close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

If you don't support Obamacare

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by certifiedfunds, Jul 1, 2012.

1. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    I assume you want to end Medicare and Social Security too?

How are they any different?

2. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Feb 18, 2009
    Yes I do.

3. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    I'd curtail it quite a bit. There is no reason a working person should have less coverage than medicaid. Medical treatment is a commodity, not a right. Yes that means that if you don't plan ahead, you might die sooner than you will otherwise. No one lives forever.

4. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    In a perfect world Medicare and Social Security would not exist,
    because government has no business in a person's healthcare or their retirement.

But we don't live in a perfect world and thanks to the US government we probably never will.

We are too deep into Medicare and Social Security to just end them cold turkey.

Millions of people would suffer and a lot would die without the support these two programs provide.

The solution is to start weaning the American people off the government teat gradually, by slowly over time getting rid of Medicare and Social Security.

It took us years to get into this mess and it may take that long to get us out, but it can be done.

Anyone who recommends the immediate elimination of these two programs is either just cruel and heartless or doesn't fully understand the magnitude of the problem.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  5. Guss

Guss

Jul 1, 2010
    Tampa
    But the reason they existed to begin with is because your way didn't work.

6. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    "my way"?

You have no idea what "my way" is.

What do you mean?

7. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Feb 18, 2009
    Wow! You agree with Ron Paul.

8. nursetim

nursetim

Mar 1, 2006
    liberalville N. M.
    These programs didn't always exist. What did we do before them? That is what we need to do again. If health care was a right then my medical provider collegues and I, would be compelled to provide medical care without compensation. No one in their right mind would think this is right. It kills any incentive to learn how to take care of people and then we would have a REAL shortage of medical providers.

9. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota

OBAMA is the difference.

10. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    Yea, but I have a better chance of being elected president.

11. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    Philosophically, I'd tend to be against these.

That said©, old age presents some unique problems. When you're old, you're basically uninsurable because its almost guaranteed you're gonna get sick at some point.

As for SS, it wouldn't be nearly so vexing a problem if it was ordered correctly. A massive calculation error dating to the Johnson administration has payouts massively disproportional to contributions. Also dating to the Johnson administration, abuse that leaves it raped and pillaged in order to balance the budget makes it nothing more than a slush fund for govt spending. If this didnt' exist people would probably would have a much better view of it.

The difference between these two and o care is that attacks everyone BREATHING. No sector, no special problem to be solved, just everyone. Too blanket, too redistributive. MEdicare and SS in theory are deduted from you and have a specific payout to come back. Certainly for the first half of your life you may never get sick or have medical demands out side what insurance you might normally have. Its invasive, all intrusive, has the jackboots riding shotgun over it, and is total, complete socialized medicine who's ultimate goal is complete government healthcare. Its about control and nothing more.

12. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012
    I used to listen to too much talk radio and I was against obabmcare, then I met someone who really needs it and doesn't have any other options. Preexisting conditions make her uninsurable and medication costs are insane.

She's been thrilled that it was upheld and I'm happy for her that she won't have to choose between feeding herself and paying for 6 different meds that make her perfectly fine and healthy as long as she has them. And I know there are a lot of people out there that are worse off than her.

That's more important to me than anyone having to pay a tax or whatever else the haters want to :crying: about. They can all go piss up a rope.

13. W420Hunter

W420Hunter

Jun 25, 2007
    Ohio
    Yes I do. I think I can do a much better job with the money I put into it then the fed can.

14. greyhoundafw

greyhoundafw

Jan 2, 2012
    Greer SC
    Problem is medicare/medicaid are pretty messed up before this. Medicaid will pay for umlimited 911 trips to ED, but only a very limited number to primary care provider. At least 1/2 the calls I run are as a medicaid taxi to the ED for a cold or other minor problem. I believe it pitiful that people in our country have to choose between food and medications. But until the existing problems are fixed, no system will work, because the same people who administer what we have now will be in charge of what we are gonna get

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

15. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

Mar 14, 2010
    On the move ... again!
    Ending these programs is great ... if you pay back the money we all put in. I am all for it! When do I get my check? :upeyes:

16. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    You didn't "put in". You were taxed. Same as obamacare.

17. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    Term health indemnity policies solve the age issue and allows insurers to price in the risk.

Otherwise someone else must subsidize care. You either pay for it or someone else does.

18. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas

That's very generous of you.... :upeyes:

[​IMG]

19. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    So how much have you given her?

20. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    To be honest people died long before they were too sick to work. A century ago life expectancy was 45, now add 30 years.

CavDoc has gone over how he can save people if he finds out they have cancer early enough. How many more years is he adding to their lives? What about people such a Dick Cheney? How much longer has he gotten due to medical advances?

Quite frankly to eliminate SS and MC immediately we have to accept people will die who otherwise wouldnt . Now this would probably have consequences beyond health. What happens to the economy when people start dying at 45 vs. 75?

First on the list of things to do is kill Obamacare, then move on the others. Unwind them in a sensible way. Throwing a temper tantrum is not going to make things better, in fact it lessens the odds of the people going for it.

Remember everybody wants their slice of the government cheese. You will have to show them a different way in order for them to stop lining up for it.