close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

If you went to Parris Island...

Discussion in 'The US Marine Corps Forum' started by K9Glocker, May 2, 2007.

1. K9Glocker

K9Glocker Shootist

Nov 29, 2002
    The Great Northeast
    then you would remember this part of a really long night!

[​IMG]

Sir, Yes Sir and Semper Fi to all!

2. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Oct 21, 2005
    J-Ville NC
    Ahh yes, no sleep and hair in your collar, good times- good times...

3. JohnNC

JohnNC

Nov 25, 2005
    Back home again
    I really remember that really long first night, and I recognize the stainless steel desks (bolted to the floor), but I don't remember getting the awesome haircut until the next day.

4. Kingslayer

Kingslayer My New Title

Jan 20, 2006
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    I don't remember. Then again, there's not much about my first few days there that I can recall. I remember getting off the bus. I remember sitting in the barbers chair and that's about it.

5. pjva04

pjva04 Snub Lover

I remember thinking that cold breakfast of eggs, toast, and sausage they handed out while we were sitting at those desks was about the best damn meal I ever had.

6. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Aug 20, 2002
    Virginia
    after the haircut but with no papers---No Sir, I am not in the Marines

"I Got off the train to smoke a cigarette!"

7. pjva04

pjva04 Snub Lover

:laughabove: :rofl:

8. Bonk

Bonk Millennium Member

Nov 8, 1999
    Circa 1988, that actually happened. A 17 year old kid flew into Charleston airport to visit his grandmother, who lived somewhere on the SC/GA line. He got lost looking for the exit, and wandered into the nearest bathroom, which happened to be where some PI Marines were coralling the next busload of recruits as they got off their flights. He comes out of the john, and an overeager corporal throws him in line for the next bus, despite the fact that he's carrying a suitcase (unlike the rest of the recruits) and had no orders. Despite his protests, he was taken to PI, and got the whole initial issue and haircut. It wasn't until the third day there that they actually figured out that the poor kid had not, in fact, enlisted. They called his grandmother and parents, who by then had filed missing persons reports on him in two different states, and gave them the red carpet treatment around the base.

9. Slateman

Slateman

Aug 19, 2005
    Thats funny :rofl:

BTW, I assume that picture is "The Moment of Truth?"

I leave Thursday . . .

10. K9Glocker

K9Glocker Shootist

Nov 29, 2002
    The Great Northeast
    Yeah...a really long moment. You have no idea and no one can explain it to you. Good luck, warrior and Semper Fi.

Always remember that those who have gone before you are the true meaning of the Marine Corps.

[​IMG]

11. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Honk Honk CLM

Jan 2, 2005
    Taylorsville, KY
    I went in Nov 85. Different building, but the effect is there. :supergrin:

:patriot: :usmc:

12. Slateman

Slateman

Aug 19, 2005
    Oh yea, I guess I should have mentioned this before, but I made it. A while ago in fact. Already in the fleet :D

Yea, that was a really, really long night/day/night . . .

13. tarbe

tarbe

Mar 3, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I recall the strangeness of feeling even the lightest breeze on my scalp.

I recall kids puking and passing out.

I recall thinking "I really don't want to draw any attention to myself....attention is BAD!"

Platoon 188 PISC August 1976

14. USMC1369

USMC1369

Apr 24, 2007
    AZ
    Take a good look at that picture. There are a few motivated fools who already had that haircut when they got on the bus. There are a few long haired youngins' in the back hoping they're butt ain't next; and here we are - smiling at them all.

:usmc:

15. BullsEye10X

BullsEye10X Semper Fidelis

Nov 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I spent the longest night of my life in that receiving building on June 7th, 1997. Still remember like it was yesterday!
    :patriot: SEMPER FI! :usmc:

16. Coogan

Coogan Original "G"

Nov 17, 2003
    Eastern PA
    I had graduated the day prior - I was getting the Eagle, Globe and Anchor tattooed the morning your journey started.

17. BullsEye10X

BullsEye10X Semper Fidelis

Nov 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Small world, eh Coogan?
    I remember just a few days before graduation, our platoon had gone to get back our personal items (clothing and possessions that were taken from us that first day). We passed by some brand new recruits, still wearing their "go-fasters" with un-bloused trousers so they could get used to the heat, being run around every which way by the receiving DI's. No one said anything, but we were all thinking "Those poor bastards"... That was the point I realized how glad I was to have made it without getting recycled.

18. 93GT

93GT The Ogre

Jul 6, 2002
    I remember that being the beginning of being awake for another 30 hours straight in 2000. You put your head down, but didn't dare to doze off. The phone call home with the prompt was funny.

That being said OCS inprocessing was much less stressful as far as what they imposed upon you, but the self-imposed stress just remembering what it was like to be in a boot camp environment again and anticipating it. Different ballgame all together down there, at least the crap was shorter lol.