close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

If you Started your "Glock Journey" Over...?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ViennaGambit, Mar 17, 2012.

1. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit

If you started your Glock ownership over again, with the knowledge you have after owning a few...

Would you stick with the same models you owned?

Would you own different models?

I've only been into Glocks for 6 months now, and I currently have a G26, G17 and G30... I am very very happy with this lineup...

I did however go through a .40sw phase and wound up owning a 23 and 22, which I sold after never really warming up to them...

In hindsight, I probably should have kept the G23 and just bought a conversion barrel. I still think I may add a 23 again to round out my collection.

How about you?

2. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

If I started over I'd probably go with my favorite Glock first, the G21, and then a G30... After that probably the 34 and a 19. After that who knows but those 4 would be where I would start over at.

3. BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ Glockalfeliac

I got my first, a G23, when I was in college. Thinking back now I should've started with a G19 because of ammo costs. I was shooting about 1000 rounds a month in college and the extra money in my pocket would've made a difference. At the time (1997) 9mm was largely considered a weak round, so I went with a .40 instead. I was between a G23 and a G30 at the store and made that decision based on ammo cost. My second Glock was a G23C, third was a G24, fourth was a G22, fifth was a G32, all while I was still in college. My dad funded a couple of them and I bartered welding services for the others. In 1998 was offered a G26 for $240 and turned it down because it was 9mm.

I got into the 9mm when I was getting the Mrs. into shooting more. I got her a 26, then a 19 came along. I started shooting a significant amount of 9mm myself after ammo prices spiked post 2008 election/obamination.

If I were starting again today I'd go buy a G19, G34, G20, G23, G35, and an AA conversion kit and frame. I still like 9mm, .40, and 10mm.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  4. bac1023

bac1023

5. Blstr88

Blstr88

I've only recently bought my first 2 Glocks, however if I could start my entire "firearm purchasing career" over again, I'd completely and totally skip over my .40 S&W phase. I spent way too much on guns/ammo trying to get comfortable with that caliber and never could. I'd go straight to .45 and then dabble into 9mm...

6. Prryan45

Prryan45

I started over.First ones I owned were a 22,21,30 and 19c.Sold them all.Went back to them 9 years later,first with a 26,19, and 17 all Gen 3.I love these but didn't care for the former ones.

7. Whtwolf14

Whtwolf14

G19 for HD/Range

G26 for CCW/off duty/bug

8. Hogpauls

Hogpauls

Well I started with the G23, quite a number of years later the G30, 2 years after that G20SF. In between the Glocks I bought other brands, but I wouldn't change the path I went if I could. If I thought I missed something along the way I think it wouldn't be too late to get it now.

9. S&WGlocker

S&WGlocker

Only thing I would do differently if I could, keep all those freaking Glocks I have sold over the years.... at least 20 different guns, makes me ill thinkin about it!

10. frankemp

frankemp

It would have been a G19, followed by a G23, instead of the G22 which was my first gun in 1993. I still have that 22 and I like it, but would have done better with the 23.

I am an LEO now, and until I retire, I am stuck with that they tell me I can carry, which is a G26 and a G17, and I am fine with those guns. But I don't have too much use for the others at this point.

I bought some other things which I regret. The AMT Backup .380 is chief among those dumb purchases.

My biggest regret is never having picked up a P7 when they were making them.

Second, I would should have spent the extra cash on a Colt Python .357 instead of the S&W Model 586 which I still have.

Oh and a Browning Hi-Power would have rounded out the collection nicely.

I have a bunch of kids now, who I love, but there isn't too much extra cash for buying guns.

Note to the younger, unmarried guys: buy your guns now!!!

11. MikeG36

MikeG36

I started my “Glock Journey” with a Gen2 G22 and Gen2.5 G27. A year or two later I added a G36. For some stupid reason, I got rid of the 22 and 27. (I'll never learn.)

Years later continuing my “Glock Journey” with a Gen3 G19 and soon a Gen4 G23. I may add a G22 at some point but will probably pass on the G27 as the G23 will fill that role.

12. Roger H

Roger H

My first glock was a G21 and recently got g19 for the wife. only change would be to buy the 19 sooner. would love to have a G17L or G34 maybe some day

13. smokin762

smokin762

I wouldn't have changed a thing. I am very happy with my choices.

I bought my Glocks in this order.
    G23
    G30
    G21- Sold it.
    G38- Sold it.
    G19
    G32

Now, I know what I like and what I don't.:supergrin:

14. Bruce M

Bruce M

If I knew then what I know now, I would have another G34 instead of a G17. Of course I also would have got the Smith 547 that at the time seemed priced a bit high at either 400 or 450 new in the box and one or three other mistakes like that also.

15. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

I would have kept my G22 RTF2 with gills. :steamed:

I would have bought more OD models. Only have one and I like them.

I maybe would have kept my G23 and tried a OEM G32 barrel. (smacks forehead - I could'a had a V8 moment) but I wasn't even interested in .357 SIG then.

I would have probably skipped the G19. I really like the full size and the baby models for the most part. I'll be keeping the G19 but I don't really do anything with it. It rarely leaves the safe these days.

I kept all my extra .40 mags, so when I re-buy a G22 again I will be pretty set. In fact I think I will just do that and get a G22 Gen 4 and a G31 barrel. Or maybe a G22 RTF2 gills again and a barrel, or maybe a G22C and a couple barrels. Course the new Gen 4 models like the G23/32 actually feel good in my hand compared to my Gen 3 G19, so.... Then again, I'm waiting for that rumored Gen 4 G30...:faint::rofl:

16. cole

cole Millennium Member

17, 26 & 30. I'd not bother with .40sw anything again.

17. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Knowing what I know now, I would have just bought a 19. I first got a 23 but traded it for a 19 after I found I shoot 40 like crap.

18. Thomasc18

Thomasc18 NRA Life Member

I'd keep the same order 19, 21, 22. Next in line is the 23.

19. Kaonashi

Kaonashi

My Glock journey is just starting or by some measures hasn't even started but I'd change my thought process if I could start over again.

I'm a stubborn person so here's a few things I've already got locked in my mind.

Before even taking my safety course and firing my first gun I've decided that Glocks are going to be the best gun for me based on ease of use and quality. Each manufacturer has an informative website and can I just say thank god for YouTube. Of course I'll rent and try out other guns, but it would take a lot for me to change my mind.

I decided on a rough length of time to range test before even considering buying my first gun. I figure that's smart so that I get plenty of practice with a rental before considering making a not inconsiderable purchase.

The final thing I'm pretty much set on is the gun. I figured it would be best to start small so 9mm and from perusing Glock's site, this board, and other reviews and boards I'm set on the 17.

Sorry to ramble on but this is about if we could start over so if I could start over I'd clear all my preconceived notions and my thought process so far and just start blank, withholding judgement and decisions until after I at least went through the safety course, got to fire a pistol, and rent a few different guns of different manufacturers, calibers, and body sizes.

20. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

I would've done everything the same. I love my OD G23, and even though my OD G27 had the erratic ejection issue, I was able to fix it and learn so much more about Glocks in the process of fixing it.