If you can't kill it with a 9mm, you need a rifle

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Andy W, Nov 12, 2012.

1. They do, and they issue G23's to agents out of the academy last I heard.

But what are the chances they know more then
    internet commando's?? . (sarcasm)

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Why do you say that?

3. With a large organization like that, their requirements are different than might be a single person's requirements. They want to standardize their weapons. They want to have something small enough that people with smaller hand or slighter builds can easily fire. For the agents who can handle full power 10mm loads, they probably get kind of shortchanged.

4. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Do you use a handheld flashlight like this?

[​IMG]

5. Back when they adopted the 10mm they
    down loaded it to the 10 lite 180/950
    They never issued full power 10mm loads

What does the crime lab have to do with
    ballistic testing?

6. I've never been under the mistaken notion that the legal system was about finding "truth" or dispensing "justice". Their job performance is rated by how many convictions that they get and the possible innocence of a suspect is just an inconvenient fact that can be gotten around if necessary.

7. My understanding was that during the initial testing phase, it was determined that the full power 10mm loads proved to be too much for the smaller agents, so they then downloaded it to the 10mm-lite (which eventually became the .40SW when the brass was shortened, primer size switched to small, and maximum pressure reduced).

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with their reasoning in this, just that what might be appropriate for a large group of people will not necessarily be appropriate for one particular person.

8. That's true, the should have kept the 10mm
    and let those that could qualify with full
    power loads use them & give the others the
    10mm lite. Everyone has the same gun just
    a different load

9. No. I believe clarkz71 was correct. Before any initial testing the specification stated that no pistol tested should have a load with more momentum that the standard 230gn .45ACP ball. At that point no consideration was given to the 10mm. It was a 10mm enthuiast on the team who gaot permission to add it and handloaded it with 180gn bullets to that momentum. In that form it scored highest on the battery of tests by a small margin over the .45ACP and the FBI ordered a very large batch of ammunition to the 10mm lite specification to go with their new pistols.

The pistols they chose were single stack magazine and just a little heavier than the 1911 Government so recoil was quite mild and anyone who could shoot the 1911 could shoot that 10mm. The rest is just rumours that spread on their own or were spread for malicious reasons.

English

10. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Because the NYPD had a highly-publicized shooting where they fired dozens of rounds and accidentally shot nine innocent bystander civilians.

#171 SCmasterblaster, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  11. I don't have any vested interest one way or the other on the 10mm. It's just one of numerous calibers that I own. Each serve a purpose (or I just bought the firearm for the 'ell of it). Although I probably like a M1911 better than any other firearm, I suspect that it is because that is what I have shot the most over the years, either in the military or afterwards. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I like an exposed hammer single action semi-auto. Sometimes I carry a .45, sometimes a .357SIG, sometimes a 10mm. I have even been known to carry a subcompact 9mm and .22LR / .22mag "mouse gun", but that's for when I'm visiting places that are either rather anti-2nd-Amendment or *extremely* anti-2nd-Amendment.

12. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

Father(45lc), and son(45acp), That's my kind of family!!!

13. Father(45LC), Son(.45ACP), and Holy Spirit(10MM)

THE HOLY TRINITY

:rock:

:supergrin:

14. bdcremer

bdcremer The No SpinZone

Lol. That's not a flashlight, it's a light-saber.

15. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You do realize that they didn't really shoot nine innocent bystanders, right?

16. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

Great post. It's very reasonable, and well thought out.

17. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

What were the details? Vid looked bad. I thought 9, as well.

18. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd first like to give SCmasterblaster a chance to explain, since he brought it up, and seemed very matter-of-fact in his assertion.