tablet for heavy typing. However you can use voice typing like I am now to type messages and replies.

As others have indicated the iPad mini is coming out soon and while Apple tends to charge significantly more for their products it maybe worth waiting to see what hardware the mini has at what price point.

While some claim the Nexus 7 memory is limited, you can expand the memory with the use of a USB-OTG cable and the addition of a free app. With the use of this cheap cable you can access USB external devices and hard drives along with SD cards and micro SD cards.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

18. coastal4974

coastal4974

Nov 2, 2009
    I’m waiting for the TF700 to ship with a stable Jelly Bean OS. If that does’ t happen soon, I’ll give Galaxy another look.

19. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

Feb 2, 2005
    State of Denial
    If you want a 7" size tablet, the Nexus 7. It's the best price to performance combination there is.

If you want a 10" size tablet, the iPad 3. It's the best tablet, period (and I love my Android tablet).

For equally powerful devices with equally nice screens and equally up to date operating systems, it comes down to form factor. Almost all Android tablets are 16:10 or 16:9--much longer one way than the other. That's like a paperback, and it's fantastic at 7 or 8 inches and smaller. In the 10 inch range, that becomes unwieldy and I think that it's absolutely stupid that almost every Android tablet at that size comes in that screen size ratio. For large tablets, the iPad's 4:3 screen ratio is the most sensible.

20. rppnj

rppnj

Feb 1, 2006
    Our whole family have iPads...me, wife, daughter, son-in-law, both grandkids...and...most of our friends...we love our iPads and and so does everyone else I know who have them!