close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

If you had to pick a .22LR load for self defense, which would you choose?

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by RMTactical, May 19, 2012.

1. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    Are Velocitors the hardest hitting .22LR load? I would think so.

Yes, crappy self defense caliber, but please humor me.

2. Blackshirts

Blackshirts

Apr 8, 2012
    PHX, Arizona
    Any .22lr HP with many loaded mags available. I don't think the difference between standard velocity and high velocity is going to make much difference. It will be the number of holes you can punch in them.

3. RMTactical

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    Really? I would think that ANY advantage you can get in the energy dept would be helpful with a .22LR. Such a small caliber bullet could easily be deflected by a bone or something.

Truth is, your same philosophy is also true of any caliber. What makes the shotgun so powerful is not one single 00 buck pellet (which is roughly equivalent to the same power as a round of .32ACP ball), but the collective firepower of 9 of them hitting at once.

4. jvbronco

jvbronco

Mar 9, 2012
    Look up CCI Separator line. They are pre-cut in such a way that they separate into 3 (?) distinct pieces of lead that all split as they impact. In ballistics gel, they split into a pattern that resembles a tri-pod.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. Ida81

Ida81

Apr 30, 2012
    My initial thought was a CCI mini mag hollow point but with a bullet that small and light, maybe a FMJ would have more reliable penetration.

6. JBL13

JBL13

Oct 24, 2010
    Northern Utah
    I have several semiauto .22 handguns that are pre-positioned for bugging out when they're not with me at the range. I haven't tried every type of .22 ammo out there, but so far, the CCI Mini Mag is the only one to reliably run all of them (one eats anything, another one won't eat Federal bulk or Stingers, etc.). I keep a stash of hollow-point Mini Mags with each gun.

I hope I never have to discover if my round of choice will adequately protect me and mine against bad guys.

My .22 rifles and revolvers are less picky.

7. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Texas Redneck

Feb 25, 2010
    Burkburnett, TX

That would be the CCI Quik-Shok ammo, and would be what I would recommend for a 22LR.

Burk

8. Shooting someone with ANY .22lr is like stabbing them with an ice pick.

The most important thing is that the gun go bang when you need it.

I would go with the most reliable ammo in your gun.

Luckily with .22 lr you can afford to test many options.

9. Titurel

Titurel Brick Eater

Feb 12, 2006
    Germany
    I read an article a while back on this topic. Their conclusion was that the CCI SGB (small game bullet) was about as good as you could get. According to their tests the hollow point and pre fragmented bullets do not add to potential lethality in a self defense scenario and the fast, flat nosed SGB was better at penetration and, um, stopping power.

10. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Dec 20, 2002
    Minnesota
    First I would start with CCI products. They have the most reliable priming in my experience. They must go bang.
    From a carbine I would pick Velocitor.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEDo_PbAvJc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEDo_PbAvJc[/ame]
    I got 1388 fps when I put Velocitors over the chrono (16" barrel), but they barely break the sound barrier from a handgun. Slow burning powder designed for long barrels.

Handgun? Stinger. Nickel plated case for sure feeding and easy extraction, high velocity.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-HcehBj-Tc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-HcehBj-Tc[/ame]
    Of course with the longer cartridge length you would have to make sure Stingers work in your gun. They are freeking awesome in my CZ Kadet.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  11. guncats

guncats

Apr 10, 2012
    any 22LR rounds will fall into the "too light" catagory for self defence, so the heavier the better. My vote goes to the Velocitor.

Stingers are pretty hot but a bit too light, won't go deep enough to reach the spine.

12. AZson

AZson

Oct 5, 2005
    Tucson
    CCI Stinger is the best. I saw what they can do to a rabbit when I went hunting, it about blew it's neck off.
    I attached a photo that a co-worker sent me when he went to the range. In the square are holes Stingers made from a Walther P-22 pistol using Stingers next to them are .45 acp holes. Hard to tell the difference hu?
    They are the only ones my wife carries in her CCW gun.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=219568&d=1318123866

13. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    Depends what .22LR ammunition actually feeds, fires, extracts & ejects consistently reliably in your .. pistol, doesn't it?

Whenever I've seen diminutive .22 pistols brought through qual courses-of-fire, it was always one or another .22 shooter (usually a Beretta or Walther owner) that was holding up the line because of a stoppage or other malfunction, or the .22 loads they were using simply not igniting. Even the .25's did better ... :whistling:

One upon a time when I carried a pocket .22, it was loaded with Stingers. That was many years ago.

14. RMTactical

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    True. However, there are a variety of different types of .22's.

I guess it can boil down to, are you shooting a pistol or rifle? Is it semi, bolt action, revolver, etc? Those all play factors in whether it will function reliably and how well it will do ballistically.

15. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    Yep, which is why I said it depends on what .22 ammo will work in your particular .22 (which you didn't identify, anyway).

I used to have outstanding luck with the Rem Golden Bullet of the 70's-90's. I also found the CCI Stinger to run well back toward the end of that period. The bargain W-W & Federal stuff was a coin toss. (I had less luck with the Fed stuff back then in some different .22's)

What's the .22 you're stuck using (meaning if you must use a .22), and what ammo have you tried in it and experienced consistently solid functioning?

What runs in my .22's may not do you much good at all.

Besides, the way .22 RF's are primed, and the QC of itty bitty .22 semi's, overall, can often make it a coin toss when it comes to finding a consistent brand that runs in any particular gun.

If I were once again going to do much shooting with .22's, especially semi's, I'd try some of the current CCI ammo and see how it ran nowdays.

No experience with the Velocitor's. Is it supposed to be better than Stingers?

Will your .22 run with them?

16. rem2429

rem2429

Nov 26, 2004
    Llano, TX
    Velociters.
    Only other thing I would consider is cci mini mag 40 gr solid.
    Penetration and reliability ate key considerations.

17. The most reliable .22 lr ammo I have seen is Ely Target ammo.

I've seen hundreds of thousands of rounds fired without a failure due to the ammo.

18. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    Interesting.

I got 1366 avg. (10 shots) out of a 20" Savage barrel last weekend. Decent accuracy.

32gr Stingers ran 1560 out of that same barrel. Accuracy was horrible.

I tested ten different .22 LR rounds out of the Savage. Results will be posted later.

I plan to take the same rounds out and test them in my Mark II pistol, and my 16" Kimber, and my 20" Ruger 77/22, and my Ruger 10/22.

ETA - here's the link to the Savage test.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  19. glock_collector

glock_collector

Dec 23, 2011
    CCI stingers get my vote if ya can find em...

20. Please also test them out of a short barrel pocket pistol or revolver if you can, since this thread seems to be about self defense options.